Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Banishing Drain, too much?
Thanee
post Feb 23 2006, 08:10 PM
Post #1

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Banishing has the same Drain as Summoning and Binding respectively (roughly, not exactly the same).

Doesn't that seem a bit much?

Especially the Drain for banishing bound spirits seems rather excessive.

Maybe they should have used only once the number of hits generated, not twice...

Bye
Thanee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 23 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,006

It certainly discourages a mage from blindly banishing a spirit they come across, and is an important use for Assensing.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 23 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #3

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

The mechanic of the drain being the same to summon and banish a spirit was in 3rd, so the way 4th did it sat well with my sensibilities. That said, it was generally easier to spirit blast a spirit than actually banish it.

Of course, banishing spirits that are being forced into a spell binding is easier since their force is diminishing and if done at the appropriate time could royally screw with the mage who is exacting the service.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 23 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #4

jacked in

QUOTE (Brahm)
It certainly discourages a mage from blindly banishing a spirit they come across, and is an important use for Assensing.

But they can blindly stunbolt them, or not?

That's basically the thing, which certainly others have noted already... Stun Bolt is usually the better choice (and is much cheaper, too).

When would it be better to use the expensive Banishing (have to learn an extra skill, high risk) instead of just attacking the spirit normally (i.e. with the ever popular Stun Bolt)?

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 23 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 23 2006, 05:32 PM)
When would it be better to use the expensive Banishing (have to learn an extra skill, high risk) instead of just attacking the spirit normally (i.e. with the ever popular Stun Bolt)?

Very seldom. Only two come to mind for me. If the spirit is under the protection of Counterspelling backed by a Combat Counterspelling Foci you could have a tough time landing a spell.

Or if you for some reason wanted to learn what the spirit knew you could Banish and use the option of bringing the spirit under your control so you could compell it to tell you what it knew.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 24 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #6

jacked in

Someone said, that you can Banish and then Control (Summon) spirits higher than twice your Magic Rating.

Do you think that this is really the case (the Control part only)? I somehow can't believe that it is. :)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 24 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

Member No.: 6,928

either way, I somehow can't believe it's a very smart thing to try.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Feb 24 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (Thanee)
Someone said, that you can Banish and then Control (Summon) spirits higher than twice your Magic Rating.

Do you think that this is really the case (the Control part only)? I somehow can't believe that it is. :)

Bye
Thanee

No. After you banished it you can make a Summoning Test. If you read under Summoning (p.179) you will find the force limit(max. at 2 times the magic attribute) in effect.
"No magician may summon a spirit whose Force is greater than twice her magic attribute". That's pretty clear to me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.