Reply to this topicStart new topic
> when mages get board, we laugh we cry
Straight Razor
post Jan 20 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,761

ok... is there any thing stoping a mage with a telescope from writing there name on the moon with shape earth spell, or for that matter Zotting satellites down.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 20 2006, 03:09 AM
Post #2

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

It depends on how you interperate background count rules. If you decide that there is no penality for casting into a BC from outside then absolutly nothing.
If you decide that there is a penality for casting into a BC from outside then the manawarp in space will pose a problem.

This problem is easily overcome with filtering, centering, and sacrificing.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Jan 20 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

Sounds like an MIT&T fraternity prank.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 20 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

What do mages need to have in order to cast long-distance? Can they just use telescopic contact lenses that aren't digital read-out?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 20 2006, 03:20 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

It would have to be a really good telescope, because certain distance modifiers apply. Then you have to deal with the mana warp. Finally, you have to consider area: even Harlequin wouldn't be able to actually see his name if he wrote it on the moon (well, unless he used the spell over and over and over again).

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 20 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Area does pose a problem with shape earth, but not for some other spells. Imagine casting Improved Invisibility on it, for example.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jan 20 2006, 04:23 AM
Post #7

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Sounds like an MIT&T fraternity prank.

Nah, U of Chicago MT&P school

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jan 20 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #8

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Nah. Sounds like a single student prank.

Writing "MIT&T" in the moon would be a frat prank. :)

And zotting down satelites sounds like a good idea to me. They'll have a weee bit of a problem figuring out just WHAT is going on.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jan 20 2006, 04:42 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

The spell's Shape Earth, not Shape Luna.

+Quote Post
Soylent Plaid
post Jan 20 2006, 05:23 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 7,170

I'd allow it. TN 1000. Special drain for casting through the mana warp: (+20)DN. Feel free to give it a shot.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Jan 20 2006, 05:28 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

just get a great ghost dance done for it...

who cares if some freshman die, it's part of the initiation! hehe.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 20 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #12

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Ares is actually workin go that (or close enough). Project:Artemis, on oen of their space stations, is about casting spells from space to Earth, and Earth to space. Really, once they get the hang of it, it's only a matter of time until they start renting out Billboard space on the moon. Imagine looking out your window at night to see NERPS!!!! instead of the man on the moon. Now that's marketing exposure!

+Quote Post
Calvin Hobbes
post Jan 20 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,900

Does Magic even operate in space? I thought mages died if they accessed the astral out of the atmosphere.

+Quote Post
Bitten Twice
post Jan 20 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,182

They usually do. But this time it is just the magic accessing the space.
Magic entering a dead/warped space. Now what would happen to that magic?

I can't help but thinking that the magic is either moving through nothing and hence has nothing to react on (bear with me, my mind is fuzzy from coffee and not enough sleep) OR moves through warped magic thick as molasses with a serious magical backfire for the magician.

I think it is explained in some of the books I've got. but I am too fuzzybrained at the mo. :wobble:
:spin: Help?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 20 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #15

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Calvin Hobbes)
Does Magic even operate in space? I thought mages died if they accessed the astral out of the atmosphere.

well, the books say that mages astrally percieving can die or go insane. Space is a Lv 10 Mana Warp, and any astral actions result in 16D damage each round for deep space. So take tons of damage and reduce force of spells by 10, But yes, it is possible to do magic in space technically. Just very very difficlt and dangerous. Filtering metamagic ceratinly helps.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 20 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

Outer space has a rating 10 background count most probably due to extreme sterility and cosmic radiation. Space stations have background counts around 8 or 9.
Background counts that extreme will cause quite a bit of damage to any magician who tries to cast spells or percieve astral. Don't even think about projecting. Incidently, it doesn't impeed adept powers in any way (there is an exception with attribute boost which causes drain).

Background count can be dealt with by using filtering. Also, sacrificing and centering can offset the extreme drain. By some reports there are spirits which live in the warped astral plane of outer space. The person who made these reports tore his own eyes out. I don't know if that makes him more credible or less credible.

Either way, I do believe that a toxic shaman could be aspected towards outer space with the right conditioning and would be able to function in space just as well as any other would function on Earth.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 20 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #17

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Magician Adept Virtuso-es, boost his own Magic Rating by 10, Centers to offset drain and proceeds to write his name on the moon. By canon TNs, it isn't that hard.

+Quote Post
noname_hero
post Jan 20 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 2,030

That's because the rules are not written with the purpose of preventing every game-breaking idea the players might come up with, and leave it to individual GMs.

Hey, why target the Moon? Why not target the *Sun* with a Powerbolt? It is a single target, it is a natural object (Object Resistance 3)... I can hit it with a 2D Powerbolt, and if I score *one* success it will be destroyed!

See what I mean?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 20 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Of course, but how many Body does it have?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jan 20 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (toturi)

If object body is a function of mass (like vehicle body is) one hell of a lot.

+Quote Post
noname_hero
post Jan 20 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 2,030

QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 20 2006, 07:29 AM)

If object body is a function of mass (like vehicle body is) one hell of a lot.

It has (going by the rules) no Body, because it is neither living nor a vehicle. It is (according to the rules) a single non-living target, one not of vehicularial kind whatsoever, meaning the TN to hit it is equal to its Object Resistance (which is 3), the minimum required Force to affect it is 2, and it is a valid target for the 2D Powerbolt in question...

Oh... The actual TN might be a little higher, because of the glare modifier, but that's about it...

8) :D 8)

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jan 20 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

QUOTE (noname_hero)
It has (going by the rules) no Body, because it is neither living nor a vehicle. It is (according to the rules) a single non-living target, one not of vehicularial kind whatsoever, meaning the TN to hit it is equal to its Object Resistance (which is 3), the minimum required Force to affect it is 2, and it is a valid target for the 2D Powerbolt in question...

Actually, I don't believe the living/non-living nature of the sun is ever addressed in canon. One could make an arguement that the earth should be treated as a living body, since it has its own aura. Who's to say that the sun doesn't have an aura as well?

Also, I'd like to see a quote from the rules indicating that vehicles are the only non-living objects that have body ratings. That just doesn't make sense to me.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jan 20 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Apathy)
QUOTE (noname_hero @ Jan 20 2006, 11:08 AM)

Actually, I don't believe the living/non-living nature of the sun is ever addressed in canon. One could make an arguement that the earth should be treated as a living body, since it has its own aura. Who's to say that the sun doesn't have an aura as well?

Also, I'd like to see a quote from the rules indicating that vehicles are the only non-living objects that have body ratings. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Actually it may well be indestructible because the Sun is a totem in one of the magic sourcebooks (Either Awakenings 2057 or MITS)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 20 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

what's a powerbolt going to do to the sun, anyway? make it explode?

+Quote Post
JRDobbs
post Jan 20 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 7,818

Doesn't shape earth have a volume restriction? If so, it may take prohibitively long to shape out a "tag" visible from Earth.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.