Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shameless in Seattle, Player/GM Confession Thread
Anythingforenoug...
post Jan 27 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,054

In one of the games I ran I had a player who was an Elven PhysAd assassin, and I allowed him to have a very high rating weapon focus, said weapon focus being a DiKote enhanced mono-whip concealed in a fingertip compartment.

So, I was wondering-

Are their any Players or GM's out there who have stories about characters who, shall we say, might be considered to go slightly beyond what would be generally considered reasonable for a PC in the Shadowrun setting that they would like to share with the group?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 27 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

Not that my monitered ass can recall, but you have to remeber in Shadowrun no one has Hitpoint and we all can be extinguished by any one, it's one of those things i love about this game.

Acccually now that i think about it I did let a player have the apptitute edge for brawling, and damn it made a difference , especially with multi strike, so now as a house rule the Aptitude edge is only used for certain skills now.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Jan 27 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,430

And risk the ridicule of the holier than thou canon gm's?

Are you insane? :eek:

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 27 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Why is canon holier than thou?

If the PC can bond the weapon focus, then I won't mind. However if the force of the focus is higher than 6 at chargen, then the game balance in your campaign might need some help.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 27 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I would mind the combination of monowire and surface treatments, especially of this kind, but thats just common sense + knowledge of material sciences.

I encountered an active member of the order of sun, moon and stars once. The player of said character was enough reason to leave the group. Some styles don´t mix at all.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jan 27 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (toturi)
Why is canon holier than thou?

I don't think he meant that canon itself is holier than thou, I think he was referring to the people who throw down the "I play pure unadulterated no house-rule canon, therefore I am a superior GM" attitude.

Canon has it's place for sure, in fact I agree that if you get to far away from Canon the game gets hard to play. But the occasional houserule to speed up play or change the flavor to better suit your group isn't always bad either. The occasional experimental game can be fun too.

We once ran a short term campaign where the character creation rules went like this: No restriction on cyber or bio either cost or rating, your essence MUST be below zero, no contacts, no other gear. The plot the team were Cyberzombies constructed in a Aztech/UO clinic hidden in the Jungle who go rogue and break out, and have to escape Aztlan to avoid being recaptured. It was different and it was a nice break from the usual.

+Quote Post
Nyxll
post Jan 27 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,455

Wow, that monowhip focus is on par with someone allowing a fully automatic heavy pistol or explosive flechette.

I think the most uncannon thing I have experienced, was my GM having a vampire spirit possess my char for a few sessions, so I had the benefit of regeneration, and an essence of 6. Because it possessed me, it didn't tap the 1 point of essence I had left.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 27 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Our very first campaing... One of the players was a Shapeshifter Adept who became a Vampire. Yeah...

+Quote Post
Dog
post Jan 27 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

A few years back, we made an extremely liberal interpretation of the rules regarding hydraulic jacks that had my "cyb-orc" leaping from building to building and over twelve lanes of traffic.

There were a few other times like that, but that's the only one I'll admit to right now.

+Quote Post
Calvin Hobbes
post Jan 27 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,900

I let a team start with a Citymaster once, because I liked their A-Teaminess so much...

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Jan 27 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,430

Stevebugge: that's kinda what i meant. I was also referring to the GM's that like to punish their runners for having a tool/gun/widget that might give them an advantage in a particular situation.

Since there are a few brave souls out there willing to divulge their dark, slightly munchy secrets, I can divulge one of ours.

Becuase it allowed for some AWESOME roleplaying, and becuase I liked the idea, I allowed one of my players (elf physad, with mental issues) to embrace his unknown, unmentioned drake side.

/GASP

How un-canon! :eek:

+Quote Post
The Stainless St...
post Jan 27 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,414

I have:
  • Allowed Sacrificing Metamagic
  • Changed the Available Design Options By Frame in the CC (to be more broken than ever)
  • Allowed the Aptitude Edge for Magical and Comabt skills
  • Regretted it in almost every case

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jan 27 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #13

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

In the last campaign, I let the team sell off an Antonov 335 heavy transport they "acquired". Even at the standard 1/3 value it still came out to a lot of :nuyen: .

Thought it might make some of the characters consider retirement (particularly the pesky mage with the Mind Probe spell)

Thought wrong.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 28 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #14

Guests

Well, "a friend of mine" had his very first shadowrun champaign escalate into some kind of bad "starsherifs"-rippoff. To my def.., ehr, my "friends" defense, it was an alternating gm round, his very first sr round and the other guys starded throwing Mecha and UFO´s, was allso only 13 or 14 by than. "he" never ever participated in any alternating gm round afterwards! (which tragically means allmost always being gm and nearly never playing, since most of m.. "his" buddys won´t play something other then sr anymore)... Oh, man, feals so dirty thinking about this first champaign :oops:

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jan 28 2006, 02:16 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Thought wrong.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jan 28 2006, 04:42 AM
Post #16

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I'm currently "allowing" the Aptitude edge for magic and combat.

"Allowing" meaning they took it and we got a full session into the game before it came up. If I take it, they'll whine about it, so I let them keep it.

Never again, I believe is the proper expression.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 28 2006, 06:23 AM
Post #17

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

how about an ally spirit going free after 5+ years when the summoner is vivisected (becuase he was a drake), then returning later to free it's former master and making him a hidden life receptacle? :D

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Jan 28 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

I remember a munchy windfall in a game once

early 3rd ed

the GM had us attacked by a 12 man squad where they wee all BBB street samurai

one player had a contact foor laundering second hand cvyber

the GM immediately went inti damage control by showing the rigger the private jet section... so e could do his preplanned international runs and we lost all our cash in one go.

+Quote Post
DeadNeon
post Jan 28 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 6,299

I allowed a PC to be a twisted path adept. It lead to some great roleplay between he and the other players.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 28 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #20

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (DeadNeon)
I allowed a PC to be a twisted path adept. It lead to some great roleplay between he and the other players.

By "great roleplay" I can only assume you mean "him dancing naked save the jacket he'd made of their weak mortal skins, after feasting on their eyeballs and skinning them with only the tremendous inhuman strength of his fingernails."

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post Jan 28 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

I've always allowed Aptitude for specializations instead of skills, but left it open to any skill. And after about 3 years of having that rule, I've only seen one character take it.

As for horrible characters, there's always this (which I'm sure some of you still remember and have mental trauma associated with). But I immediately took the sheet away from the player, put it in my pocket, and told him he could never have it back, so it doesn't really count.

Anyway. In my current game, I'm making the shapeshifter a Hidden Life receptacle. But the spirit is rather evil (it was originally going to be a Horror), and will be able to influence his actions and sometimes possess him. So this should be fun.

Edit: Oh yeah. The player who made that awful munchkin thing? He later ran his own game and used that character as a major NPC. When we decided we didn't want to meet the guy for a job offer, we were teleported to the meet and held in place through some unnamed magic/technological force. And upon refusing to take the run, we were teleported to where he wanted us anyway.

This post has been edited by Sahandrian: Jan 28 2006, 04:50 PM

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jan 28 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Sahandrian)
Edit: Oh yeah. The player who made that awful munchkin thing? He later ran his own game and used that character as a major NPC. When we decided we didn't want to meet the guy for a job offer, we were teleported to the meet and held in place through some unnamed magic/technological force. And upon refusing to take the run, we were teleported to where he wanted us anyway.

WOOOO! WOOOOO! All aboard the Mary Sue Express! Good times, good times. 8)

+Quote Post
MrMiracle
post Jan 28 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 8,164

I allowed a player to name his character "Neil the Ork Barbarian" after an obscure reference to the voice mask cyberware in the first Street Samurai guide. His real name was Neil, so we all found it quite funny.

+Quote Post
Quix
post Jan 28 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,764

First time I ran SR2 in college I allowed a PC to be a baby dragon. (Duck and cover) We cut his mental and physical stats to shreds, didn't start with anything higher then a 4. Unfortunately a few points of hardened armor made him a B#@$ in combat. Plus since dragons were listed with an essence of 2d6 I let hjim roll for it, essence of 11 and by our understanding a magic rating of 11. That was a small problem[sarcasm]

Running and hiding

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Jan 30 2006, 04:01 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

Let's see, as a player:

Played a magically active vampire
Bandersnatch DJ (one of the other pc's, my lighting desighener, was a firefly shaman)
A troll sammy that got turned into a Dzoo-no-qua then possesed by a force 10 greater form fire elemental.
Spider shamen named Recluse

Things I've allowed as a gm:
A char to be duel natured
Banshee

I'm sure there are others, I'll have to think of it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.