> Shadowrun Fiction Request, official site request
tisoz
post Mar 5 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #1

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (SL James @ Mar 4 2006, 03:16 PM)
Theirs is fourth edition, contingent on a significant number of false setting assumptions, shows a marked preference for established authors, requires you to go through a two-step submission process, and has this particular "Do:"

Use our set of core characters. This helps build their personalities and gives them depth. Writers whose story ideas are under consideration can be sent some basic information to work with, if need be.

This came up here but seems to concern SR4.

1) I was curious to hear what the false setting assumptions were.

2) How is it showing a preference for established authors? (Unless it follows the format of all SR submissions.) Just read where they start out saying they prefer established authors. Oh, well, fuck 'em. I'd rather have a new writer that tells a good story than a lot of the crap coming from the establishment.

3) The 2 step submission process does seem silly to me for a 1000-5000 word story. (If you write, this is like a few hours work, and if you are working for the chance to win a book, you work cheap already.)

4) What core characters? (This is the only reason I see for the two step process - sending in an idea and being assigned characters. But if you are creating their personality, why not just go change the names in the story to fit?)

[ Spoiler ]

Official Shadowrun Fiction Contest Notice

This post has been edited by tisoz: Mar 6 2006, 05:54 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Mar 5 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 864

Hey all,

Figured I'd jump in here to clear up a couple of things. I've taken over the post of SR website fiction editor (Elissa's decided to step down for a bit), so hopefully I can answer any questions that you have.

1. This is not a "contest," per se. There isn't one winner. Potentially, if we get a whole slew of kick-ass stories, there's a good chance we'll use most/all of them at some point. We're looking for fiction to post on the official Shadowrun website on an ongoing basis.

2. There's been a lot of confusion regarding the core character thing, and I'm in the process of putting together a document that will address that. Basically, there is a core group of characters who will be featured throughout SR products--as shadowtalkers, in the opening fiction vignettes, etc. As soon as I can get it finished and approved by Rob, I'll be posting a list of these (along with a one- or two-line description of each) on the fiction website. However, you do not have to make these characters protagonists (or antagonists!) in your story. All we ask is that you include one or two somewhere in the story--perhaps as a contact your character talks to, someone they do biz with, someone they work with, etc.

3. The two-step submission process helps us to weed out ideas that won't work for what we're looking for. We'd rather tell an author we can't use his/her story after reading a synopsis than have had that author go through the trouble of writing something we can't use. It also protects both you and us legally.

4. The part about preferring established authors doesn't mean that a new author's idea and story won't get the same consideration as a seasoned freelancer or established author. It's just reality that it's easier to work with someone we're already familiar with, but that doesn't in any way mean that we're not receptive to "new blood." That guideline was copied from the freelancers' guidelines--it's a lot more important to know who you're working with when you're counting on them for a piece of a multi-author book than it is when they're writing a short story. Bottom line--if you're good, we'll notice, whether you've submitted to us before or not. It's not an either-or thing. If an established author and a newbie both submit great ideas/stories, we'll very likely use them both.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, post 'em and I'll try to answer.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Mar 5 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #3

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Omitted, because no good can come from what I post.

This post has been edited by SL James: Mar 5 2006, 10:14 AM

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 5 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (tisoz)
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

BTW, interesting page, winterhawk.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 5 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #5

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (SL James @ Mar 5 2006, 04:00 AM)
Omitted, because no good can come from what I post.

PM me.

And I have been informed the FanPro Contest is NOT a contest. I am sorry, I thought it was referred to as such in the place I read about it. Now I have started/perpetuated that fallacy. It just seemed very similar, but contrasted, to what I was doing.

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Mar 6 2006, 02:25 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

Hawk the only problem i see with doing that is that your using other peoples characters, and honestly i think thats about the most difficult thing for any writer to do decently because they are not your characters. You know my writing from over on the writers forum and honestly how hard do you think it would be for you to do wolfgar or TC justice, I honestly wouldnt know what to do with ocelot or hawk, nor with M's Duck or Tracker. it would be to much for me to write an adventure using them and do them justice.

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Mar 6 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
Hawk the only problem i see with doing that is that your using other peoples characters, and honestly i think thats about the most difficult thing for any writer to do decently because they are not your characters. You know my writing from over on the writers forum and honestly how hard do you think it would be for you to do wolfgar or TC justice, I honestly wouldnt know what to do with ocelot or hawk, nor with M's Duck or Tracker. it would be to much for me to write an adventure using them and do them justice.

I see your point, but it's not quite the same thing. The core characters are kind of "communal"--for the most part, their histories aren't set down beyond a few basic points, so each author can add something to their ongoing history. Some (such as Fastjack and Frosty) are more fleshed out than others, but there are quite a few who are new. Also, as I mentioned before, there's nothing that says that you have to use them in a prominent role. Your character could have one of them as a contact, and call him/her up to get a piece of information. That's fine. If you don't feel comfortable going into detail, it's not necessary.

If you're worried about getting them wrong, that's why we have an editor. If you submit your idea and you're asked to write it up, I'll help you out with any questions you might have about the characters.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Mar 6 2006, 06:37 AM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Frosty?

Sweet.

As for help, I would assume E would also do her part since she has a title and all

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Mar 6 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (SL James)
As for help, I would assume E would also do her part since she has a title and all

As I mentioned, she's stepped down from the position, so I'll be handling the editorial duties for the time being.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Mar 24 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #10

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Ah. I missed that. Oh, well. It's not like I had good will capital to spend anyway.

But now that I'm looking over the revised guidelines and the list of posters, I am slightly intrigued and slightly apprehensive, specifically with regard to the posters. For example, I never thought Kane was a pirate. IIRC, his original appearance in the SR2Comp was as the archmunchkin psycopathic street sam, and he seemed to have little regard for the pirates and their egos in Cyberpirates!. The other one is Puck, which I don't entirely understand since I would expect that he is not particularly welcome on Shadowland. Then again, I never understood the person he became in System Failure. I always thought that he was basically like the Puck in Sandman, the one who another faerie refers to as, "that giggling-dangerous-totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb" in #19. He was a sick, sadistic evil villian who got off of torturing people - at least until SF.

Anyway, interesting list.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 24 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Kane? Where've you been, man? Aside from the racing team and the blimp, Kane is supposed to be running because his mate's stuck in an unnamed military prison on the wrong side of the Texas/Aztlan border.

Besides, he has to be a pirate. The whole rivalry thing with the Gingerbread Man was hilarious.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Mar 24 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #12

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Yes, but it was a shadowrunner vs. pirate rivalry.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 24 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I think Kane just resented anyone comparing themselves favorably with him.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Mar 25 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (SL James)
The other one is Puck, which I don't entirely understand since I would expect that he is not particularly welcome on Shadowland. Then again, I never understood the person he became in System Failure. I always thought that he was basically like the Puck in Sandman, the one who another faerie refers to as, "that giggling-dangerous-totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb" in #19. He was a sick, sadistic evil villian who got off of torturing people - at least until SF.

Anyway, interesting list.

heh heh, from DE's notes on Puck:

Puck did change in System Failure. Actually, he changed in the period of time between Brainscan and System Failure, as a direct result of the Network.

He's a naturally selfish and sadistic character, initially unable to feel empathy with other human beings as a self-defense mechanism brought on by his own hard early life. Which makes him an ideal candidate for the Whites. But when Deus creates the Network, one of the side effects is that nodes within the Network have a tendency to share sensations and experiences in an extremely personal way, as if they were experiencing the events and feelings themselves.

Some Whites, as a result of this gestalt, become more cynical or more haughty. Puck experiences empathy, though it's an ultimately selfish empathy. The pain of the nodes becomes his pain. He falsely believes he is acting out of empathy and selflessness in turning against the source of the nodes' pain (Deus), but in reality it is nothing more than a selfish desire to strike against the latest source of his own pain. Pax exploits Puck's self-centered tunnel vision, convincing him that he is somehow helping the wronged when he endangers (and even harms) countless people in destroying Deus via the events in System Failure.

He is still ultimately a very disturbed and selfish individual. The events of System Failure, though, make it hard to distinguish whether he is clearly a villian or an anti-hero. He was, after all, key in destroying Deus.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Mar 25 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #15

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Why didn't you just write that in SF? Ever since I read SF I've been thinking to myself, "did they put a gun to DE's head to get this Puck?"

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Mar 25 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Those are my writing notes, most of which never end up in print. Some of my notes on Puck were actually developed/written down after I completed my writing for SF, which is another reason why they aren't in there. My notes are a constant work in progress, whereas I've still got to meet deadlines when it comes to what is in the book. Sometimes those deadlines get really tight and I don't have the time to think over and revise what I write as much as I'd like to.

For instance, the paragraph about Puck on page 50 of System Failure makes me cringe now, because in hindsight I don't like it at all. It's too hand-wavey and out-of-character. At the time I was writing it, I was mainly just trying to get that section done, because I had major revision work to do on the Matrix 2.0 chapter. When I started writing "Hello World" I didn't know about SR4 or technomancers, so that whole section had to be taken back to the drawing board.

I would love to rewrite that small bit on page 50, but I can't. Instead I keep the notes for my future reference, in case I get to work with the Puck character again. Of course, he's not my character alone, meaning those notes don't necessarily mean anything if another freelancer (or even someone submitting web fiction) takes another route with him.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Apr 1 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #17

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Oh, god. I tried to write something within the frame of the webfiction rules, and I think it's technically impossible. Especially the part about integrating the core characters. I mean, jesus f-ing christ, they are almost all the very definition of "not street." Having Fastjack appear in a submission, outside of a vague mention, is as stupid as tossing in Lofwyr (which is verboten according to the guidelines). I mean, seriously: Man-of-Many-Names? Smiling Bandit? You've got to be kidding me. I can't think of any of these characters who would show up in a street-level game, or anywhere outside of either shadowtalk (natch, since they are "core shadowtalk posters") or dedicated stories. My fresh-faced, just out of the Barrens runner(s) are never going to run into, see, or have any direct encounter with any of these people. At best, they might be mentioned in passing, but that doesn't even count as a cameo. It'd be such a nonsequitur that it'd be like last year when Steve Martin just walked onto the set of Weekend Update on SNL for a cameo. Why was he there? It was a cameo. It didn't need to be explained. What, they're going to walk into a bar in Seattle and see Fas... no. Smil... no. Man...no. Pu... no. Uh... hm... (and those aren't even including the ones who have almost no reason to be in Seattle).

Oh, oh! The Matrix, right? Sure, but then it goes back to it may as well be shadowtalk, otherwise it's like "Hey, look, Fastjack just passed us by on the way out of Shadowland." IOW, what's the point? Exactly what character development comes from having seen FJ leaving Shadowland at 1:45:23 GMT on February 2, 2070, or running into one of the few characters who aren't antisocial meatworld recluses at a bar? Character development implies that they do something, but anything they do is almost invariably going to be a Deus Ex Machina role. Let me put it bluntly, you cannot create a core cast of world-class global core characters, demand they be inserted into webfiction, and yet insist that all the submissions be "street level." It doesn't work that way. Street-level criminals don't work with the Neil McCauleys (RL or the one in Heat) of the world, and if they run into them it's happenstance and utterly meaningless that they do (and don't pull that Waingro shit either, because he was a plot element for their story. He didn't matter. His character could have been anyone, and was based on someone totally unrelated to the real McCauley's crew. Since the stories aren't about FJ or any of these character, it's irrelevant).

*pthbbt* on that.

Would I like to do a piece about Puck? Hell, yeah. But it would be about Puck, and that's not going to ever approach the vicinity of "street," not least of all because that constraint does a horrible disservice to the character.

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Apr 1 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (SL James)
Let me put it bluntly, you cannot create a core cast of world-class global core characters, demand they be inserted into webfiction, and yet insist that all the submissions be "street level."

It's not a demand. If you can't work one of the core characters in, or you're just philosophically opposed to it, that's not a dealbreaker. Submit something. Wow us with your great idea and your mad writing skillz. I'm not going to turn down a really good idea because it doesn't have Fastjack or the Smiling Bandit making a cameo. (Though there are several core characters who aren't of that level, including the ones who appear in the various fiction vignettes in SR4.)

Let's put it this way: If I get two stories that are pretty good and neither differentiates itself any other way, I'll be inclined toward the one whose author tried to fit in one of the core characters. If I get a really good story that fits the rest of the guidelines but doesn't contain one of the characters--it's still a good story, and in all likelihood it'll get chosen to post. Try me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.