Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ganger Campaign, Chargen, etc.
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 02:07 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,706

I'm heavily considering running a game on the forum based around gangers. Here is the set of rules I'm considering for chargen:

Ganger Chargen Rules

Power Level
A general note on power level. Gangers are not Shadowrunners. They're not even close. They're also not professionals who know the best weapons to use and the best ways to employ them. Gangers should be relatively low powered. Though the exact nature of the gang will determine a lot, guns shouldn't be anyone's first option in combat. That's how turf wars get started and a lot of gangers get dead.

The GM will likely have a heavy hand in things which he believes are too strong.

Build Points

Attributes
  • Physical/Mental are limited to 200 bp
  • Magic and Resonance are limited to 3 and cost 20 points per level instead of the standard 10.
Skills
PCs may buy only one skill at 4 (and none higher). Skill groups and all other skills are capped at 3.

Race
The available races may be restricted during the creation of the gang. Some gangs won't accept trolls or orks, some won't take elves. Some parts of town are better or worse on various gangers.

Positive Qualities
  • Aptitude: This quality works as per normal and also raises the character generation cap on the skill by one. The cost to raise a skill from 4 to 5 is 8 bp. After character generation, the cost reverts to normal. This quality could also be used to gain two skills at 4 (the cost to go from 3 to 4 is not raised).
  • Home Turf: All gangers recieve Home Turf at no bp cost.
Negative Qualities
  • Addiction: No more than 10 bp should be gained from this quality (two mild or one moderate).
  • Incompotent: May only be taken for skills a character is fairly likely to need on a regular basis. All Vehicle and Technical skills will face scrutiny.
  • SINer (regular): You should have a strong reason for having one and being on the streets.
  • Uncouth: Not allowed. Gangs are social groups, after all.
  • Uneducated: Not generally allowed (read the description in the book). Requires special GM permission.
Gear
  • Each bp spent on resources provides 2,500 :nuyen: rather than the standard 5,000 :nuyen:
  • Ratings are limited to 4 and availability is limited to 6.
  • Each mundane character may have one item of up to rating 6 and avail 12.
  • Cyberware and bioware must not reduce the character's essence below 3.
  • Alpha grade implants are not available.
Lifestyle
All characters should have at least one month of prepaid lifestyle. A group lifestyle may be available at GM discretion.

Contacts
Connection rating is limited to 3. Loyalty may be up to 6. It will not be necessary to purchase other gangers (in the PC's gang) as contacts. Gangers from other gangs would need to be purchased.

Advancement
During play, characters should ignore modifiers to skills and attributes (improved ability, racial attribute modifiers, etc.) when calculating the karma cost of advancing. Thus a troll going from Body 6 to Body 7 pays 9 karma (instead of 21).

Opinions? Suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Mar 6 2006, 02:20 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

I'd suggest only offering half bonus for uneducated. As for lifestyle? I'd open up SSG and figure out the cost for a warehouse or flophouse or what have you and let them start with it, with a special provision that people will be trying to take it away from them. And if they do, they'll have to find a new place.

I suggest making contacts limited to a certain influence, but making loyalty available at 6.

O'course, I'm kind of looking at it from a Warriors 2070 standpoint. Your mileage may vary.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #3

Dragon

On reading Uneducated, I'm of the opinion that it won't generally be allowed. The rest are edited in, as well.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 6 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

A maximum of 150 build points on Attributes is kind of harsh. 160 build points would let a normal human have a rating of 3 in everything. It is in line with the Attributes of NPC types such as Humanis lieutenants or Halloweener gangers, if that is the level you are going for.

One restriction seems to be missing, though - are you going to limit the BP on resources to less than 50? I would assume so, given the lower power level. The single exception for rating/availability on gear is good, since it lets them create a cybered type with at least one decent piece of 'ware. Otherwise, you would probably wind up with nothing but awakened characters.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 04:22 AM
Post #5

Dragon

I didn't cap resources on the theory that they would really limit themselves in the face of the low total points and the avail restrictions. I didn't want to go with avail 8 overall because there is quite a bit at avail 8 that stradles the ganger/something bigger line.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Mar 6 2006, 05:15 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

I know I'm kind of late in the reply, but, yeah. I agree with Tinker. Part of the fun thing about gangers is that you can give them the crappy ware that nobody in their right mind would ever take because that's what they got off the truck or whatever. I remember doing someone with ruth dermal because no shadowrunner in their right mind would use tech that requires them to get naked in a combat zone.

In SR3, it was more important, due to contacts and so forth, but, yeah.

One suggestion, if you're playing with a small number of people, is to allow people to control two PCs.

Hm. I'm trying to think of other things that would make a gang campaign extra-capable. You'll likely want to focus more on the line of Make Your Own Crimes thing.

As a GM, I would suggest letting the PCs decide what they want to do when they're on the offensive, and prepare a couple of semi-stock adventures beforehand. I figure the average 'runs' would involve snatching equipment, snatching drugs, getting medical/cyber, and so forth.

I'd also have your members come together beforehand to figure out what kind of gang they want to be. If you have someone capable, you should possibly even draw up a gang emblem and so forth. With the RFID tags and AR so common nowadays, tagging areas is a cinch. Maybe even set up a simple Geocities/Yahoo page or something to keep track of stuff.

You might want to doodle up a couple of generic floorplans, too. Who wouldn't want to do a raid on a crappy-as-hell strip-mall for munchies, leather jackets, medicine, and trim? Do Food Fight from the opposite side. Man, if I wasn't busy with school (and didn't have the ADD when it comes to forum posting), this would be a fun-as-hell campaign to be in.

You should roll up a sample character. Heck, _I_ might.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 05:58 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Well, I figure this is going to be about 50% collaborative writing and about 50% RPG. Especially at the start. I want to throw to the players the task of writing up the gang, its territory, and its biz. They might be a defensive gang holding down a block in Tacoma. Or they might be dealing nitro. Or jacking cars. Who knows? That will be up to the players.

The game will also be more player driven than normal since there won't be a Johnson and there won't be a run.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Mar 6 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Collaborative fiction is awesome. But, yeah. What sorts of opposition do you think you'll throw at 'em?

Amusingly, I don't really know crap about Seattle, despite having a sheer truckton of SR3 books. I'll have to snatch up that book about Seattle once they release it. Lemme know when you start this up? I'd like to keep an eye on it. It sounds really interesting.

Suggestion: When it comes to money, I'd keep the liquid assets high enough to keep in creature comforts and ammo, but not so high that they'll be bringing down the house with experimental rifles within a week. I'm thinking that rather than buying gear, you ought to try and do gear acquisition. EX: Just roll up a random table of lootable cyber-goodies when they want to go on a ware-run, and let them distribute amongst themselves.

O'course, this leads to problems in the realm of awakened vs mundane advancement. If you can tell your awakened characters to keep initiation safe-and-sane, that might help things, though.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Mar 6 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #9

Guests

This sounds great!

How about combat drugs?

+Quote Post
bladepoet
post Mar 6 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 8,271

In regard to the BP limit, I think someone else mentioned it, but being in a gang should not nescessarily limit yur physical attributes.

Sure you may not have had a formal education, but even to that there will be exceptions, the odd guy who's granny hometaught him etc.

I think a restriction on starting resources would work better, in regard to maximum cash amount and available equipment.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

When are you gonna start recruiting players?

I for one would definitely be interested. I ran a gang campaign some years ago as a GM and would love to see how this one pans out

cheers and regards

Bladepoet

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #11

Dragon

For material rewards, I'm highly considering working on an item rather than a nuyen basis. A little nuyne might be picked up along the way, but the rewards of most efforts will be weapons, gear, drugs, or 'ware.

Opposition will mostly be in the form of other gangers. Depending on the nature of the gang, the Star or other criminals might also be good.

Combat drugs will be prolific, of course. I just have to settle for a cost chart for them (adapted from M&M most likely).

QUOTE (bladepoet)
In regard to the BP limit, I think someone else mentioned it, but being in a gang should not nescessarily limit yur physical attributes.

Well, I didn't really add any restrictions. The RAW says that your physical+mental attributes are capped at 1/2 of your total BP pool.

I do intend for advancement to be steady and somewhat quick. I'll probably hand out 1-2 karma per week of play with liberal bonuses for significant story contributions and completing objectives. I may also allow metas to ignore their racial bonuses when raising attributes since they're the ones getting hit hardest by the limited bp for attributes.

I'll be recruiting in the next few days, most likely. There's not a whole lot of prep work you can do when you intend for the players to have a lot of influence in the specifics of the setting.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 6 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #12

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

In my gangers campaign I give the characters 300 BP, but let them spend 200 BP on mental and physical attributes. This makes gives them a lot of potential but limited skills. They will be stronger and smarter than your average ganger, but roughly as skilled. I find that the levels the skills start out at this way is very close to what is appropriate concidering the descriptions of skill values. I also like that development during play is in the skill area instead of in the attribute area.

I set the availability cap at 8 and accept no skills over 4 at all. They will propably only afford 1s and 2s anyway if they take all the skills they want.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #13

Dragon

QUOTE (mintcar)
In my gangers campaign I give the characters 300 BP, but let them spend 200 BP on mental and physical attributes.

I'll mock up a couple of characters and see about the bp limit. 200 for attributes might be the way to go and I think your way of looking at it is appropriate. I mean, even looking at boxers, if you take someone at 30 and someone at 20, the big difference is skill, not strength or anything else physical.

I don't mind the "one skill at 5" thing since it requires all others to be 3 or less. I expect the majority of characters to take the "two at 4" option, anyway. If they can even aford that.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 6 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #14

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

I concider it very important to stress how 3 is the level of skill of a trained professional. I wouldn't mind if someone took a skill at level 4 or even 5, if they roleplay and explain that level of skill. As it is none of the characters the players ended up creating have any skills above 3.

+Quote Post
bladepoet
post Mar 6 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 8,271

@mintcar

I find it a good idea to make players explain why or how they managed to get over average skills.

I find msot players still approach character creation from a combat/stat benefit point of view, as opposed to a roleplaying one.

I have never understood why people want to play the ueberplayers.

it takes the fun out of getting better during the game

regards

bladepoet

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Well, I expect this game to have firmer connections between character stats and RP than most, so I hope it's not a problem. Browsing the skill ratings chart, there's only mention of gangers under one set of skills (vehicle). The gamut is:

2: go-gang initiate
3: ordinary go-ganger
4: go-gang boss
5: ancients go-ganger

On looking at the stats for gangers in the NPC section, however, I see the point. I think the restriction is going to be "one at 4 or two at 3" with all other skills limited to 2 or less.

EDIT: After playing with a character for a few minutes, I think the resources cap is probably still too high. I'm going to say no more than 15 bp may be spent on resources (75k).

Since character points have to go somewhere, I'm going to allow the free purchase of skills and skill groups at level 3, but a restriction of only one skill at 4. I think.

I'll post some sample characters as I build them.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #17

Dragon

First sample is a ork knee-breaker. He's not exactly tweaked or anything, but might be an okay starting ganger:

CODE
B  A    R    S   C  I  L  W  E  I  IP
7 5(6) 3(5) 5(6) 2  2  2  3  3  7  3

Skills:
 Close Combat Group 2
 Etiquette 1 (street specialization)
 Firearms Group 3
 Intimidation 2
 Perception 3
 Stealth Group 2

Cyberware:  (Essence: 1.2)
 Muscle Replacement I
 Wired Reflexes II
 Thermographic Vision (retinal)
 Flare Compensation (retinal)
 Damper (ear mod)
 Dermal Plating I  

Qualities:
 Home Ground (free)
 Addiction, Mild
 Sensitive Neural Structure

Contacts:
 1 x 3 point contact

Gear:
 Fake SIN, Rating 2
 Predator
 AK-97 Carbine (smartlinked, gas vent, shock pads)
 Stun baton
 Goggles w/smartlink
 Cheap commlink w/Firewall 3
 Armor jacket

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 6 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #18

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

I'd probably restrict Essence to 3+ or something like that.

Gangers shouldn't be cybered up to the max IMHO.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #19

Dragon

QUOTE (Thanee)
I'd probably restrict Essence to 3+ or something like that.

Gangers shouldn't be cybered up to the max IMHO.

Well, the thing is that gangers can't aford that shiny alphaware and those nifty pieces of bioware, which leads to a naturally large hit to essence. Much moreso than for regular starting characters. Because of the inherent inefficiency from the limited resources, I hesitate to further limit them with essence limits.

+Quote Post
Dale
post Mar 6 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

I'd imagine a starting Ganger would make it his or her mission in life (for a few years)
to "aquire" used cyberware for personal use. This would cut down costs while making the ganger slowly tougher and bring in a modest income. It's what I'd do.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Mar 6 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

That makes enough sense. Y'know how often groups of gangers attack shadowrunners and so forth.

Every once in a while, they get lucky, win, and end up with a veritable treasure trove to distribute amongst themselves. Stranger things have happened, and so forth.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 7 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 98

My usual impression of a 'knee breaker' is a guy who hits people for a living. Your ork there looks a little more like a gun-for-hire. Maybe it's the wired reflexes 2...

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 7 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #23

Dragon

Well, physical violence is pretty much physical violence ;)

Anyway, I don't like the wired 2. I think I may go with an essence limit, as well. 2 points worth of cyberware would certainly do it, but I'm afraid that'd just drive PCs to have more bioware and other higher end ware. Which is exactly opposite of what I want.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Mar 7 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Here's my attempt at a ganger. Chokechain. Female ork who likes to beat people up with a length of chain, sometimes while riding a bike. A painfully obvious precursor to getting a monowhip! Anyways, she's obviously not finished because I apparently can't use a character generator worth a crap. I need to sit down and actually use the book to make a damn lick of good out of my brain.

[ Spoiler ]

Everything else goes into money/contacts. As far as ware goes? I'd go for the most obvious stuff like dermal plating and possibly the rigger bits. And NO clue on the firearms. I could possibly see the remington roomsweeper.

Melee weapons? Aside from the chain? I could see spurs or razors. Oh, yeah. There's knowskills in there, too. But they're not too important right now.

I just want to beat people with a chain and drag them behind me on a motorcycle or an El Camino. You can't say that doesn't rock.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 7 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #25

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

That's why I would think about a 3 Essence limit, and probably no alphaware, just standard... and used...

No reasonable way to get more than +1 IP, so people with Wired 1 will already be good. And no outrageous amount of cyber.

Bioware is expensive enough, so not much to worry about there.

Restricting Foci (like no Foci) would also make sense, I guess.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.