IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic Differences, between SR3 and SR4...
JustSix
post Mar 14 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,341

I stopped keeping up with SR3 a little while ago (my campaign ended). Now, though, I'm starting up a new one using SR4 rules at the request of my players.

Anyway, I was wondering if I missed any "in-game" background material that explains why the magic rules have changed so drastically. For example, mages can now have totems (while all shamans don't automatically get one), summoning an elemental is no different than summoning a nature spirit (no ritual required), and shamans can now bind spirits. From a rules perspective, these changes make sense, it streamlines the magic-users. However, it's a pretty big departure from how the Sixth World worked just a few game years ago. So, any official explanation? Did astral space crash too? ;)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Mar 14 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

I believe it was SOTA 2064 that discussed some very exciting 2063 advances in thaumaturgical theory, including mages who could switch between spirits and elementals and were slowly bridging the gap between the two groups. Some kind of unified magical theory.

So if their work was popularized and funded, it may very well have become more commonplace among the magical folk in seven years.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 14 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

UMT was the thing. It was a small section in the SOTA book. The basic premise underlying it has been in the game for some time, that dragons for example are not locked into the Hermetic/Shaman moulds so having to Hermetics and Shamans work differently with conjuring like they did was an artificial metahuman constructs created by limited understanding.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Mar 14 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #4

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Has someone worked out how to make a character that hasn't jumped on the UMT bandwagon yet? I guess a shaman would just have to take Incompetance: Binding, right? What about an old-school hermetic? No totem/mentor and an inability to summon unbound spirits? How would that work?

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 14 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Mar 14 2006, 11:50 AM)
Has someone worked out how to make a character that hasn't jumped on the UMT bandwagon yet?  I guess a shaman would just have to take Incompetance: Binding, right?  What about an old-school hermetic?  No totem/mentor and an inability to summon unbound spirits?  How would that work?

For Hermetics it is more a roleplaying choice, they always Bind after Summoning without getting the spirit to first perform tasks. That means they need roughly 50% to 100% more karma for their conjuring Skills than the shamans do. Which nicely simulates the edge prior Shamans had. ;)

Once Shamans initiated they could get Great Spirits. Maybe take the Incompetence:Binding but allow it to be bought off with karma later once they Initiate?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Mar 14 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #6

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Agree on Shamans. But how to simulate the old-school Hermetic's inability to use an unbound spirit? A mental flaw? How to simulate his belief that an unbound spirit will not obey him even if he has services? It really ought to be worth something, at least as a mental flaw. I agree that it could be done as a RPing choice, but it wasn't just a preference for Hermetics. Generally self-gimping like that is a flaw, and merits some points.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Mar 14 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Old school shamans would be easy, yeah. Incomp: Binding and Mentor Spirit pretty much covers it, although you're going to find yourself capable of summoning Fire spirits now and you'll be unbound by domains. No existing game mechanics to restrict you in those ways, so it'd be flavor declarations to the effect of "I will never summon Fire spirits and will only summon in the appropriate domains."

Old school hermetics can simply not take a mentor spirit and then do their own flavor declarations of "I will never summon elementals of Man and will summon only in my library, Binding every time."

Yeah, it's self-gimping without any BP compensation, but the player and GM are always welcome to come up with their own Qualities as appropriate. Make the appropriate packages worth like 10 BPs and call it "Mystical Retardation" or something. ;)

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 14 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

How about the Hermetic believes that space aliens are watching intently and will punish them if they order around an unbound spirit. The PC is obviously so delusional about the realities of space that the GM allows them to take the Incompetence:Pilot Aerospace flaw. :silly:

call it "Mystical Retardation" or something.

:notworthy:

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Mar 14 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

QUOTE (Azralon)
Old school shamans would be easy ... "I will never summon Fire spirits ... "

Shamans in SR4 cannot summon Fire spirits anyways. If the spirit isn't on your list of associated domains you cannot summon that spirit type. There are only 5 types of spirits outlined in the SR4 BBB (woefully few IMHO). Each tradition can only summon 4 spirit types. Hermetics can't summon Beast and Shamans can't summon Fire.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 14 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

QUOTE (mdynna @ Mar 14 2006, 12:27 PM)
There are only 5 types of spirits outlined in the SR4 BBB (woefully few IMHO).

Enter Street Magic, unless you want to design your own.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Mar 14 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

I did find the fact that differences in traditions were so insignificant a little disappointing, though. The Unified Magical Theory business makes sense and all, but it sort of ruins the mystery of shamanism. I at least would have liked some other meaningful differences in the traditions. Oh well. House rule time!

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Mar 14 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (mdynna)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Mar 14 2006, 12:05 PM)

Shamans in SR4 cannot summon Fire spirits anyways. If the spirit isn't on your list of associated domains you cannot summon that spirit type. There are only 5 types of spirits outlined in the SR4 BBB (woefully few IMHO). Each tradition can only summon 4 spirit types. Hermetics can't summon Beast and Shamans can't summon Fire.

Umm... there are spirit types in the BBB, and each tradition can summon five.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Mar 14 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (mdynna)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Mar 14 2006, 12:05 PM)

What was the SR3- shaman list, again? Sky, Land, Water, Man...? There is mental fuzz.

But yeah, SR4 has six spirit types (not including watchers), and each tradition can do only 5: shamans can't do Fire, hermetics can't do Beast. Mea culpa and stuff.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 14 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Six types including Watchers, and each traditon has access to 5, including Watchers for Shamans and Heretics. Shamans don't do fire and Hermetics don't do beasts. Man, earth, water, and air they both do, although they are associtaed with different spell categories in each tradition.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 14 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #15

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The odd thing about the new unified magical system is that countless spirit types suddenly vanished along with elementals while shaman and hermetics alike learned to conjure wujen spirits of the elements for no apparent reaason.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 14 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Mar 14 2006, 05:26 PM)
The odd thing about the new unified magical system is that countless spirit types suddenly vanished along with elementals while shaman and hermetics alike learned to conjure wujen spirits of the elements for no apparent reaason.

Hermetics still summon fire elementals. The generic term is Spirit of Fire, but for a Hermetic that would be a Fire Elemental. For Shamans Spirits of Man are City and Hearth Spirits, Spirits of Air are Sky and Storm Spirits, Spirits of Water are Ocean, River, and Lake Spirts, and Spirits of Earth are Mountain and maybe some of the Forrest and Desert Spirits. Spirit of Beasts are some sprinkled in the domains, like Forrest.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 14 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

flavor is mutable. it's only the mechanics that you really have to worry about too much.

for example:

spirit of water = water elemental to a mage, ocean/river/swamp/etc spirit to a shaman. there doesn't need to be a mechanical difference, you just call it something different.

as another example, consider the relatively small list of drones in the BBB. supposing you wanted a fast, agile, lightly armored attack drone, you could do something like the following:

suzuki mirage
rigger adaptation
weapon mount
toss in appropriate software (prob default rating 3), maybe two from the following: defense, targetting (almost guaranteed to have this), maneuver(groundcraft).

if it's probable that it's been upgraded, you give it better software, 2 weapon mounts, and all software needed for it.

as an extremely high end example: pilot 6, maneuver(groundcraft) 4, defense 4, targetting(automatics) 4, targetting(heavy) 4, clearsight 4, ECCM 4, and two ares alphas with gas vent 3 and smartgun system. (i would assume ambidexterity effectively for a drone, but you may prefer otherwise). toss a satellite link onto it (unjammable now, i believe? danged tough to anyways). also give it a nice sensor package (vehicle sized, remember)... pretty much just choose one item not to get. throw lots of nice enhancements onto the camera and microphone (you definitely want those both, don't forget), and i'd say other major picks would be motion sensor, radio signal scanner, and maybe either MAD or cyberware scanner. all at a range of 4 km. and your players will never laugh at drones again if you send a few of these after them...

now of course, this carries a rather hefty price tag, but there you have it: you've just created a 'drone' of your very own. this can, of course, be done with more or less any of the vehicles in the BBB. just remember, the fact that a specific name is given to something, doesn't mean it can't be used perfectly to represent something else.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 15 2006, 02:55 AM
Post #18

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

The somewhat more subtle, but no less important, differences are, for example:
  • The average Magic attribute now being 3 instead of (by default) 6, Essence Loss now hits mages roughly twice as hard as before. That, plus the greater role the actual Magic attribute plays in spellcasting, makes the cybermage a much more difficult concept to pull off.
  • The change to Object Resistance makes it nearly impossible to stealth your way past cameras and drones unless your character is specifically min-maxed for that purpose. In SR3 such things were comparitively much easier; your middle-of-the-road mage could pull such spells off without too much trouble.

These changes aren't bad, necessarily, but they are departures in the gameworld that are caused by the changed mechanics.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Mar 15 2006, 03:26 AM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Brahm)
Six types including Watchers, and each traditon has access to 5, including Watchers for Shamans and Heretics. Shamans don't do fire and Hermetics don't do beasts. Man, earth, water, and air they both do, although they are associtaed with different spell categories in each tradition.

6 types not including watchers. Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Man, and Beast.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 15 2006, 03:42 AM
Post #20

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Jaid @ Mar 14 2006, 06:35 PM)
flavor is mutable. it's only the mechanics that you really have to worry about too much.

for example:

spirit of water = water elemental to a mage, ocean/river/swamp/etc spirit to a shaman. there doesn't need to be a mechanical difference, you just call it something different.

I can give you a steaming bowl or dog turns and call it chocolate ice cream but I don't think you'd like it.

Much of the flavor is a product of the mechanics. There should be some difference between the spirit of a swamp and the spirit of a lake. There should be some difference between the firey spirit of a raging volcano and an abstract elemental of fire.
And don't even get me started on bugs.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Mar 15 2006, 03:45 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Not really. Because then we wind up with proliferation of spirits that isn't really neccessary. Volano spirits, fire elementals, efreeti, archangels (with flaming swords), demons... they're all really fire spirits, so why give them all different stats?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 15 2006, 04:03 AM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

Because their different. Why give the career Red Samurai and the newbie Halloweener different stats? They're both metahuman.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Mar 15 2006, 04:07 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

Except the manifestation of a summoner's will isn't quite the same thing as two guys on the street.

That's like asking somebody to draw a scary halloween costume and then asking them to draw a triangle.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 15 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

It is highly probable that spirits are far more than just an abstract manifestation of a sumoners will and are, in fact, closer to being individuals who you would randmly meet on the street.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Mar 15 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

I'm pretty sure that, at least in SR3, the form of the spirit was highly dependant on the views and background of the summoner. I'm pretty sure that the examples mentioned so far were straight up examples from Magic in the Shadows.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 07:09 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.