Reply to this topicStart new topic
> About spirits.
emo samurai
post Feb 21 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

I'm thinking that a possible tactic for my mage to take is to summon a spirit for its immunity to normal weapons and cast spells while surrounded by its half-solid form. Would that be possible with an earth or fire spirit? Would he be able to see through the earth spirit while it's materialized, and would he get burnt by the fire spirit?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Feb 21 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

I'd consider it being engulfed, which would cause damage.

It could also be that immunity to a weapon means that it passes right through with out harming it, which wouldn't really protect you much on the inside.

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Feb 21 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,341

I thought that the immunity didn't prevent bullets and other "nice things" to go through the shape of the spirit... Anyone can confirm this?
If this is the case, your tactic isn't really useful.

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Feb 21 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,341

Oops... I get my confirmation, just ignore last post...

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 21 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (emo samurai)
I'm thinking that a possible tactic for my mage to take is to summon a spirit for its immunity to normal weapons and cast spells while surrounded by its half-solid form. Would that be possible with an earth or fire spirit? Would he be able to see through the earth spirit while it's materialized, and would he get burnt by the fire spirit?

Shadowrun Gamer Evolution

Stage 1 (Total Newbie): Does not understand the genre, but has heard other players talking. "So what kinds of anime characters can I play?"

Stage 2 (Newbie): Has read a few parts of the book, and looked at most of the pictures. "I'm a cyberninja possessed by a demon, and I dual wield monofilament shotguns. Are all of the Johnson guys related or clones or something?"

Stage 3 (Pre-Munchkin): Has had an experienced player offer some suggestions that were taken completely the wrong way. "I have all four limbs replaced and my torso, too. When I get enough money saved up, I'll have the cyberskull and then pilot myself around like a drone so I'll be immune to Stun damage."

Stage 4 (True Munchkin): Has read enough of the book to be dangerous. "I'm an elf shaman with Wolf as a mentor, specialized in Combat spells and Fire spirits. I have 1's in Agility, Strength, and Logic and don't own a vehicle."

Stage 5 (Player): Has made up multiple character concepts and chooses one based on the other archetypes around the table. "Oh, you're already playing the gun-fu adept? I have a drone-swarm rigger idea I've been thinking about; I'll use him instead."

Stage 6 (Experienced Player): Knows what will fly with the GM and what won't. Actually enjoys playing the faceman. "Look, guys, I know the J said he wanted this done tonight, but I still think we need to do some legwork first."

Stage 7 (Jaded Player): Realizes that in Shadowrun, it's not about how powerful you are; it's about how quiet you are. Also understands that the GM's real job is to keep the players paranoid. "All of my weapons are silenced, RFID-disabled, wireless-disabled, and I've had a cyberdoc remove my fingerprints and all hair follicles. That should slow down Lone Star an extra five minutes."

Stage 8 (Gamemaster): No one else knows enough about the game to do it justice. Someone has to run this thing, so it may as well be you. "Roll initiative."

Stage 9 (Frustrated Gamemaster): You are surrounded by newbies and munchkins. If you're lucky, there's one player who understands the roll/role reference. "Dammit, just roll initiative already."

Stage 10 (Sadistic Gamemaster): You realize that if you're a cruel bastard, no one will want you to GM anymore and you might get a chance to play. "Roll initiative, my unsuspecting bitches."

*ding* Welcome to level 3, Emo! :)

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 21 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

:eek: :rotfl:

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 21 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Okay... Would a house rule on the location of your binding the spirit affecting the amount of dice you get to throw? For example, if you bind a fire spirit, could you have a bigass iron-smelting fire over your binding circle give you bonuses? Maybe you bind a water spirit on top of a boat for extra dice or an air spirit in open air.

I also heard it mentioned that Ghostwalker could have had a spirit protect him from normal weapons for extra armor. I know it's broken, but still, I heard it could happen.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 21 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (emo samurai)
I also heard it mentioned that Ghostwalker could have had a spirit protect him from normal weapons for extra armor. I know it's broken, but still, I heard it could happen.

The key here is that Ghostwalker is a Great Dragon, not a player character. Great Dragons, Immortal Elves, and other NPC's generally answering to the description of plot device usually can do a few things that everyone else cannot do.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Feb 22 2006, 09:55 AM
Post #9

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Yep Emo, GW did use spirits to protect his ass. Mostly by getting them to accident missiles and the like so they missed, and probably maintaining an armour spell (no special rules needed!!! YOU can do it too!!!)

Wow I picked up SR2 and went straight to 8... then skipped to 10... go me.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 22 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #10

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 21 2006, 04:33 PM)
Okay... Would a house rule on the location of your binding the spirit affecting the amount of dice you get to throw? For example, if you bind a fire spirit, could you have a bigass iron-smelting fire over your binding circle give you bonuses? Maybe you bind a water spirit on top of a boat for extra dice or an air spirit in open air.

oth sound familiar in SR3.

In SR3 there is a metamagic found in Target: Awakened Lands that allows the shaman access to most of the spirit's powers, which can include Immunity to Normal Weapons. However, that metamagic is not [yet] available in SR4.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 22 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

thaks tisoz, I was going to get to that. It's called channeling BTW emo. Basically, you take the spirit inside you ,like reverse posession. If you're engulfed by an elemental, logically, the only one that would stop bullets would be an earth elemental. Everything else isn't damaged because, well, it's kinda hard to shoot and kill air. You need a pretty big friggin gun to kill air (or fire or water or earth really. try shooting the gorund some time, see how dead it gets). which is why the power is IMMUNE to normal weapons, not resistant, although it sorta plays like it at lower forces. For firing from within an earth elemental, I'd just apply appropraite cover modifiers. Remeber that you need something sticking out so that you can see. Although an endoscope wouldn't be a bad idea here.

But if you really want to use a spirit's ability to be immune to normal weapons, use channeling. That's assuming that they give rules for it in Street Magic. Just remember that the drain was horrendous in SR3, so as an equivelant, it would be worst than binding is now. I persoanlly can't imagine something wirst than binding drain, so until then, I've just been using that. i suppose you could just modify the drain x3 instead of x2 after rolling. I don't know how familiar you are w/ SR3, but in that system, the drain was (Force) Deadly once the channeling wore of. So for a little while, you'd be a demi-god, then you'd be toast.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 22 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #12

Dragon

So I could surround myself with an earth spirit and just cast from within 10 points of hardened armor? Sweet! And that's without channeling!

Also, can bound spirits aid in summoning and absorbing drain in general?

+Quote Post
Kleaner
post Feb 22 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 7,887

QUOTE (emo samurai)
So I could surround myself with an earth spirit and just cast from within 10 points of hardened armor? Sweet! And that's without channeling!

Yes, but you have to scream "Burninating the peasants" while your doing this.

a blast from the past for some of you:

SHADOWRUN

Favorite Archetype:
*Real Men* play Street Samurai.
*Real Roleplayers* play Street Shamans.
*Loonies* play Rockers.
*Munchkins* play Cyberninja.

Favorite Metahuman:
*Real Men* play Orks.
*Real Roleplayers* play Dwarfs.
*Loonies* play Sasquatches.
*Munchkins* play Vampires.

Favorite Job:
*Real Men* like extractions.
*Real Roleplayers* like undercover operations.
*Loonies* like working the counter at Stuffer Shack.
*Munchkins* like political insurrections, but only if they get to run the country afterward.

Favorite Opposition:
*Real Men* like go-gangs.
*Real Roleplayers* like policlubs.
*Loonies* like DocWagon.
*Munchkins* like Aztlan.

Worst-Case Scenario:
*Real Men* hate when their employers screw them over.
*Real Roleplayers* hate when the Real Men blow their cover.
*Loonies* hate when the other players won't help them out of their self-inflicted predicament.
*Munchkins* hate when the opposition puts up a fight.

Approach to the Run:
*Real Men* scout out the territory, make a stealthy beeline to the objective, blast their way out and speed away from the scene.
*Real Roleplayers* get in under disguise, jigger the security systems and slip out in a delivery van.
*Loonies* go up to the front desk and announce, "Candygram!"
*Munchkins* blow away the guards, get what they came for, blow away the cops and go home.

How They Dress:
*Real Men* wear Armor Jackets over their street clothes.
*Real Roleplayers* wear corporate suits, tribal garb and neohippie outfits over their Form-Fitting Body Armor.
*Loonies* wear Lined Coats over nothing at all.
*Munchkins* wear Full Heavy Armor and Gyro-mount harnesses for a stroll down Main Street.

Favorite Social Skill:
*Real Men* like Interrogate.
*Real Roleplayers* like Negotiate.
*Loonies* like Etiquette (Zoo Animal).
*Munchkins* don't waste points on Social Skills.

Favorite Contact:
*Real Men* like their Armorer.
*Real Roleplayers* like their Bartender.
*Loonies* like their Rotary Club Habitue.
*Munchkins* like the High Prince of Tir Tairngire.

Favorite Weapons:
*Real Men* like katanas, Ares Predators and Ingram Smartguns.
*Real Roleplayers* like shuriken, Narcoject guns and sniper rifles.
*Loonies* like Tiffani Self-Defenders on Gyro-mounts and Ares Squirts filled with disappearing ink.
*Munchkins* like Dikote monofilament whips, assault cannons with APDS ammo and recoilless Vindicator miniguns.

Favorite Cyberware:
*Real Men* like Smartgun Links.
*Real Roleplayers* like Voice Modulators.
*Loonies* like the Sears Handi-Craftsman cyberarm power tool assortment.
*Munchkins* like it all, preferably beta-grade.

Favorite Vehicle:
*Real Men* like Harley Scorpions.
*Real Roleplayers* like Ford Americars, heavily customized.
*Loonies* like Winnebagos.
*Munchkins* prefer GMC Banshees, but a Citymaster will do in a pinch.

Favorite Spell:
*Real Men* like Mana Bolt.
*Real Roleplayers* like Mask.
*Loonies* like Mana Tickle and Ram vs. Bowling Pins.
*Munchkins* like Turn to Goo, even though it was taken out of the 2nd Edition.

Favorite Totem:
*Real Men* like Wolf.
*Real Roleplayers* like Raccoon.
*Loonies* like Roadrunner.
*Munchkins* like Owl.

Favorite Thing About 2nd Edition:
*Real Men* like the new combat rules.
*Real Roleplayers* like the new Metahuman allergy rules.
*Loonies* like the new Laubenstein color illustration with all the weirdos piled into a truck.
*Munchkins* like the new loopholes.

Biggest Problem with 2nd Edition:
*Real Men* don't like that Karma autosuccesses are gone.
*Real Roleplayers* don't like that the list of 2050s slang is gone.
*Loonies* don't like that the "Food Fight" scenario is gone.
*Munchkins* don't like that the Turn to Goo spell is gone.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 22 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Outstanding.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 22 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Something about sex with dikoted Ares Viper Sliver Gun manifested ally sprirts could be added, but that is absolutely fabulous.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 22 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

Were there Ally Spirits in SR2?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 22 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #17

Dragon

Yes, but you have to scream "Burninating the peasants" while your doing this.

I was going to do that anyway. And what are you saying yes to? Bound spirits helping with drain, summoning, or earth spirits offering their immunity points in hardened armor to the mage without being channeled?

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 22 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #18

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

QUOTE (emo samurai)

I believe the general consensus was that without channeling, you would be engulfed by the spirit which means no LOS and soaking damage on every IP from the spirit's form crushing your pathetic little meat body under the tons of pressure made manifest by the elemental.

Spirits can help with Sorcery, Spell Sustaining and Spell Binding. They cannot be used to help with Drain or Conjuring by the RAW. In SR3 there were Ally spirits which could take the drain for a spell instead of the master IIRC, but this like Spell Binding generally led to unhappy spirits who would take a particular malicious glee in tearing the Mage limb from limb if they became free.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 22 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Brahm)
Were there Ally Spirits in SR2?

I'll check my copy of The Grimoire (2nd edition) and Awakenings 2057 when I have my lunch break, I think they were invented prior to SR3 though.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 22 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #20

Dragon

I thought that engulfing was a deliberate action; I mean, wouldn't an earth spirit be able to make a gap in which I wouldn't be crushed under several tons of tightly packed dirt? Earth spirits don't have to have set form, so they could easily just make a tiny slit from which I could gain line of sight easily.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 22 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Reforming/Rearranging form may cost you a service though.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 22 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #22

Dragon

It'll be summoned.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 22 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 22 2006, 04:57 PM)
Earth spirits don't have to have set form

Some might not, but some do. Remember, each caster's paradigm can differ and that means spirits will likewise differ.

In other words, your earth spirit might look like a giant chunky rockman, but your neighbor's earth spirit might look like a spritely brownie or looming gargoyle.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 22 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #24

Dragon

ROCKMAN MECHA!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 22 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Apparently no one can contest the greatness of rockman mecha.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.