Closed TopicStart new topic
> Half of texas?, how did mexico do it?
ChuckRozool
post Feb 2 2006, 01:26 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,706

Ok i recently got back into running the shadows again, we are four sessions into our, uh, campaign(?).
Now because of this i was looking over the history again just for the heck of it, when i come to the part about mexico (aztlan) taking half of texas. So i'm like, 'what the hell is that all about? How is that even possible?'. Now maybe it's because i'm a texan, so naturally i am bias, but come on.
Does anyone have some knowledge perhaps i didn't see...

I'm mean given the history of texas and several other factors this is kinda hard to belive.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 2 2006, 01:27 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Stupid politicians and blood spirits.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 2 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Quite a bit of military power was lost when the USA broke up. While Texas would have almost certainly been able to reapproperiate the some equipment for their own miliary the overall reduction in military effectiveness would have be staggering. Certainly, Mexico could beat Texas in a traditional ground war. Remember the Alamo. Aztlan's only problem would be guerrilla resistance and by then the populace would have been so apathetic as to not care if Hitler's Reanimated Head made their laws.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Feb 2 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Texans are some pretty scary folk....I would imagine a large quantity of "minute-men" type groups because of the large quanity of civilian guns around...

+Quote Post
ChuckRozool
post Feb 2 2006, 02:04 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Quite a bit of military power was lost when the USA broke up. While Texas would have almost certainly been able to reapproperiate the some equipment for their own miliary the overall reduction in military effectivness would have be so staggering. Certainly, Mexico could beat Texas in a traditional ground war. Remember the Alamo. Aztlan's only problem would be geurilla resistance and by then the populace would have been so apathetic as to not care if Hitler's Reanimated Head made their laws.

that makes a bit of sense but you still have to take into account the fact that (in no particular order):
- currently texas has about 104,000 soldiers in the armed forces, that's the third largest amount with california being the 1st. When the split happens i would assume that 2/3 if not 3/4 of the texans in the armed forces are going to chose the confederacy.

- There are currently 3 army bases 4 airforcebases and 2 naval bases in texas. i'm not sure how that would come into play but there it is.

- Now when aztlan decides to invade, you better belive that at least 90% of texans in the armed forces, no matter which side they're on are gonna find there way back to texas

- currently there are about 8 guns to every 1 person in texas

- historically tejanos (hispanic texans) played a large roll in texas independance i'm sure that wouldn't change in the future. and there's quite a few hispanics in texas, including myself Then there's all the illegals, they left for a reason, you could probably count at least 1/2 of them to resist.

- this might not play any significant role but, catholicism is outlawed in aztlan. there are quite a few catholics in texas. i'm sure some of them wouldn't want aztlan in texas as well.

-now this prolly won't matter, but, i'm from a border town and while ppl of border towns might get along with their nieghbors across the river they're attitude towards mexicans is prolly more harsh than most. take that how ever you'd like.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Feb 2 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

"Welcome to the Aztlan-Texas shooting war. On the Aztlaner corner, a triple-A megacorp called Aztechnology. On Texas' corner... uh... well..."

Looks like a Don King fight, doesn't it? ;)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 2 2006, 02:24 AM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Aztlan was part of the NAN because they classified Hispanics as Native Americans (which is technically accurate). If the USA decided to use the same standards it is possible that every tejano was rounded up and put into a death camp, greatly reducing any loyalty they they'd have toward Texas. Tenjanos fighting for Texas would be like Jews fighting for Nazi Germany.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 2 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Texas was in one of it's rather ill-considered independant phases at the moment, with apathetic (if not openly hostile) NAN neighbors, and Aztlaner forces were backed with magic. By the time the Lone Star did get help from the CAS, they'd already lost sizable chunks of territory, and the territory was probably ceded to Aztlan in ensuing peace talks.

It's not that Texans didn't fight - but they were facing a modern military force with the latest arms and magical support, and they didn't have the resources to regain the lost land.

+Quote Post
TheNarrator
post Feb 2 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,631

Hispanics are a major demographic in the U.S.... and growing fast. One in seven Americans is Hispanic. It's pretty much impossible that Hispanics could have been put in the camps... it would have increased the size of the job fifteen fold.

Native Americans? Not that numerous. 1% of the population, give or take.

Hispanics? 14.1% as of 2004.

Of course, the entire notion behind the US-NAN war is pretty preposterous. People would never have stood for a return to take-the-Indian's-land policies or large-scale internment camps. We're hardly a perfect people here in the United States, but we don't generally start reoppressing people we've ceased oppressing. The public outcry would make people's complaints over Guantanamo Bay seem like a quiet whisper. But the balkanization of all the major world powers is part of the Shadowrun flavor, so I whistle and look the other way as regards the metaplot. But increasing the size of the population being oppressed by a factor of 15 would just be too much to believe.

+Quote Post
ChuckRozool
post Feb 2 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

I understand that this is FASA/Wizkids/Fan Pros world and they can do what ever they wish... But would you agree that Mexico/Aztlan taking 1/2 of Texas is a pretty impossible feat. I think alot of Texans would die before they let their state be taken by any foreign goverment and the cost to take texas or most US states would be too costly to try.

+Quote Post
brennanhawkwood
post Feb 2 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 7,468

I do not remember if it is something we found in one of the Shadowrun game books/novels or something a GM made up, but I remember our gaming group getting a kick out of the tale of the Texan's fierce delaying campaign as they desperately held off the Aztlan forces headed for San Antonio...the purpose of course being to allow the Texans to cart off the Alamo (eventually reassembling it elsewhere) rather than allowing it to fall into Aztlan hands. A little silly an idea, but given a couple of Texans I've known I could see them trying it.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 2 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (TheNarrator)
Of course, the entire notion behind the US-NAN war is pretty preposterous. People would never have stood for a return to take-the-Indian's-land policies or large-scale internment camps. We're hardly a perfect people here in the United States, but we don't generally start reoppressing people we've ceased oppressing.

History shows that that simply isn't true. The right propaganda can turn any majority gainst any minority and Lone Eagle was more than enough propaganda.

It is natural for one social group to oppress another. It may even be necessary. Having a 'them' to attack makes 'us' more cohesive.

QUOTE (ChuckRozool)
I understand that this is FASA/Wizkids/Fan Pros world and they can do what ever they wish... But would you agree that Mexico/Aztlan taking 1/2 of Texas is a pretty impossible feat. I think alot of Texans would die before they let their state be taken by any foreign goverment and the cost to take texas or most US states would be too costly to try.

Well, several US states had already been lost through surrender and the USA did not exist anymore. Texas was pretty much on its own so taking it would have been trivial. Keeping it is another matter. Offense is always easier than defense. Of course,

+Quote Post
Edward
post Feb 2 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Given Aztechnologys public face after Mexico became Azatlan I expect Hispanics started to like it a hole lot more. Finest public relations department in history and all that.

Mf I understand the timing right they took this land just after the war that formed the CAS. The Texans are just coming out of a war they no longer have the military mite of a super power defending them and a major megacorp as an enemy, iff the megacorp really wanted the land it was going to win.

Edward

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 2 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #14

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (TheNarrator @ Feb 1 2006, 08:41 PM)
The public outcry would make people's complaints over Guantanamo Bay seem like a quiet whisper.

When did it cease being more than a whisper?

I also love you guys tossing around the word Hispanic with regards to Aztlan. That's fucking comedy gold. I'm sure the non-Mexicans really give a damn.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Feb 2 2006, 04:02 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

I think I may have to file Aztlan whuppin' Texas alongside CFS in "bits of SR history that might not be totally plausible but I approve of just because it's so funny watching partisans of the state in question get their panties in a wad about it".

+Quote Post
ChuckRozool
post Feb 2 2006, 04:13 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Edward)
Given Aztechnologys public face after Mexico became Azatlan I expect Hispanics started to like it a hole lot more. Finest public relations department in history and all that.

Mf I understand the timing right they took this land just after the war that formed the CAS. The Texans are just coming out of a war they no longer have the military mite of a super power defending them and a major megacorp as an enemy, iff the megacorp really wanted the land it was going to win.

Edward

That is were you would be wrong, ppl know they are being oppressed no matter how nice a face you put on it. Also, considering that hispanics are in general Catholic, your PR dept would have to be some slick mother fuckers to make ppl like you after you outlaw their religion.

As far as the timing theory goes, that would certainly make more sense. Attack when they just got thru fighting a war.

Either way the whole Shadowrun world was created by a group of young geeks from Chicago who obviously didn't know very much about anything outside their small city ( :P ). Now they are much older and wealthier geeks who are more knowledgable about the world. :wobble:

+Quote Post
Deamon_Knight
post Feb 2 2006, 05:43 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,784

**sigh**

Didn't you guys Read Harlequinns back?

This is where it happened, chummers. This is where they broke the spirit, pardon the pun, of the good ol U.S of A. This is where they danced the Big One, the Great Ghost Dance.

The only explanation for beating the USA is gross, preposterous, atomic sized, supermagic. Magic powerful enough to beat the US armed forces and blunts Americas very will. Magic that is just shy of divine intervention,melts the brains of an untold number of dancers, and nearly ends the world.

And even after that, Texas still secedes and fights Aztlan to a stalemate by itself.

In a game, I can buy that.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 2 2006, 06:06 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i don't tend to think of it (when i think of it) as Texas losing half the state territory to Aztlan. i view it as Texas holding off a modern national army by itself. Texas had no support from the CAS military at all, and yet they kicked Aztlan in the teeth so hard, Aztlan ended up trying to call in the NAN for help. when the NAN refused, Aztlan's assault stalled.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Feb 2 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (mfb)
i don't tend to think of it (when i think of it) as Texas losing half the state territory to Aztlan. i view it as Texas holding off a modern national army by itself. Texas had no support from the CAS military at all, and yet they kicked Aztlan in the teeth so hard, Aztlan ended up trying to call in the NAN for help. when the NAN refused, Aztlan's assault stalled.

Don't mess with Texas. ;)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Feb 2 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #20

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

The trick to accepting what happened with Texas is to take a "glass half full" view of what happened. It really is. Rather than losing half of Texas, Texans managed to keep half of it, fighting to a standstill a foreign national power, without backup.

I mean, it's like (purposefully, I'm sure) the Alamo, or maybe even Thermopylae. Do you remember it as "that place all those losers died," or "where a horribly outnumbered force held out for a good, long, time against an overwhelming foe."

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 2 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #21

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

good point. Texas did withdraw from the CAS for a time becuase the CAS wouldn't help them fight for their lost territory, then rejoined when they couldn't do it on their own. And they're still working at it. Azziewatch, Cavlier Arms, and the general attitude of most CAS-ers to Aztlan (check out YOTC) are good examples of the continuing effort against Aztlan.

And rememeber, Aztechnology does the 'finest public relations in history' Edward, at least, according to Corporate Download.

+Quote Post
Deamon_Knight
post Feb 2 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,784

QUOTE (mfb)
i don't tend to think of it (when i think of it) as Texas losing half the state territory to Aztlan. i view it as Texas holding off a modern national army With Magic by itself. Texas had no support from the CAS military at all, and yet they kicked Aztlan in the teeth so hard, Aztlan ended up trying to call in the NAN for help. when the NAN refused, Aztlan's assault stalled.

Corrected

+Quote Post
ChuckRozool
post Feb 2 2006, 07:32 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

All very good points. I suppose with all this added information it would be plausible.

I guess the thing that really miffed me was the thought of Aztlan holding half of my beloved town of Austin. She doesn't deserve a fate like that even if it's a alernate reality. BUT, i guess if you're gonna stop an invading force in texas the capitol (at the time) would be the place to do it.

I'm sure my home town of Laredo is just a bunch of burned out buildings. I would think the border towns would take the brunt of an assault, especially Laredo considering I-35 starts/ends there. Straight, more or less, line to San Antonio and Austin.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 2 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (ChuckRozool)
That is were you would be wrong, ppl know they are being oppressed no matter how nice a face you put on it. Also, considering that hispanics are in general Catholic, your PR dept would have to be some slick mother fuckers to make ppl like you after you outlaw their religion.

The great thing about the Awakening is the ability to prove or disprove the validity of certain religious claims. The Aztechnology PR department is slick enough to convince people that Christianity is simply not the correct cosmological view.

Huitzilopochtli answers prayers far more often Jesus and Jehova ever did and you can talk to a Feathered Serpent in person. If Constantine could make Catholicism the official religion while outlawing the worship of the real gods without being overthrown then Azlan certainly can rectify that mistake.

The secularization of the world in the past few decades hit a hard blow against Christianity and the Roman Catholic Church in particular. The Awakening made things even worse. Christianity is really little more than a fringe cult again. Those that have any religious inclination at all find themselves drawn to the old ways which seem to actually work now.

There are Catholic 'terrorists' in Aztlan but far too few to actually cause any trouble.
Who would want to worship a 2000 year-old shedim-possessed corpse anyway?

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 2 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #25

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (ChuckRozool)
- currently there are about 8 guns to every 1 person in texas

:eek:

Who needs 8 guns? Serioulsy.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.