Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why not sell on 'e-bay'?
Cain
post Mar 13 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #76

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Okay, what about this big range from $11,001 to $999,999. Is this somehow not taxable under the inheritance laws, or ...? This also happens to be right in the range of the salvaged jewelry so is the point of the thread.

In theory, it has to be reported. This is where Brahm is wigging out, thinking that the IRS boogeyman is going to hunt him down for thinking bad thoughts. In practice, the IRS seldom if ever checks where the property came from. If you give someone a car, the IRS isn't going to track down the vehicle's entire history to make sure you bought it legally-- that's a job for local police and the DoL.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 13 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #77

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Dranem @ Mar 13 2006, 03:59 AM)
Guys LA is in the Pueblo Corporate Council lands, will you get off of the IRS drek already? Like the PCC is going to give a damn about old US tax laws?!

I thought LA was still an independant city? Because if it is PCC that's a lock, unless the PC holds a PCC share they cannot conduct business in the PCC.

EDIT: If the GM let the PC have a free PCC residency share as part of character creation that would be an issue. I'm not sure if there is a specific canon price, but it is going to be worth a substantial amount of money.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 13 2006, 01:13 PM
Post #78

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 13 2006, 05:05 AM)
Okay, what about this big range from $11,001 to $999,999. Is this somehow not taxable under the inheritance laws, or ...? This also happens to be right in the range of the salvaged jewelry so is the point of the thread.

In theory, it has to be reported. This is where Brahm is wigging out, thinking that the IRS boogeyman is going to hunt him down for thinking bad thoughts. In practice, the IRS seldom if ever checks where the property came from. If you give someone a car, the IRS isn't going to track down the vehicle's entire history to make sure you bought it legally-- that's a job for local police and the DoL.

You.
Drooling.
Moron.

If you have a whole bunch of wealth that doesn't make sense they are going to check to see where it comes from. For small amounts this would easily slip by, it isn't particularly cost effective to track. That is why a lot of people effectively break tax laws and nothing comes of it. The small stuff just isn't cost effective to watch for. Also if it doesn't come through something that can easily be tracked.

But as soon as you put yourself on the radar by selling something through a public marketplace that can easily be watched is when flags get raised. When a flag gets raised they sure as hell do want to know why a "gift" of that size wasn't reported, and where it came from.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 13 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #79

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 13 2006, 03:46 AM)
Cain's basic thrust is that because the person that pulled up the jewelry didn't sell it for cash he didn't have an income. But income can come in the form of cash, property, or even services.

Actually, you're the one who's not grasping anything. Nowhere have I said that property!= income. However, the property that is specifically mentioned are usually purchases, and entail things like homes and cars. In fact, if you'd read your Publication 525 a little further, you'd see this line:

"Generally, you must report in gross income everything you recieve in payment for personal services."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh my god. I'm talking about the person that salvaged it. So your are still insisting that the example I gave is true?

But this isn't really that surprising when you stop to think about the conciquences for what Cain is trying to claim would work. I want to run a mine but not pay any income taxes. So I start up a company to dig the mineral out of the ground. It gives me all the ore it digs out as a gift. I turn around and sell the gift ore. Income tax free money!   

:love: Hey, change it from a company and the miner to a miner and spouse. "Gifts" are entirely fine to give between husband and wife. That way the spouse can gift it back.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 13 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #80

Shooting Target

Apparently you special brand of clueless ticks me off. I thought it maybe was the SR3 - SR4 thing, or your inability to grasp that either something is fair to start with or it is fair for the GM to adjust to it as long as they do so consistantly, or your surprising inability to create characters or run software, so I left that thread. But I guess not.

Hey, why not phone 1-800-829-1040 and ask them what they think of this salvage thing! Sure it will be a waste of their time because you'll just tell the poor sap at the other end of the line he should take the time to read his own damn rules. :S But I'm sure they are used to all sorts of crazies calling in, so it should be just another day at the office for them.

Bye.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 13 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #81

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

y'know, Cain is at least able to grasp the function of the "edit" button.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 13 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #82

Shooting Target

QUOTE (mfb)
y'know, Cain is at least able to grasp the function of the "edit" button.

Hi! Bye!

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 13 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #83

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

But as soon as you put yourself on the radar by selling something through a public marketplace that can easily be watched is when flags get raised. When a flag gets raised they sure as hell do want to know why a "gift" of that size wasn't reported, and where it came from.

Do you *honestly* think the IRS watches every single transaction that occurs on Ebay Motors? Every single classified ad for cars? You really *must* believe that Elvis died for your sins.

So your are still insisting that the example I gave is true?

But this isn't really that surprising when you stop to think about the conciquences for what Cain is trying to claim would work. I want to run a mine but not pay any income taxes. So I start up a company to dig the mineral out of the ground. It gives me all the ore it digs out as a gift. I turn around and sell the gift ore. Income tax free money!   

I ignored it to spare you, but if you insist...

First and foremost, you're presetning a Straw Man fallacy. At no point in the original discussion does a legal business enter into it, destroying your premise. That also means you've got a False Analogy error going. You're also using Argumentum ad consequentiam, appeal to consequences, saying that the potentially disagreeable consequences of the premise must therefore make it false. You're also making multiple Ad Hominem fallacies, further showing the weakness of your position.

If you're going to participate in logical debate, you not only need to stop making so many logical fallacies per sentence, but you have to realize that we have noticed the flaws in your position. If you can provide a well-supported, reasonable, logical argument based on facts, you'd be doing much better. But until then, I can keep using your posts as examples of fallacies in my logic courses. I should thank you for saving me some homework time; I couldn't come up with better examples of flawed logic on my own. 8)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th October 2024 - 04:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.