IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marvel 2099 Connection, If anyone's Interested or Remembers...
rlemansky
post Mar 18 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,591

Greetings.

If you're looking for some good SR inspiration, check out the Marvel 2099 run-if you can find it.

It had everything for a SR camapign. Megacorps ruled the world (SpiderMan 2099) and genetic engineering and Matrix style surfing was everywhere. Underground movements (Ravage and Ghost Rider), mutant races (X-Men), ramapaging monsters (Hulk) all could be used in for a source.

My fave, and most SR-related, was WarHeads (MIGHT not be actually part of the 2099 run, but it came out about then). MysTech, a megagorp run by a cabal of mages that have a 'soul quota' to harvest due to a deal-with-the-devil gone bad, sends crack teams through wormholes to plunder magik and tech throughout time and space. The mechanics may not work, but the group interactions and corp politicking make for great source information. Magik, big guns, and runner teams-how can you miss.

Beware, however, because this was all right before the Big Comic Book Bust. When the market was rife with new series and crossovers, so some of the art and stories sufer. Still, for the price that you can get the stuff, it's well worth it in gameplay. I'd wager you could get the whole batch for less than the cost of a single source book.

The Thor-ites alone make it a great read. Since Magik and the Norse tradition are both 'real' in SR, a group of folks awaiting the return of Marvel's superhero Thor is great fun. The series DOES address the Return, and the whole arc would make a great run.

Plus, c'mon, the timing's just right. 2099 is just a bit into the future for the SR timeline, right?

Any thoughts? Ideas appreciated, especially since I really want to make this into a viable camapign (maybe it's just nostalgia, but it seems like a good idea).

R
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synner
post Mar 18 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (rlemansky @ Mar 18 2006, 11:20 AM)
My fave, and most SR-related, was WarHeads (MIGHT not be actually part of the 2099 run, but it came out about then).  MysTech, a megagorp run by a cabal of mages that have a 'soul quota' to harvest due to a deal-with-the-devil gone bad, sends crack teams through wormholes to plunder magik and tech throughout time and space.  The mechanics may not work, but the group interactions and corp politicking make for great source information.  Magik, big guns, and runner teams-how can you miss.

Actually it was comic published by the Marvel UK imprint (along with Dark Angel and Deathshead II iirc) and it does work pretty well with SR. Replace MysTech with Aztechnology, the cabal with Blood mages and use an astral rift for the wormhole... I know I have.

IIRC I also used the "biodrone hunt club" sequence in Ghost Rider 2099 as the basis of a run, and the Artificial Kidz have been a decker gang in my Seattle for ages.

+Quote Post
rlemansky
post Mar 18 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 4,591

Thanks for the correction-it WAS the Marvel UK. My timing's right, though-I think.

I'm not sure if it's all available bound or if you'd have to hunt down individual issues and runs, but it's good stuff.

A bunch of the Ghost Rider stuff had a very gutter-punk SR feel. Man, I've got a ton of re-reading to do. Thanks for the input.

More?

R

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 18 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Ah, what a memorable comic subset. Relevant too.

Ghost Rider 2099 is probably the most directly relevant, and anyone who reads the first issue and is familiar with cyberpunk will recognize some references.

Doom 2099 was arguably the best of the entire line, and I particularly reccomend issue #19.

Actually, the first issues tended to be the best - especially for Ravage 2099 amd Spider Man 2099 - but gunbunnies may feel free to drool over the arsenal wielded by Punisher 2099.

For magicians, I reccomend 2099 Unlimited, issues #4 and #7, as I recall. These feature short stories by the incredible duo of Warren Ellis and D'Israeli, who had also worked together on the infamous Lazuras Churchyard (another good one to pick up), and featuring the exploits of Metal Scream.

And hey, who hasn't wanted to use the Church of Thor or Alchemax in their games before?

+Quote Post
SL James
post Mar 18 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #5

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (rlemansky)
MysTech, a megagorp run by a cabal of mages that have a 'soul quota' to harvest due to a deal-with-the-devil gone bad

As oposed to all of the deals with the devil that went well?

I liked the storyline where Doom takes over the U.S.; specifically the Matrix goddess making cybercombat head-explodingly lethal during the attack, and one of Doom's senior mercs mocking the Presidential Guards' (or something like that) rudimentary cyberware mods.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Mar 19 2006, 02:38 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I think I still have my Ghost Rider 2099 run. I wasn't all that impressed with Marvel 2099.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Mar 19 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #7

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

For the most part I agree it was crap, so were most Marvel comics at the time. But Doom was at least entertaining enough.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 19 2006, 04:28 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

Check out some Indie books that are on the market right now-inspiration by the ton to be found. Heck looking through back Batman issues gives me a bunch of ideas. Of course I am anoterious idea thief.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Mar 19 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #9

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Not strictly related but I did run as my first SR campaign a set up based somewhat one the inferno storyline from back in the eighties(? or was it early nineties I forget). Cult nasty demon invasion, no goblin queen though. It still weirds me out that the NPC who lead the PCs to stop the invasion by killing themselves was called by me "The Harlequin Man". Then I saw Harlequins back... Also one of the group I put through this was based on batman, right down to the armopur and the cool car.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Mar 20 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

Ghost Rider 2099 is probably the most directly relevant, and anyone who reads the first issue and is familiar with cyberpunk will recognize some references.

Heh: "Drive Defensively."

That being said, I still get a kick out of saying, "Two chances, fat and slim" to people.

Pity the locals stopped carrying GhostRider 2099 after about edition 8. Bastards. Liked the Spidey 2099 crossover though - that had an old-school feel to it.

-Tir

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 21 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #11

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (SL James)
As opposed to all of the deals with the devil that went well?

lol

+Quote Post
Voran
post Mar 31 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Ah Doom 2099. I had a bunch of them, until I moved back to Hawaii and had to get rid of them all. :(

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.