Kyoto Kid
post Jan 13 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #1

Bushido Cowgirl

Group: Members
From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

Just wondering

What happened to all the SURGE changelings after the crash?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 13 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

they stay changed :)

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Jan 13 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Surge is mentioned a couple of times in the book (both incidences can be found in the index at the rear of the book). It's there, just not mechanicalized for player use yet

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 13 2006, 07:29 AM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

really there shouldln't be much SURGE occuring in the game since it was caused by the comet, although it obviously can come up in some cases (Ganges anyone?). We never really rolled in our games, the GM just came up with what happened by what seemed appropriate (my gargoyle shaman got some gargoyle features and wings for example. Pain in the @ss when trying to buy a new armor jacket lemme tell ya).

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 13 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
really there shouldln't be much SURGE occuring in the game since it was caused by the comet,

You don't need SURGE happening in the present time in order to have a changling character.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 13 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

What he said.

+Quote Post
godboyimmaculate
post Jan 13 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 3,273

So did SURGE cause any "standard" goblinization? (Never read YotC).

I made an ork for SR4 whose background is that he was a human up until the Year of the Comet and then goblinized into an ork (he was in his 20s at the time) due to SURGE. Is this in keeping with canon?

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 13 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #8

Guests

Yes it did! Allso standard Metatypes were sometimes transformed into Metavariants. But for Orks and Trolls Goblinisation can hapen anytime even without the Comet (usually in puberty though).

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 13 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #9

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

It is also interesting to note that SURGE can cause re-goblinization and de-goblinization, as well. This could have interesting consequencesfor a character, such as a Tir noble suddenly becomming an Ork or one of Lord Torgo's most trusted lieutenants suddenly becomming an elf.

Security: I don't know who you are, but this SIN belongs to a three-foot tall dwarf, not a six foot tall human.

Changling: It's me, honestly. I just woke up this morning and I was a human.

Security: Tell it to the guys in lock up. Hands behind your back.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jan 13 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #10

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
It is also interesting to note that SURGE can cause re-goblinization and de-goblinization, as well. This could have interesting consequencesfor a character, such as a Tir noble suddenly becomming an Ork or one of Lord Torgo's most trusted lutennents suddenly becomming an elf.

Security: I don't know who you are, but this SIN belongs to a three-foot tall dwarf, not a six foot tall human.

Are you sure about this? I don't think SURGE causes metagenes to unexpress. That's the opposite of SURGE.
I don't think this is possible; I want references.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 13 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #11

Guests

I allso can´t remember this :(

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 13 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

Sureg was one of the greatest things to happen to one of my characters.

He had a heavy bounty on him and the surge according to the GM at the time change some of his physical features.

Now some of the Hunters figured this out after 6 years and are hunting again.

Stupid hunted flaw.

+Quote Post
godboyimmaculate
post Jan 13 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 3,273

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 13 2006, 04:46 PM)
It is also Security: I don't know who you are, but this SIN belongs to a three-foot tall dwarf, not a six foot tall human.

I'm telling you...if I suddenly goblinize one morning, I'm calling in sick for a week or so :)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 13 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

My mistake. That option only applies to humans and is just standard goblinization to ork or troll.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 13 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

i'm pretty sure you can go to the doctor and say

" Hey look i just grew 3 feet and a coupl of hundred pounds last night doc, i think theres something wrong with me."

6th world doctors have more than once dealt with this.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 14 2006, 05:47 AM
Post #16

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jan 13 2006, 02:29 AM)
really there shouldln't be much SURGE occuring in the game since it was caused by the comet,

You don't need SURGE happening in the present time in order to have a changling character.

sorry, not what I was trying to say. What I meant was that cahracters would no longer SURGE except by some exceptional circumstance (such as the Ganges, sometimes). There are still changelings of course, and you can still play them. It's just that you shouldn't have any charcters randomly SURGing.

Got the friggin "Paul-patrol" on me. :D .

And no, metas don't become humans, and I don't believe that you can SURGE into an elf or dwarf, although you can goblinize into an ork or human (or , apparently, an Obsidiman, like that guy in Yamatetus).

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jan 14 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

I had been saving these for myself since no one really seem interested in unnofficial rule conversions from previous editions, but here we go:

B: SURGE characteristics:

Characters may also begin the game as Changelings. Changeling is a 5-point Quality. It may be applied to any Metatype. Metavariants, once thought to be special sub-subspecies, have in fact been confirmed to be “Spike” changelings. Once the changeling quality has been bought, the changeling character then may spend build points on changeling qualities. These changeling qualities do not count toward the limit of build points that may be spent on qualities. Any number and amount of SURGE traits may be chosen, but the total point cost of the changeling’s SURGE traits must be between 20 and –20 BP.

Positive SURGE Qualities:

Astral Sight: The character can see into the astral. Treat as the adept power of the same name.
Cost: 10 BP

Claws or Talons: The character has claws or talons on both their hands and feet. The character’s unarmed attacks do physical damage. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.
Cost: 5 BP

Dermal Deposits: The character has dermal deposits, similar to those of a troll’s. (This stacks with a trolls normal deposits.) The character gains +1 ballistic and +1 impact Armor.

Fangs: The character has Fangs. They can make a bite attack that does physical damage. Fangs require an exotic weapon skill.

Feline Eyes: The character gains low light vision, but their eyes look like cat’s eyes. The character has horns on their head. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Gills: The character can breathe underwater. The character can also still breathe air.

Horns: The character has horns on their head. They can make a head butt attack that does physical damage. Horns require an exotic weapon skill. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Improved Hearing: Treat as rating 2 Audio enhancement, only without the ability to interact with technology (Since it is natural)

Improved Scent: Treat as a rating 4 olfactory booster, only without the ability to interact with technology (Since it is natural).

Improved Taste: Treat as a rating 4 taste booster, only without the ability to interact with technology (Since it is natural).

Long Tail: The character has a long tail that helps with their balance. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Marsupial Pouch: The character has a pocket formed naturally in his skin somewhere on his body. Treat as Skin pocket bioware, only it can hold up to 2 kilos.

Natural Venom: The character generates a natural toxin in his body. The cost depends on the rating of the toxin, any side effects, and the method of delivery. The maximum that can be spent on a venom is 20 BP, the least is 5. Refer to the chart for costs:
Effect: Cost:
Damage:
Per 2 DV power: +5 BP
Stun damage only -5 BP
Physical damage +0 BP
Secondary Effects
Disorientation +5 BP
Nausea +5 BP
Paralysis +10 BP
Vector:
Contact +0 BP
Injection (requires a SURGE weapon quality (Such as fangs) for injection.) -5 BP
Inhalation (Within 2 meters of the character when he attacks.) +5 BP

Prehensile Tail: Unlike the balance tail, the prehensile tail is completely under the character’s control. It may be used as an extra limb, though it lacks any digits for fine manipulation. Use the tail’s stats for any test it makes, and apply a –2 dice pool modifier to any test made by the tail if it requires fine manipulation. The physical statistics of the tail are ½ of the character’s. No matter what a tail’s strength, however, it can support the character’s weight. The character must get specially adapted clothing to accommodate the extra limb. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.
Cost: 15 BP

Retractable Claws: These act like the claws above, but can be retracted.

Satyr Legs: These legs add 10 meters to the running rate of a character. They also receive +1DV on kick attacks, and add 1 die to the character’s quickness for the purpose of jumping only. The character must get specially adapted clothing to accommodate the legs. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.
Cost: 15 BP

Thermographic vision: The character has thermographic Vision.

Webbed hands/feet: The character is treated as if they have swim fins at all times.

Additionally, the following traits may be chosen as SURGE traits: Ambidextrous, Animal Empathy, Astral Chameleon, Double Jointed, High Pain Tolerance, Magic Resistance, Murky Link, Natural Immunity, Resistance to Pathogens/Toxins, Toughness.

Negative SURGE Qualities:

Altered Eye Color: The character has an unusual color of Eye. It might be bright red, pink, neon green, slit eyes, swirls, whatever. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.
Cost: -5 BP

Altered Skin Color: The Character’s Skin is a weird color for their metatype. It might be red, blue, striped, polka dotted, or any other strange skin color and pattern. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Astral Hazing: The character generates a background count around himself. (Awakened characters cannot take this flaw.) Every hour a person with astral hazing stays in an area, it develops 1 point of background count, to a maximum of 5 points. All spirits hate him (Treat as spirit bane for all spirits) and Paranimals are afraid of him (Treat as Critter Spook.)
Cost: -20 BP

Bio-Rejection: A character with this Flaw may not get any form of Cyberware or Bioware, ever. Their system simply will not accept the implant. Any replacement parts must be cloned from his or her own DNA.
Cost: -20 BP (-10 for the awakened.)

Chronic Osteocuspus: A character with this mouthful of a flaw sprouts thorn-like protrusions from their skin. These thorns are grown out of the bone, and pierce the character’s flesh and skin. The wounds caused by this never heal. Though the bones can be trimmed, they will grow back over a period of four weeks, during which the character suffers a –4 die pool penalty to all checks. All armor and clothes must be modified to accommodate the spikes, and the character has to be particularly careful not to harm others through everyday interaction. Sadly, they will probably never be able to share physical affection with anyone other than a hardcore masochist. This also makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities. The character may also not get any skin-based cyberware.
On the positive side (If you consider it such) the character gains the high pain tolerance quality at 3rd level for free. The character also does (Str/2 + 1)P in unarmed combat.
Cost: -20 BP

Critter Spook: The opposite of Animal empathy, animals are never comfortable around characters with critter spook. The character has a –2 die pool penalty to all interactions with animals or Paranimals. Animals will frequently sound the alarm at a mere sight of the character, and will either run away from him or attack if he comes too close. Apply a –1 die pool penalty to anyone’s attempt to interact with animals in the character’s presence due to the character’s effect on the animals.
Cost: -10 BP

Cyclops: The character has only 1 eye, causing them to constantly have no depth perception. In addition, they look strange. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Dual Natured: The character is dual natured, allowing them to see onto the astral, but leaving them open to attack from the astral as well. A mage who astrally projects is not dual natured while projecting, but is otherwise dual natured at all times, just like a mundane with this flaw.
Cost: -15 BP (-10 BP for awakened)

Feathers: The character grows feathers, often in place of hair or in very visible places. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Pointed Ears: The character has pointed ears, like an elf’s. If the character is a metatype, their ears are particularly long, even for their race. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Scales: The Character has scales all over their body, or at least in very visible places. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Slow Healer: The character heals more slowly than others, due to changes to their system. Apply a –2 die pool penalty to all healing attempts, including magical ones.

Third Eye: This character has a third eye in the middle of their forehead. They may maintain depth perception even if one eye is injured. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Tusks: The character has tusks like an ork’s or troll’s. If the character is an Ork or troll, they have unusually large tusks. They may not be used as weapons. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Unusual Hair: The character has weird hair. It may grow in unusual places, be unnatural colors, or grow in odd shapes. This makes the character really stand out. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

Vestigial Tail: This is a tail, but unlike other sorts, it does nothing useful. The character must sit funny, buy special clothes, and put up with the stares of strangers. Such changelings may not have the human looking or Blandness qualities.

The following Negative Qualities can be chosen as SURGE Qualities: Allergy, Astral Beacon, Low Pain Tolerance, Sensitive Neural Structure, Sensitive System, Spirit Bane, Weak Immune System.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jan 14 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Chronic Osteocuspus was given a large negative value in the previous edition because it incapacitated the character for several months to get it, making the character unable to run and potentially lose their lifestyle and have to borrow money from team mates and such.

But in 2070, that just isn't going to happen. The comet passed by a long time ago, so the big incapacitation thing is years in the past - over and done with and relegated to character backstory. So the negatives are:

1. You have to get special pants (like a dwarf).
2. You heal slower (like a character with "slow healer")
3. You have to apply a belt sander to your body to have sex.
4. You stick out (like a character with non-retractable claws).

The positives are:

1. You do physical damage with your attacks (like a character with claws).
2. You get 15 BP worth of Pain Resistance.

---

Total scorecard: 20 BP worth of positives, 10 BP worth of negatives, and you need special pants and a half-hour thornicure if you want to get intimate with someone.

That sounds like it should be a zero, or even 5 BP positive quality.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 14 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #19

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Chronic Osteocuspus was given a large negative value in the previous edition because it incapacitated the character for several months to get it, making the character unable to run and potentially lose their lifestyle and have to borrow money from team mates and such.

Nope. It had the same value when generating a character, suffering from none of those factors.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
You have to get special pants (like a dwarf).

In fact, even putting on clothes becomes a whole new experience... and forget about using the tube without being sued.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
You do physical damage with your attacks (like a character with claws).

Nope. It just added +1PN.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
You stick out (like a character with non-retractable claws).

Worse - even people with multiple horn implants and a balance tail are less eye-catching... because they are strange, but 'just modified'.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 14 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Wow, some of you posters have alot and i mean alot of time to put up some info like that!

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jan 14 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

Feh. It took like an hour sitting with the old rules, figuring 1 BP from the old edition came to 5 BP for the new one, because all the old edges and flaws were updated teh same way.

Fairly simple, honestly. You could have done it. I jsut didn't want to start my SR4 campaign without some of my favorite parts of the setting, and couldn't wait for the rules to be officially updated.

You think this is impressive? have you seen my cyberware conversions, or my adept power conversions? Those took effort.

And each player in my game received a copy of the rulebook, printed from the PDF, with all of my house rules and expansions added in at the appropriate locations.

If your GM won't put at least this much effort into the game, I'm a little sorry for you.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 15 2006, 03:30 AM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Am I the only one that really hates -- and I mean hates -- Chronic Osteocuspus? As a player, as a GM, as a person with decent aesthetic taste, as a human being, as a Shadowrun and Earthdawn fan... I just loathe it. Period. With a hatred so pure and white-hot Lucifer himself might have once used such energy to ignite the stars, millenia ago, I detest the idea of it as a SURGE trait.

Is it just me?

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Jan 15 2006, 04:05 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

On the up side, at least two Immortal Elves would have expressed it. This is good, because we can point and laugh at their suffering. :P

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Jan 15 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

QUOTE (Critias)
Am I the only one that really hates -- and I mean hates -- Chronic Osteocuspus? As a player, as a GM, as a person with decent aesthetic taste, as a human being, as a Shadowrun and Earthdawn fan... I just loathe it. Period. With a hatred so pure and white-hot Lucifer himself might have once used such energy to ignire the stars, millenia ago, I detest the idea of it as a SURGE trait.

Is it just me?

I love it.

+Quote Post
LaughingTiger
post Jan 15 2006, 04:31 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,211

QUOTE (nick012000)
On the up side, at least two Immortal Elves would have expressed it. This is good, because we can point and laugh at their suffering. :P

*sings* It's Schadenfruede, making me glad I'm not you

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.