> nano scale batterys, for cybereyes and similar
hobgoblin
post Jan 17 2006, 01:35 PM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://sandia.gov/news-center/news-release...t-math/eye.html

this should take care of the trouble with how cybereyes and similar is powered, no?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MrMiracle
post Jan 17 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,164

I seem to recall in Man & Machine or one of the previous cyber sourcebooks that cyberware is simply powered by the same source as the rest of the body, converted to electrical current.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Jan 17 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

I already scooped ya. :)

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jan 17 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (MrMiracle)
I seem to recall in Man & Machine or one of the previous cyber sourcebooks that cyberware is simply powered by the same source as the rest of the body, converted to electrical current.

Man & Machine tried to say something about "natural bio-electricity," but the only electricity in a human body is in the nerves, and that would have trouble powering an LED, let alone a high-powered cyberlimb or computer chip.

Batteries have the shortcoming of running out of stored power after a while. That's not a problem for low-demand devices like cybereyes or headware, but cyberlimbs can demand hundreds of watts of output to match natural muscle performance. You'd need an impressive battery to power a cyberleg for a marathon or long march.

Which leads me to my perennial suggestion for cybernetic power sources: a fuel cell or other chemical power system that taps blood sugar and dissolved oxygen to generate electricity. Excess power (generated during sleep or desk jockeying) can be stored in a battery to meet peak demands. Recharging is easy: just eat normally.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 17 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #5

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Azralon)
I already scooped ya. :)

crap, i swear i looked :P

+Quote Post
Chandon
post Jan 18 2006, 03:29 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,115

QUOTE (Cray74)
Which leads me to my perennial suggestion for cybernetic power sources: a fuel cell or other chemical power system that taps blood sugar and dissolved oxygen to generate electricity. Excess power (generated during sleep or desk jockeying) can be stored in a battery to meet peak demands. Recharging is easy: just eat normally.

That's exactly what man & machine imples.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jan 18 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Chandon @ Jan 18 2006, 03:29 AM)

That's exactly what man & machine imples.

Would you quote that bit of M&M at me, or at least give a page number, please? I might be thinking of something else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 02:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.