IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 360 rounds a minute, Does my player's character really do it?
Bullet Raven
post Mar 1 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,362

Scenario:

Player in my game has 3 initiative passes and a remington roomsweeper which has an 8-round capacity internal magazine. since he can fire it twice a pass (simple action) this means he can fire 6 shells a turn.

This works out at: 6 shells a turn x 3 seconds per turn x 20 (x3 seconds) in a minute making 320 rounds a minute.

That's really really fast but not what my problem is. I'm confused about the fact that the remington has no recoil modifier... so this guy (if the magazine was suddenly infinite) could fire 360 rounds a minute and not suffer any penalties? There's got to be something up with that.

Any help appreciated!

:)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 1 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

3 seconds per Combat Turn means there's 20 Combat Turns in one minute. If there are 6 shots in 1 Combat Turn, that means 120 shots per minute.

What do you mean by "no recoil modifier"? Semi-auto and has 1 point of RC or what?

+Quote Post
Bullet Raven
post Mar 1 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Yeah 120 that's more like it.... :/ I suck at maths ;)

Oh I get you, I got confused by the fact that it doesn't have it's own recoil score in the stat line...

So he takes his -1 on the second action of each pass or on each cumulutive action of each pass in a turn?

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 1 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

-1 die on each of the second shots. Recoil penaties are not cumulative between IPs.

+Quote Post
Bullet Raven
post Mar 1 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

That's fair. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 1 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 98

Firing 2 shells a second really isn't that ridiculous, especially from a small-caliber shotgun like the Roomsweeper.

Assuming you're running Quickness 4, it'll take you 2 complex actions to reload that thing when it runs dry. This lowers your character's "effective" rate of fire to about 80 rounds per minute. Box-mag shotguns ("clip" in shadowrun terms) are your friend :)

+Quote Post
Bullet Raven
post Mar 1 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shrike30)
Firing 2 shells a second really isn't that ridiculous, especially from a small-caliber shotgun like the Roomsweeper.

Assuming you're running Quickness 4, it'll take you 2 complex actions to reload that thing when it runs dry. This lowers your character's "effective" rate of fire to about 80 rounds per minute. Box-mag shotguns ("clip" in shadowrun terms) are your friend :)

Well, it was more ridiculous when I had calculated it wrong ;)

Yeah, I'd have preferred a clip model personally but whatever he wants.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 1 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Bullet Raven @ Mar 1 2006, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Mar 1 2006, 07:13 PM)

Assuming you're running Quickness 4, it'll take you 2 complex actions to reload that thing when it runs dry.  This lowers your character's "effective" rate of fire to about 80 rounds per minute.  Box-mag shotguns ("clip" in shadowrun terms) are your friend :)

Well, it was more ridiculous when I had calculated it wrong ;)

Yeah, I'd have preferred a clip model personally but whatever he wants.

A shotgun firing at 360 rnds/second.

http://midamericarecreation.com/aa12_autom...tic_shotgun.htm

That is a full auto, but in SR terms more like a short BF rate compared to other RL full auto firearms.

+Quote Post
Bullet Raven
post Mar 1 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

That's awesome, except it looks like crap.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 1 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

this one's prettier, though i believe it's got a lower ROF.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Mar 1 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

As long as it is comfortable while firing, can take a beating, accurate, and is easy to use/maintain, I don't care what it looks like. make it look like a pink elephant for all I care.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 1 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #12

Runner

You want to get into max autofire rates for shotguns in SR, well... dig up a CMDT and smartlink it.

Phase 1: Character autofires entire 10 round magazine (Complex Action). Character yells "Yeeeehaw!" (Free Action).
Phase 2: Character ejects magazine from the shotgun (FA). Character puts new magazine into the shotgun (Simple Action). Character fires a long burst (SA).
Phase 3: Character fires a long burst that is short 2 rounds, emptying the magazine (SA). Character ejects magazine from the shotgun (FA). Character puts new magazine into the shotgun (SA).

End of Combat Turn, repeat next Combat Turn. 20 shells per turn times 20 turns per minute = 400 rounds per minute. And if you trick the character out with a rigid stock/shock pad and two cyberarm gyros, he takes a -4 (2 uncomped shells, x2 for shotgun autofire) on the full auto burst and NO penalties on the long bursts. If gas vents were legal for shotguns, he'd be at no penalties whatsoever.

And according to the RAW, your character is spending 4000 nuyen a minute feeding flechette ammo into that piece (assuming he picks up all his magazines afterwards... they're 200 bucks a minute).

+Quote Post
neko128
post Mar 1 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Shrike30)
You want to get into max autofire rates for shotguns in SR, well... dig up a CMDT and smartlink it.

Phase 1: Character autofires entire 10 round magazine (Complex Action). Character yells "Yeeeehaw!" (Free Action).
Phase 2: Character ejects magazine from the shotgun (FA). Character puts new magazine into the shotgun (Simple Action). Character fires a long burst (SA).
Phase 3: Character fires a long burst that is short 2 rounds, emptying the magazine (SA). Character ejects magazine from the shotgun (FA). Character puts new magazine into the shotgun (SA).

End of Combat Turn, repeat next Combat Turn. 20 shells per turn times 20 turns per minute = 400 rounds per minute. And if you trick the character out with a rigid stock/shock pad and two cyberarm gyros, he takes a -4 (2 uncomped shells, x2 for shotgun autofire) on the full auto burst and NO penalties on the long bursts. If gas vents were legal for shotguns, he'd be at no penalties whatsoever.

And according to the RAW, your character is spending 4000 nuyen a minute feeding flechette ammo into that piece (assuming he picks up all his magazines afterwards... they're 200 bucks a minute).

Well, holy crap. That's just wrong.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 1 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #14

Runner

Yeah, once you consider that his effective rate of fire (that is, his ROF including downtime to reload, etc) is close to the cyclic rate of fire (the ROF you'd get if you had an infinitely large magazine) you get with modern automatic shotguns, this is scary.

+Quote Post
Waltermandias
post Mar 1 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Lenexa, Kansas (Yes Kansas, we ain't all hicks y'all.)
Member No.: 8,291

400 Rounds of flechette ammo?

4000 Nuyen

40 Clips to hold 'em all?

200 Nuyen

Turning an auditorium full of goons into a bloody, knee-deep sludge in the space of sixty seconds?

Priceless.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 1 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #16

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

atleast people cant complain that they no longer get RL cyclic rates on SR guns :silly:

still, 4 dice reduction, thats kinda ouch given that your avarage person is rolling what, 6 dice?

allso, i dont know cyberarm gyros where cumulative...

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 1 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 1 2006, 06:29 PM)
allso, i dont know cyberarm gyros where cumulative...

RAW doesn't really have much to say about whether using one of each arm stacks the recoil compensation, or even how well it works using it on one arm only for two handed weapons. Although they could just use a full body Gyro rig system instead for the 6 points of compensation.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 1 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #18

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
still, 4 dice reduction, thats kinda ouch given that your avarage person is rolling what, 6 dice?

The average person, that is using an automatic shotgun for several minutes continuously, certainly has more than 6 dice. :D

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 1 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #19

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Thanee)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 1 2006, 11:29 PM)

The average person, that is using an automatic shotgun for several minutes continuously, certainly has more than 6 dice. :D

yatzee :silly:

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 2 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #20

Runner

Yeah, it's a safe assumption that your average person doesn't drag around with two cyberarm gyros and a smartlinked autoshotgun.

Besides, if they're average, the smartgun bumps 'em up to 8 :)

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Mar 2 2006, 05:20 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

Isn't that AA-12 the shotty being marketed for use with the FRAG-12 explosive rounds? I remember reading that it had almost no felt recoil. Saw pics of a little boy firing it, and he couldn't have been more than 8.

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Mar 2 2006, 06:08 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

it was the tested platform for the frag 12 round i believe. Me, i just want my AS-7 back when arsenal comes out

+Quote Post
Taki
post Mar 2 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,343

I have got a question : how can we increase the ROF of any pistol by +300%, without any additive recoil nor any imprecision ?

answer :
get increase reflex 3

sorry I leave :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 2 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
atleast people cant complain that they no longer get RL cyclic rates on SR guns :silly:

Using your own reflexes to magically accelerate the bolt and carrier inside a conventional firearm is even easier in SR3 because it has no IP/CT limitation.

Too bad for all the mundane, non-wared guys who want a MAC-11 in .380 ACP.

+Quote Post
Bullet Raven
post Mar 2 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Woah... now THAT is ridiculous :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.