> Living in the Shadows: Recruitment 2, Updated and Better than Ever
WinterRat1
post Mar 13 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,260

Announcement:

Living in the Shadows is now accepting applications for new players! If you’ve ever wanted to play in a living, breathing Shadowrun world with a character that you’d love to play for a while (possibly a long while: some of our current characters are coming up on their 2 year anniversary in game) then we are looking for you.

We are a highly character focused, background based and story centered campaign. This isn’t a linear plotline or single run so much as it is a story that is still being written and played out with you, the other players and the GM staff as the writers. Where your character goes is up to you and your GM.

So if you were ever curious about playing in the Living in the Shadows (LitS) campaign, this is the thread in which to ask how to go about doing it. It’s not entirely accurate to call this a recruitment thread though: because we’re not really looking for anyone to post character details or even character concept within this thread. After all, in a fully interactive setting, much of that information is supposed to be private between player and GM. Rather, think of this thread as a place where you can test the waters, ask questions about our guidelines, see what LitS is all about and whether it’s right for you.(Read the Guidelines and the LitS threads first!)

This isn’t your typical recruitment thread in another major way: we are not looking for anyone to jump into this thread with completed legal character sheet and 20 Questions ready to e-mail and expect immediately to play. Because LITS is an intensely player-driven campaign-style thread and not just an isolated run, it is absolutely essential that you take the time to fully flesh out the one character you really want and are eager to play for months and maybe years to come. We’ll gladly work with you for as long as it takes to help you develop that ideal starting PC. Having a character that you would absolutely love to play, whose story you want to see unfold, will provide a much more rewarding experience for all of us.

This thread is for the purpose of questions, comments, clarifications, and general issues related to LITS recruitment. Character specific questions and submissions will be handled one on one with WinterRat1 and your Player GM via email and/or PM outside this thread.

As you may notice from the updated Guidelines thread, LITS is now an SR4 game. However, we’ve had to make some departures from strict SR4 canon in order to allow for our existing player base as well as for additional sourcebook expandability. The mechanics are outlined in detail in the Guidelines thread, but here’s a basic rundown:

It was determined among the GM staff that the primary storyline event needed to update the world of SR 3 to the world SR 4 was the Crash that led to the creation of the Wireless World. In our world, the Crash has not happened yet. While this may limit and change certain things from canon Shadowrun history and rules for a time, the GM staff feels that the continuity maintained with the current storyline is essential to the integrity of LITS. Furthermore, we are already moving towards the events that set the Crash in motion, and we believe the opportunity for you to experience, impact, and perhaps even alter the things that shake up the Shadowrun world like few events have before is worth the trade off.

If you are interested in playing with us, please submit a completed character (instructions found in the Guidelines thread) to WinterRat1, the LITS Universe Coordinator, at alexwong945@yahoo.com or PM me.

We cannot stress enough, please read through the Guidelines and double check to make sure you have everything completed before submitting anything for review. The closer you follow the Guidelines, the easier it is on the GM staff to review, and the faster we can process your character. We like to think of it as a win-win situation. :)

Finally, although we will be raising this thread at regular intervals, recruitment to LITS will never be closed, because life in the shadows is ongoing. We are always willing to consider applications for new LITS participants.

Please note that while we do have a perpetually open recruitment, the number of available GM staff limits us at times. Our staff works very hard to keep LITS running smoothly, and we want to provide our best GM skills for everyone involved with LITS. If you have previously submitted a completed character to WinterRat1 per the Guidelines thread, but for whatever reason are currently not on the roster, rest assured he has not forgotten you, and submissions from those players for this recruitment will be evaluated accordingly.

We look forward to seeing all your submissions and working with the latest group of players and characters to experience Living in the Shadows!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Mar 13 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Lots of views, but no questions? We must've done a better job of explaining things this time around. :)

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Mar 13 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

I am *definitely* interested. I signed up for another forum game here, but it got put on indefinite hold. That gave me a lot more time than I had planned on to think about the character I intended to play -- and the more I thought about him, the more I liked him, and the less I wanted to see him confined to a series of disjointed single runs. LitS is just what I think this character needs to fully develop.

Right now, I'm reading through the linked threads (guidelines and LitS). I'll post or edit when I've read through those threads, by then I should have more specific questions. I just wanted to let you know that I was certainly interested.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 13 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #4

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (WinterRat1)
Lots of views, but no questions? We must've done a better job of explaining things this time around. :)

Heh.

Still looking around...

It's a nice concept for sure. :)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Mar 13 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

Okay, here's a question. The Living in the Shadows thread is currently 73 pages long. Are there some specific areas that you would highlight as good places to start reading? That's a lot for any new recruit to plow through at once, so some specific examples would be helpful.

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Mar 13 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #6

Dragon

I'd recommend checking out this link here: LITS Story Index

It's found on all the major LITS pages, and contains the characters' individual stories in order, as a story. It's a great way to focus on a particular character and get a feel for what the game is like. Check out a couple of the links, because all the characters are very different, and their stories reflect that.

Like life, the LITS universe has lots of different things happening at any given time, so focusing on one person's journey through the shadows will probably give you a clearer idea of what your indvidual gameplay experience will be like. After you're more familiar with the LITS-verse, you can try reading through everything in chronological order. Let me know if that helps!

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Mar 15 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Just bumping, so people don't forget we're here. ;)

+Quote Post
bustedkarma
post Apr 5 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,420

If there are still openings, I'm interested.

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Apr 5 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Yes, there are still openings. LITS is a perpetually open game; as long as we have sufficient GM capacity to give our players the quality of game that we strive for, we will continually accept new players. Feel free to examine the Guidelines and ask any questions you may have, and if you're still interested, by all means send a submission my way. :)

+Quote Post
Scrapheap
post Apr 5 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,016

Always room for one more! See above for guidelines.

-S

+Quote Post
Rokur
post Apr 6 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 603

OK so... a few questions....

1) are we supposed to start as a noob runner? with their own life that has turned to running, and is just getting his feet wet and experiencing all the shadows has to offer? or... does it not matter?

2) I'm assuming (since we're not introducing chars. to each other) that we are our own seperate entities? like no roommates, family, or close friends of PCs when our chars start?

3) Do we have a forced starting location, area, etc...? (i.e. Seattle)

4) Are metahuman variants being allowed? from SRcomp of SR3 (Oni, Nightelves, etc...)

+Quote Post
Scrapheap
post Apr 6 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,016

Basically, we are looking for you to submit a character that you are interested in bringing to LIFE. While there are runs and action, LITS is also about examining the small moments that make up a runner's day.

I would suggest you read a few pages (or all, if you have time) of the LITS IC threads to get a better idea of what we are looking for in a character.

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Apr 6 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Rokur,

Thanks for your interest! Scrapheap is correct in that there is no better way to get a feel for what LITS is all about than reading some of the stories. If you would like to focus on some of the individual characters' stories as opposed to reading through the threads (which are roughly in chronological order), this link will be very helpful for you:

LITS Story Index Page

Beyond that general advice, here are some (more) specific answers to your questions:

1) are we supposed to start as a noob runner? with their own life that has turned to running, and is just getting his feet wet and experiencing all the shadows has to offer? or... does it not matter?

You may start with any character that you can create using our Guidelines. Our character population has some complete noobs who are only now starting to get introduced to the shadows, other characters who are in the prime of their running career, and still others who are old hats at this, veterans of a long career of running.

Some of the characters aren't even runners, in a strict sense, and do what they do for their own entirely personal reasons. We have had some characters who play businessmen, street docs, talismongers, etc. We've had entirely legal (i.e. characters with SINs that they actually use!) characters, and we've had your standard 'never even existed' characters. In short, we're all over the place, and you have the option to play whatever type of runner (if you even want to play a runner!) that you are interested in.

It's calling Living in the Shadows for a reason, and that reason is because it's all about each character's life in the world of Shadowrun. Just like in real life, it takes all types.

2) I'm assuming (since we're not introducing chars. to each other) that we are our own seperate entities? like no roommates, family, or close friends of PCs when our chars start?

It is correct to say that each player is their own separate entity. However, with the consent of other players (and cooperation on the part of your GMs), it is possible to start as roommates, family, acquaintances or close friends with other PCs who are also just starting the game or even with current players.

Perhaps the most well known example of this in LITS is D&D V3 (a.k.a. Dragon, Daedalus, and Virgil; the 3 is because there's 3 of them. It started as a joke and became an easy way to reference them). If you read their stories, you will see they are very close friends and share a long personal and professional history with each other.

Each joined the game at a different time, but their backgrounds reflect their shared history. However, and this is important, they still are complete and whole without each other. In other words, they are built (statistically) as individuals, their stories stand alone, and in the end, they will be GMed as individuals.

Right now they are all currently working together, but when the job is over they will go their separate ways and pursue their own goals independently of one another. Of course their paths will most likely cross again in the future, but the point is that they have their own fully functioning lives outside the team and their identities are based on the individual, not the team. That is the key point, that your character is designed and played as an individual, and not solely as a member of a team.

3) Do we have a forced starting location, area, etc...? (i.e. Seattle)

We strongly prefer that our players all start in Seattle, as that is where the game is focused and that's where most of the action is. However it is possible that a particular character's history/background may make it more appropriate for them to start somewhere else (with the understanding that one of their goals as they started play would be to get to Seattle ASAP), in which case we would be open to discussion.

4) Are metahuman variants being allowed? from SRcomp of SR3 (Oni, Nightelves, etc...)

There are no canonical rules for variants in SR 4 at this time. That said, we would be open to discussion and working with you, with the understanding that discussion does not equal eventual acceptance, and we may deny the idea in the end. Still, it never hurts to ask. Some of our finest characters have sprung from unusual ideas, so we won't shoot down creativity without at least hearing you out.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Apr 9 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,780

Heh, well, I was looking for a game, and this would theoretically work out well in that intent. Less likely to crash if it's been going this long. XD

I've read the guidelines (as far as being a player goes) and while I don't have the eyes for it right now, I guess I should look into a few storylines too so I can get more understanding of things. :P

I would also think that, with technomancers at a bit of a disadvantage right now, mage-types are in a bit of a surplus. Shame, I was going for some 'guy in funny coat' feel with a mage or adept. I might still, but doing it with a mundane can be real fun at times.

So I guess that's me saying I'll look into more and see what making someone.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Apr 9 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

I would also think that, with technomancers at a bit of a disadvantage right now, mage-types are in a bit of a surplus. Shame, I was going for some 'guy in funny coat' feel with a mage or adept. I might still, but doing it with a mundane can be real fun at times.

We really don't have any quota for Awakened/Mundane or cybered/uncybered characters. It takes all kinds, and LitS has had quite a few different characters running through it.

Feel free to submit whatever character concept you want to; no two mages, adepts or mundanes are quite alike after all. We want you to make a character you're happy with and feel like playing.

+Quote Post
HeySparky
post May 7 2006, 06:07 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,658

I'm officially going to make a character for application to LITS. Finally. :D Who he she or it will be I have no idea. I'm running down those ideas now.

*cracks knuckles* All righty... where to begin...

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post May 7 2006, 07:13 AM
Post #17

Dragon

I'm officially going to make a character for application to LITS. Finally.  Who he she or it will be I have no idea. I'm running down those ideas now.

*cracks knuckles* All righty... where to begin...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Sparky! :)

And if I may make a suggestion, I would suggest that you should begin at the beginning. ;)

EDIT: That was a terrible joke. I really need to stop posting at like 3am and making myself look like a moron. :|

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post May 7 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,129

QUOTE (WinterRat1)
EDIT: That was a terrible joke. I really need to stop posting at like 3am and making myself look like a moron. :|

Wait..... thats not how you actually are?? :P

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post May 7 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #19

Dragon

QUOTE (WinterRat1)
EDIT: That was a terrible joke. I really need to stop posting at like 3am and making myself look like a moron. 

Wait..... thats not how you actually are?? 

Curses! I've been discovered. Time to invoke Universe Coordinator Privilege and dial up a Lowfyr Nuke... :S

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 7 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #20

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

I was going to post, but my sleep deprived brain can only think about newborn diapers and 2am feedings. Oh the joy of father hood.

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post May 30 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,623

I've read through and definately interested in a character building type of play this offers for my concept of a down and outter gangmember (ex-ganger quite possibly).

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post May 30 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #22

Dragon

We'd love to have you. If you read through everything then you know where to find me and what I'm looking for, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what you've got for us. :)

+Quote Post
Rokur
post Jun 8 2006, 04:16 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 603

Ok.... I've decided to officially apply so I can get back to actually do some IC writing (most of my games are now mostly tactical and combat oriented... and IC writing is fun)

My application concept: (old char that I had and loved and lost her sheet so I gotta re-make her) (side note: Some of you may even recognize her, as she has been on the Forums before in a game with Cosmo herself... ha!)

Player: Rokur
Name: Phoenix
Archetype: Mage
Race/gender: Female Chinese Elf
Profile: She is a believer in the ancient and powerful being of the Phoenix, which she uses as a focus to channel her own abilities. She now currently specializes in social situations and infiltration/conning. She hates fighting but that doesn't mean she can't defend herself.

Brief Background (gonna revamp it a bit since I lost the old one):
[ Spoiler ]

Mechanical questions of conversion from SR3 to SR4:
1) Mentor Spirit: Since there is no Phoenix, should I just use Fire-Bringer stats for Phoenix?
2) Spells.... 3 Spells are no longer available that are more defining spells for her, just need a ruling of allowed or not allowed and we can maybe work out the drain and hits mechanics later?
listed below are the spells and the old definition and how they worked
a) Makeover - creates a complete makeover for a subject including hair, makeup and others. Successes determine how much "style" the makeover can be... the only major factor is the changes are PERMANENT.
b) Fashion - Instantly tailors clothing into any design. Weight and basic amount of fabric is unchangeable. Limited by Armor (in SR3 the spell could only change up to armor rating < Force)
c) Steamy Mist - This was a created spell. Phoenix was able to focus her magic directly into heating the air. Her magic would create excess moisture in the air and it would heat immediately becoming a steam. This impeded vision much like a thermal smoke grenade.... In SR4 there is a similar spell (Shadow) however it creates darkness, was thinking maybe just use that spell and increase the drain value and then it can act as a thermal shadow spell?

Needless to say, I know I'm asking a lot... and Maybe this should have been a PM to someone...

Also, if these spells don't work out... I'm always ready to create another life.

+Quote Post
Morgannah
post Jun 8 2006, 04:38 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,386

QUOTE (Rokur)
(side note: Some of you may even recognize her, as she has been on the Forums before in a game with Cosmo herself... ha!)

:love:

*Raises a can of cherry cola and cheers*

There have been Ivan sightings too!

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Jun 8 2006, 05:51 AM
Post #25

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

This is like old home week. Cosmo, Ivan, and Pheonix, we just need Blitz and Gabriel.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.