IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are dual natured beings suckers for astral attack?
burk
post Mar 6 2006, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,339

It's clear that the down side of being dual natured is that such critters can be attacked on the astral plane but the critters stats in the book don't include any Astral Combat skill so can they defend them selves at all?

The obvious thing to do is to let them use their physical combat skills on the astral plane but the rules don't let them do that.

SR4 p.287 : Dual-natured creatures have the ability to perceive and interact with the astral plane in the same way as characters using astral perception.

SR4 p.184 : Astrally perceiving and dual natured characters use their physical attributes and skills to fight opponents with a physical body, and their Willpower + Astral Combat skill to fight wholely astral entities.

So if I set a spirit on a barghest on the astral plane the barghest must use Astral Combat because the spirit is wholely astral, a skill which it doesn't have and which can't be defaulted.

It seems the only time you can use physical combat skills on the astral plane is if you are astrally perceiving and have a weapons focus.

SR4 p.191 : The character still relies on her physical attributes and skills in combat; the weapon focus merely makes him more effective. This also applies to astrally perceiving characters fighting an opponent on the astral plane.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Looks like it. As a GM, I'd just assume that all dual natured critters have astral combat and that the stat entries for those that don't are in error.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 6 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I'd rule it that dual natured critters don't have any concept of the seperation between the real and astral worlds as they are permanently dual natured and are that way from birth. Thus, I'd just use their physical combat skills on the astral plane and call it even. Sure, the spirit they're attacking doesn't have a physical form, but that wouldn't really bother me. The extra initiative passes the spirit probably has are more than enough to make the critter pulp, more likely than not.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Mar 6 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #4

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

or rule, that since they are dual natured (and not just astrally projecting) that those CAN default on the astral combat skill.

+Quote Post
Voran
post May 20 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Makes you wonder a little if the people you see in real life that seem to be fighting thin air, are actually just dual natured and are fending off evil spirits to keep us safe.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 20 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

And here I though giving dogs orichalcum teeth was just for the bling.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 21 2006, 07:09 AM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

so would a ghoul use unarmed combat to attack an astral form then? Seems logical since they are listed under critters, and are ni many cases dual natured from birth. Would that work differently for a ghoul that became one by infection?

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post May 22 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

As I've mentioned before.
I believe that Astral Combat is a Combat Skill for an Astral Form, and that if you Are Physical then you use a Physical Combat Skill.
It doesn't matter what you are fighting, it's the skill YOU possess at the craft at hand.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.