Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chaos Dice, Make the impossible happen without edge
Wizard
post Jan 5 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,114

While analysing the hit and glitch probabilities a thought popped into my head based on one of the ideas from 'Tweaking the Rules' on page 59.

In the standard rules if you have a dice pool of 2 it's impossible to get 3 hits unless you spend edge. Also you don't get to try at all if your dice pool is reduced to 0. Well the following rule gets around that:

For all tests replace one of the dice in the dice pool with a Chaos Dice, a different coloured or otherwise distinguishable dice. The Rule of Six applies to the Chaos Dice even when no Edge is used, otherwise it acts as any other dice in the pool.

Also if the dice pool is reduced to 0 or less and Edge is not spent to make a Long Shot then roll the Chaos Dice. Critical Glitches occur on rolls of 1 or 2 and hits only occur on a roll of 6. As this is the Chaos Dice the Rule of Six applies and as such it is possible to achieve multiple hits even when the odds are against it.

I haven't had a chance to play tested it properly yet but thought I might get some useful feedback from others who have tried similar things.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 5 2006, 06:46 AM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

The old Star Wars system had something similar: The Wild Die

You could reroll any six as many times as they came up, but if you came up with a 1, you would lose a dice. I'd say that in the case of SR4, you would drop one success on a 1. That might be fun. I remember liking the Wild die rule. Think I'll give that a try.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Jan 5 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (Wizard)
For all tests replace one of the dice in the dice pool with a Chaos Dice, a different coloured or otherwise distinguishable dice. The Rule of Six applies to the Chaos Dice even when no Edge is used, otherwise it acts as any other dice in the pool.

Also if the dice pool is reduced to 0 or less and Edge is not spent to make a Long Shot then roll the Chaos Dice. Critical Glitches occur on rolls of 1 or 2 and hits only occur on a roll of 6. As this is the Chaos Dice the Rule of Six applies and as such it is possible to achieve multiple hits even when the odds are against it.

That sounds like the "Chance Die" from the nWOD-system. It functions roughly the same way (only there's the rule of 10, not 6 ;) ).
And as for the Chance Die, it works well in that system. And since the Chaos Die only acts as a "special" die in case that no edge is used, it should work also in SR4, without being "too strong".

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 5 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
The old Star Wars system had something similar: The Wild Die

You could reroll any six as many times as they came up, but if you came up with a 1, you would lose a dice. I'd say that in the case of SR4, you would drop one success on a 1. That might be fun. I remember liking the Wild die rule. Think I'll give that a try.

I had this one die that for what ever reason was super wild, it would always give me an awsome roll in critical times.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 5 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #5

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

yeah, mine was wild too. It always rolled off the table some place. Damn thing. Rolled good though! :D

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 5 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Or you can leak any dice regardless of edge.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 5 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

how about take a leak on the dice?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.