Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weapon Mounts, Missing the obvious
Janos
post Feb 21 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,290

So I can't find a list of which weapons have what mounts available for SR4. Am I just blind and it's in plain sight in the book? I found reference to what weapon mounts mean even, but again, no mounts!

:wobble:

Specifically I'm trying to determine if bows still have a weapon mount that can take a sight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Feb 21 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Page 301-302. Int the box.

Only laser sight and smartgun systems for projectile weapon.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 21 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

As a follow-up to that question... if a specific weapon (i.e. FN HAR) says it has a built-in accessory (i.e. GasVent), does that take up the appropriate mount (i.e. barrel mount), or can you add something else there (i.e. Sound Suppresser)?

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Feb 21 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

Yes. A GasVent is a GasVent, pre-mounted or not. If not stated otherwise in the description text.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Feb 21 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Actually, that changed since the last edition. Integral items do not take up slots in SR4.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 21 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #6

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The only thing forbidden now is putting an external GasVent on an internal one.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Feb 21 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

It changed? Really? COOL!!! :D

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 21 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, very interesting indeed. it makes the slivergun less broken then before, or what? alltho, its maybe the wrong way of attacking the imbalance of said gun by upping the abilitys of the other guns...

still, being able to combo a gasvent and a silencer sounds to me a bit fishy given that a gasvent would basicly make said silencer useless (silencers work by trapping gasses and thereby lowering the noise the gun makes, iirc).

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Feb 21 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

That's probably the reason why those weapons use a sound suppressor instead ;).

+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 21 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 211

Silencer, suppressor, same thing thing. You can't trap the muzzle gasses indefinitely in any case, you just have to slow them down so that when they ARE released they're subsonic. Theoretically, a gas vent could work there by venting all the gas from the suppressor upwards, though it would prbably be less effective because subsonic gas would provide less force over a longer period.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 21 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #11

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

The internal GasVent probably works in a different way than the external one.

It's high-tech, that's almost like magic. ;)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 21 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

You could always house rule in range reductions (based on the loss of propellent gasses) for using Supressors and Gas Vents if you are concerned about these being game breakers. Personally I'm not to worried about it, it will work against PC's as often as for them.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Feb 21 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (nick012000)
Actually, that changed since the last edition. Integral items do not take up slots in SR4.

Is there a page reference for this?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 21 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Pg 301 & 302 Gear Ratings Sidebar:

Mounts: Shows where a weapon accesory can be attached to a weapon: Underbarrel, Barrel, or Top-Mount. Only one accessory can be attached to a particular mount. Integral accessories (those that come with the weapon) don't take up mount locations. Hold-outs don't have mounts. Pistols (including machine pistols) have a top mount and a barrel mount. SMG's, all rifles, and heavy weapons have a top mount, barrel mount, and underbarrel mount. Projectile weapons can only be equipped with a laser sight or a smartgun system.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 21 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #15

Awakened Asset

While I donīt know the problems of this combination in reality (I assume harder-but-doable with some tradeoffs), the rules are pretty clear. Much rejoicing!

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 22 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Sound Suppression

QUOTE (Ryu)
While I donīt know the problems of this combination in reality (I assume harder-but-doable with some tradeoffs) [...]

It's just plain undoable in reality. The gas vent/muzzle brake depends on high velocity propellant gases being ejected in certain directions to reduce and negate part of the force of recoil. The sound suppressor traps and slowly releases the gases. The two work at cross purposes and cannot function together. (The kind of setup Dafmeister mentioned above would require a really funky sound suppressor design and the reduction of recoil beyond that provided by a conventional design would be insignificant. So I guess it's "harder-but-doable" if you consider a complete lack of effect a tradeoff.)

On the upside, a (real-life) sound suppressor also significantly reduces the felt recoil of a firearm, possibly by as much as a muzzle brake.

QUOTE (stevebugge)
You could always house rule in range reductions (based on the loss of propellent gasses) for using Supressors and Gas Vents if you are concerned about these being game breakers.

Propellant gases aren't "lost" when using either sound suppressors or gas vents. Muzzle velocity is not affected by gas venting at the muzzle -- the propellant gases still push the projectile right up to the muzzle at full force. Certain sound suppressor designs actually increase the velocity of the projectile, because the expansion chamber acts like a slightly extended barrel.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Feb 22 2006, 07:36 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Ryu)
While I donīt know the problems of this combination in reality (I assume harder-but-doable with some tradeoffs) [...]

It's just plain undoable in reality. The gas vent/muzzle brake depends on high velocity propellant gases being ejected in certain directions to reduce and negate part of the force of recoil. The sound suppressor traps and slowly releases the gases. The two work at cross purposes and cannot function together. (The kind of setup Dafmeister mentioned above would require a really funky sound suppressor design and the reduction of recoil beyond that provided by a conventional design would be insignificant. So I guess it's "harder-but-doable" if you consider a complete lack of effect a tradeoff.)

Unless you're using a future-tech speaker supressor that works by emitting destructively interfering sound waves to cancel out the noise of the weapon firing.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 22 2006, 08:10 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Is there something in SR4 that suggests sound suppressors work like that?

At least back in the 2060s "sound suppressor" still referred to the same type of design as it does today, except being built out of really crappy, non-heat-resistant materials.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 22 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

For some reason this conversation sounds very familiar, right down to the same two posters. :?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 22 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

That's because nick012000 have opposite methods of dealing with problems in SR: I want to argue about them, he wants to excuse them. :P

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 22 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #21

Awakened Asset

Well, the rules are still pretty clear :P

Itīs now officially SOTA to do both.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 22 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 98

As long as either the suppressor or the vent is built into the weapon :P

You know what's really scary? The Ingram Smartgun-X, with it's integral gas vent AND sound suppressor, can also mount a barrel-mounted laser sight. Holy bulbous barrels, Batman!

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 22 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Great, just great: A Swiss Army Gun. :D

Additionally take a re-read of the imaging scope on Pg 311 and then catalogue the available options on pg 323.

New question can you link your Smartgun to your Imaging Scope?

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Feb 22 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #24

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (stevebugge)

Why bother? You can add imaging accessories to the smartgun camera now. So you've already got an imaging scope built in to the smartgun system.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 22 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Feb 22 2006, 03:51 PM)

Why bother? You can add imaging accessories to the smartgun camera now. So you've already got an imaging scope built in to the smartgun system.

I agree there really isn't any point. Mostly it's just after a detailed reading there are some peculiarities, for example it looks like you could either link your smartlink to itself (really pointless) or daisy chain smartlinks (again not sure why you would). Just another example of rules vagueness I guess.

Actually maybe there is a point to a smartgun system in a top mounted imaging scope, you'd have a self contained smartgun (though the neural command features would be disabled) that you could just grab and use without the need for putting on goggles or glasses. Still not that useful if you've got cybereyes.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.