IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keeping Your Cherry-Blossom Storm Quiet.., Can the Sakura Fubuki be silenced?
Feyd-47
post Mar 3 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,330

OK, a newby friend of my GM's has recently built a character (we've only just got rid of the crane :D ) that carries two Sakura Fubuki pistols, of which both are silenced. Now, my GM has, quite rightly, asked him to buy four suppressors per pistol for it to be silenced.

This is fine from a purely games rule perspective, as no where have i seen that the Sakura Fubuki pistol cannot have barrel mounts of any kind, but i have to ask, does anyone else find this slightly unrealistic?

It does, i suppose, depend on how the gun works. Personally i assume it runs off todays Metal Storm technology and that it works by firing one round from each barrel sequentially, thus giving it such a high rate of fire with as little recoil as it suffers from. My two major questions about this are thus:

1) Does each barrel, being close together, have enough space to accomodate a silencer/suppressor without fouling the muzzle of it's adjacent barrels?

2) if this four barrelled beast fires the way i've described and can fit the necessary silencing device to it, surely, because each barrel only deals with one bullet at a time, only a silencer is necessary, not a much bigger, therefore more prone to adjacent muzzle fouling, suppressor?

It's an interesting quandry that i'm unsure was considered when the weapon was introduced into SR4. Personally, i don't believe that you should be able to fit a silencer/suppressor to the weapon as i'm sure that it would foul adjacent muzzles, not to mention, with the weapon being a breach-loader, it would make the already cumbersome job of reloading a nightmare in a combat situation.

Your thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 3 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

1) Probably not if we're talking independently attached normal suppressors, but there's easily enough room for a giant multi-suppressor.

2) Each barrel does not fire one bullet at a time. The idea behind metalstorm is that one may fire an entire "stack" in a very short timeframe—the gigantic number of barrels you see in certain area denial/antimissile systems are just there because the system is also very parallelizable.

Also, you may have better luck with this question over in the SR4 forum. In SR3, it cannot be silenced because it cannot exist.

~J

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 3 2006, 03:32 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

@Feyd-47 Go to the SR4 forum and use the Search function. Set the date to 180 days and search for Fubuki. There is a recent thread and a few older threads talking about this weapon in detail including entries from the artist that drew the picture in the book.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 3 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

hahah. yeah, sure, go ahead and silence all four barrels on each weapon. and then spend, what, 10 passes reloading, every time? one simple action to eject all four barrels, one simple action to insert a new set of four barrels--and then four complex actions to remove the silencer from each of the four old barrels, and another four to install them on each of the four new barrels.

incidentally, you'd need a suppressor, not a silencer, for the fubuki, unless you plan on not using bursts.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Mar 3 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #5

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

The only downfall is the Fabuki is a muzzle loader [ML designation in the description]. Speed loaders only work for revolvers. It would take a character with a reaction of 8 five combat turns to reload. Also the initial high cost of the weapon makes it expensive to have a second one on hand to use when the first runs out of ammo (especially if it is smartlinked).

KK will stick with her 2 Super Warhawks.

I have two guns, one for each of you...
-Doc Holliday from Tombstone

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 3 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yeah. i was assuming that there'd be some sort of speed-loader for them--not like it'd be hard to make one.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Mar 3 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #7

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (mfb)
yeah. i was assuming that there'd be some sort of speed-loader for them--not like it'd be hard to make one.

While there is nothing in the description of the Fabuki, there is an odd looking piece of gear (accessory?) depicted in the weapon's illustration. I'm wondering if that may not be a reloading tool.

The Fabuki's a great weapon, particularly loaded with Gel Rounds, but a number of my characters have steered clear of using it due to the reload time as well as the inherently high price (8,000 :nuyen: if Smartlinked) preferring the Ceska Scorpion instead.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 3 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It is a reloading tool. Some people call it a "barrel".

~J

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Mar 4 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

Feyd-47 you are verging upon territory, that while humourous, is paved with good intensions. :D

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 4 2006, 08:17 AM
Post #10

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

I would submit that this pistol is possibly one of the worst firearms you could have picked if you wanted silenced/suppressed fire.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Mar 4 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Feyd-47:

Theoretically, I'd say that a weapon using the Metalstorm technology *could* be silenced--just not in the sense that you mean.

As I see it, there are two ways to go here:

(1) A suppressed/silenced system in which the devices are disposable, and are actually *built into* the barrel stack, rather than having to be attached; or

(2) a variant of the weapon using compressed gas--dry nitrogen or carbon dioxide, for example--as a propellant, rather than gunpowder.

My suggestion is to see what Raygun thinks. He's pretty much the resident authority on such matters.

P.S.: Kyoto Kid--Val Kilmer's John H. "Doc" Holliday had most of the good lines in Tombstone--including that one. ;)

--Foreigner

This post has been edited by Foreigner: Mar 4 2006, 02:42 PM

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 4 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 3 2006, 06:36 PM)
It is a reloading tool. Some people call it a "barrel".

~J

Some people including the person that drew that picture. It is a factory loaded barrel, which is the only way to reload the Cherry.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 4 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #13

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

What the hell kind of gun makes you buy whole BARRELS to use? Or did whomever made this thing somehow surpress Metal Storm technology?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 4 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
What the hell kind of gun makes you buy whole BARRELS to use?

A Metal Storm kind of gun.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 4 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #15

Horror

If it were a Metal Storm kind of gun, though, woulden't it be firing twelve rounds before it needs reloading? Three-stack in each barrel?

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 4 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #16

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
If it were a Metal Storm kind of gun, though, woulden't it be firing twelve rounds before it needs reloading? Three-stack in each barrel?

Actually, it can fire 10x4=40 rounds before it needs reloading.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 4 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #17

Horror

QUOTE (mintcar)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 4 2006, 12:38 PM)

Actually, it can fire 10x4=40 rounds before it needs reloading.

:love: :cyber:

In that case....

:notworthy: :biggrin: :smokin:

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 4 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #18

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

What I don't understand is how the accuracy can be the same for each shot, even though the length the first bullet travels along the barrel must be very short compaired to how much barrel time the last bullet gets. :| ??? Isn't this a problem? And what about exaust fumes, or whatever it's called? How can loaded bullets sit safely behind a bullet that is being fired?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 4 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

The amount of propellant, and maybe also the type of propellant changes between each shot, allowing the muzzle velocities stay about the same even though the actual length of barrel used changes. Still, this can only correct slight changes in barrel length, so the stack only fills up part of the rear of the barrel.

The barrels aren't rifled, and when one shot is fired the projectile behind it flattens a bit, effectively blocking the barrel so that the propellant gases cannot go around it.

Because of the deformed projectiles, no rifling, etc., the accuracy is at best consistently crap.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Mar 4 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

The amount of propellant doesn't change. The barrels are not stacked that deep, and the minimal difference in barrel length should not affect the accuracy much.

That being said, MetalStorm was originally conceived as an area fire weapon, and pinpoint accuracy is not the concern. The company had plans to develop sidearms using the same technology, but their latest updates no longer include those development lines. It may be that they dropped those for the reasons discussed here:
Less accurate on first rounds fired
Difficulty in quick reloading
Bulky and awkward to carry replacement magazines (with existing gear)

Also, just my 2 :nuyen: ... If these are not breech loaded, but instead have whole replacement barrels, then couldn't they integrate the silencer/suppressor on the replacement, so that it could be replaced en toto?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 4 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

They could, but suppressors are expensive and fairly precise pieces of equipment. Much moreso, at least, than a MetalStorm barrel assembly.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Mar 4 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

I will venture that it is a firearm that should fall into the cannot be stealthy catagory, like a shotgun loaded with bird shot. Hence a gun you take for area denial and mass trauma and not for zero foot print/zero tag covert ops.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 4 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (ronin3338)
The amount of propellant doesn't change. The barrels are not stacked that deep, and the minimal difference in barrel length should not affect the accuracy much.

To quote the old version of the Metal Storm Technology FAQ:
"Q: Varying Muzzle Velocities? With the projectiles stacked in-line in the barrel, each projectile will fire into a different length of barrel. What effect does that have on accuracy and muzzle velocity?

A: Metal Storm technology fires bullets, which are stacked in-line in the barrel, and the necessary volume or load of propellant (gunpowder) is located between the bullets. If the propellant loads are of equal volume, and the bullets are fired in sequence, the barrel length will effectively increase as firing progresses, and the muzzle velocity of later bullets will be greater than the muzzle velocity of those fired earlier in the stack.

However, given that the stack sequence of the bullets is factory loaded, the propellant volume and/or type can be graduated or varied to produce a similar muzzle velocity for each projectile in the stack.

One feature of such tailoring of muzzle velocities can be that a projectile stack can be specifically loaded with calculated propellant volumes such that when fired at a predetermined rate and range, a beneficial concentration of kinetic energy can be delivered to a target."

If the propellant type and amount were not varied, trajectories between shots would vary wildly. In a machine gun type application with just 5 projectiles per barrel the length of barrel available for the first projectile might be 8" shorter -- far from "minimal". That makes a big difference at 300 meters.

It would be even more problematic for very long range applications, where the first projectile from a given barrel might fall tens or hundreds of feet short of the last projectile. You could perhaps get around that with a whiz targeting computer, but why bother when it's much easier to control the propellant when the stacks are loaded into the barrels.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 5 2006, 04:26 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

The manipulation of propellent loads works for weapons where the entire barrel was being replaced but for long arms and lager weapons where you want to have thousands of rounds available (vehicle mounted) it sounds silly to carry that many full length barrels. Better to have ten round mettle storm modules in a belt loading into a weapon like a normal machinegun and fire a 10 round burst each time the belt moves.

Edward

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 5 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Edward)
Better to have ten round mettle storm modules in a belt loading into a weapon like a normal machinegun and fire a 10 round burst each time the belt moves.

What do you mean by "modules"? One possibility I've seen mentioned is having pieces of barrel that hold the projectile stack that are attached to the main barrel, fired, and then discarded and a new piece is attached. Even with this type of operation, if they can make it work, the barrels would still be preloaded in a facility with all the tools for varying the propellant loads.

With vehicle mounted support weapons in the HMG+ scale, varying the propellant loads would be absolutely necessary unless you only plan to use them against area targets within a few hundred meters.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.