Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Complementary Skill Use, House Rule?
Thanee
post Mar 5 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #1

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

In the last edition of Shadowrun, we used a complementary skill rule to make use of those Knowledge Skills (not sure, if that was in the book, or a house rule :)).

Basically you roll the complementary skill (i.e. Security Systems Knowledge for an Electronics Test to get past a maglock), and every two successes grant an additional die for the actual test.

In SR4 this could be used pretty much the same way, with every two hits on the complementary skill roll granting one additional die for the actual test.

Of course, the use of complementary skills should be reasonable (no Anatomy Knowledge for Firearms ;)).

This is a great way to actually make use of those Knowledge skills, I think, and allows to further differentiate between various character types.

Bye
Thanee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fool
post Mar 6 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,316

I found that the complentary skills were more of a pain than they were worth.... having two sets of dice and dice pools in the 20's just got to be too much. Besides EVERYONE took psychology at 6 to help with all those wonderful social skills.
I think that the developers were trying to lower the number of dice rolled per turn in order to speed up the game.
In my campaign knowledge skills basically substitute for having to go out and hit up your contacts for info.

+Quote Post
BlueRondo
post Mar 6 2006, 02:02 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,286

On the topic of Knowledge skills, do Active Skills imply any level of knowledge about a subject? I mean, if you have a rating of 6 in Automotive Mechanic, doesn't that imply you know a thing or two about how cars are built? Or is the character still expected to have a Knowledge Skill to go along with the Active Skill?

Anyway, I kind of like that complementary skill rule. I imagine it would usually only boost the actual test dice pool by one or two dice, which seems reasonable (but what would I know? I've never played a Shadowrun game.)

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Mar 6 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

If you rolled Logic+Knowledge, then you'd get a good amount of hits.

+Quote Post
BlueRondo
post Mar 6 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,286

Oh yeah, forgot about Logic.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 6 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #6

jacked in

You would need 6 dice for every additional die in the actual test on average, that's not outrageous, but a nice bonus for those with decent Knowledge.

Of course, as with so many other things, you need to take the skills that fit the character, not the mechanics. :)

And Psychology wouldn't help with every social skill, just when it is directly related. But that's probably the more difficult part, to decide when and how skills apply. ;)

BlueRondo: In SR3 you automatically got a Knowledge/Background Skill some ranks lower than your Active Skill, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Knowledge Skills, that are direct descendants of an Active Skill make little sense in SR4, I think, you could just roll Logic/Intuition+Skill instead.

What I mean here are only somewhat related knowledges, which are related to the task, tho. Like the Security Systems/Electronics example. They should only apply to some of the tests of a skill, not all, but that's something one needs to cover when deciding on Knowledge Skills (since there is no hard list of them, just some examples, and you can have pretty much anything as Knowledge, that makes any sense).

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Mar 6 2006, 07:15 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Wouldn't it be 9 dice? 1/3^2 is 1/9.

+Quote Post
BGMFH
post Mar 6 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,018

You used to get (ActiveSkillRating - 2) as a BackGround Knowledge skill in SOME implementations of SR3. IIRC that was an optional rule found in SRCompanion

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 6 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #9

jacked in

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Wouldn't it be 9 dice? 1/3^2 is 1/9.

Nope, 6.

Each die has a 1/3 chance to be a hit. So on 6 dice you have an average of 6 * 1/3 = 2 hits (which would be 1 additional die).

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 6 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 98

Which would mean that you need to be throwing 18 dice on a knowledge skill check in order to average one extra success on the skill check it's complementing. That seems, uh... kinda weak.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 6 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #11

jacked in

Well, it's basically free. ;) It's just a small bonus, and one extra hit can be quite useful.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 6 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 98

It's as basically free as however much BP/karma you put into getting the attribute and knowledge skill to the point where you were throwing that many dice at it :P I'm just saying, it should be a little more useful than one extra die for every 2 successes.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Mar 6 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #13

Dragon

You could just use multiple knowledge skills to break the hard skill caps, like using magical theory to add dice to spellcasting and summoning.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Mar 6 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

it would probably make better sense to use the teamwork rule thats already present in SR4 to work for complimentary skills. The teamwork roll gives you an extra die per success of the teamworking person's roll. That would basically drill down to an extra average success per 9 dice in skill+attributes for the helper person (or skill).

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 6 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #15

jacked in

Using the Teamwork rules (i.e. twice as many additional dice) sounds like a good idea.

I was just a being cautious with racking together all those extra dice. :)

But it's probably alright, 9 dice for one extra hit on average doesn't seem too much.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.