IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dead Tree vs PDF, what do you prefere
What format do you prefere your fix of SR in
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 241
Guests cannot vote 
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 5 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Guests

So, as stated above, what do you prefere?

I tend to like dead tree more for the firt reading an between sessions references, but PDF is great for not having to haul 100lbs of paper to every gaming lokation. So I only take thous hard copys to the game session, which I intend to use most.

Paper Pros
faster reference
the new book smell
more comfortable to read, if you´r not a PDA fan

PDF Pros
does not get dirty, torn, eventualy falls apart and decays
very lightwaight

So, I´d vote for both, but conserning money, I more often end up only with the dead tree..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jan 5 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,996

I'm a fan of both as well. Additionally the ability to print select pages of a PDF and put parts of multiple books in a binder in any order you want can be very helpful. But there is just something about having a bookshelf full of SR Books that's very satisfying.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jan 5 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

PDF all the way. The new book is in that eye-straining Green, and smells funny, like they used weird ink. It is full of errors that were fixed on the PDF. When updates come out I can re-download the updated PDF for free. I can search it for specific phrases. For faster reference, I printed it out, 3 hole punched it and put it in a binder. I then typed out my house rules and inserted those in the binder right next to the rules they modified. When I started my campaign I gave each player a copy of the book with my house rules, so no one can say "But I don't have the rulebook!" PDF, baby.

+Quote Post
Inigo Carmine
post Jan 5 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,080

Both have their uses. For quick rules referencing, nothing beats a PDF. For extended viewing I need a hard copy because I can't stand reading a computer screen for more than a few minutes straight.

Also, since I lack a laptop, pdf version are non-portable for me :(:(.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 5 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

Nothing beats the *smack* of a good hardcover upside the head of an unruly player. A PDF in a binder just isn't the same.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jan 5 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

you haven't hit your players with a laptop yet.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 5 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

i orefer to use the good old fashion book, i can flip through it faster than clicking on my mouse looking for the right page.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Jan 5 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

PDF, it is less than half the price of the actual books when they turn up over here, and is released much much earlier.

Plus means I can read them in lectures.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 5 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #9

Guests

So you can have a leptop or PDA in lectures but no actual book? What are you studying :)
In my corner of the world pdf or hardcopy is the same price, mostly. Thought it would be this way everywere.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Jan 6 2006, 01:07 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

Computer Science, the books I see over here tend to be at least $70 AUD =(

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 6 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #11

Guests

Wow, thats harsh! No way to order them anywere else? But Your lucky if pdf is more practical to You anyway. Guess much of these preferences are simply based of what You´r used to.

BTW: Adam I´m sorry to divert this threat off-topic :talker:

+Quote Post
Reprisal
post Jan 6 2006, 01:35 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 97

I voted for the dead tree, though my vote would change to both had I a laptop.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jan 6 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Wow, thats harsh! No way to order them anywere else? But Your lucky if pdf is more practical to You anyway. Guess much of these preferences are simply based of what You´r used to.

BTW: Adam I´m sorry to divert this threat off-topic :talker:

Not off topic at all! Regional costs due to importing/shipping are certainly a factor that makes PDFs even more affordable than print books.

+Quote Post
Wizard
post Jan 6 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,114

QUOTE (Ranneko)
Computer Science, the books I see over here tend to be at least $70 AUD =(

MilSims has SR4 for AU$55 plus postage, that's the cheapest I have seen it for in Australia. Thats why I buy my stuff from Amazon. Even after paying for postage it comes out significantly cheaper than what I can get locally. The money I save goes towards the PDF which I can get my hands on immediately while I wait for the book.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 6 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #15

Guests

Ah, I meant the question about Rannekos studies, but never mind, was just blubber anyway :talker:

To add somthing to this otherwise pointless post:
One field in which pdf´s definitly rock are out of print products. These can somtimes be released in pdf, when reprinting them dosn´t make much sense economically.
Speaking of it, thanks to You guys for not trashing all the old stuff to raise sails for the new edition, like some companies tend to do these days!

+Quote Post
Orb
post Jan 6 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 8,061

I should say "Dead Tree", since its my job to sell equipment to turn dead trees into paper, but...

The PDF is so convenient. Easy to search and when I'm on the road I don't need to bring the book with me if I want to work on my campaign. Obviously its on my laptop, which I use when GMing.

I guess this is why so many of my customers are shutting down.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jan 6 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #17

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Nothing beats the *smack* of a good hardcover upside the head of an unruly player. A PDF in a binder just isn't the same.

Yeah, hittting them upside the head with the laptop is pretty rough on the hard drive & can get expensive after a while.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 6 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #18

Guests

Well, expirienced GM´s would have some long, hard, wooden or metal object besid them during any session, to simulate woundpenalties :S and to use against players degressing ot topic :dead: anyway, would they not? :twirl:

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 6 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #19

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I prefer hardcopies, as i can read them on the couch, in bed, where ever i want.
Printing a PDF and having it bound is no real option, the costs would be close to a "real" hardcover (unless you're able to print the pages at 0 costs in your company).

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Jan 6 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

I like both, when I can afford both. If only one, I would save a little longer for the paper version.

I run a SR game ported into another system, which means I carry core books for TWO systems to my game sessions. Carrying PDFs for the splatbooks I won't constantly have my nose in means less spinal misalignment on my part. For research and prep at home, I like the paper version.

Perhaps when a full page e-book reader gets a lot cheaper I might change my mind.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 6 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #21

Guests

wow, hardcopy just outmatched pdf+paper, didn´t look like this in the beginning.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Jan 6 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

I try to get both. Since i can't read my books at work, i can smuggle in my pdfs. :P

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 7 2006, 07:18 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

PDFs are good, but I also prefer to have hardcopy in my hands. I vote both, as long as both remain freely accessible.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 7 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #24

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Them trees want to be paper, so I need to buy a hardcopy. But the eBook never gets dirty, always flipps open on the right page, gets updated...

Remembering the lack of a german lector, I might even settle for english pdf only (won´t hold my breath for a german one).

My groups book count is four regular and two limited hardcopies, no pdf.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 7 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #25

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

nah, with a dead tree, you can get the whole open-the-book-to-the-page-you-want because it's the one you look at all the time. I love that. :love:

Besides, the new PDF smell don't do much for me. :(

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.