Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cyber psychosis
Willis
post Mar 23 2006, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,387

does this exist in 4th edition? if not, is there any reason not to buy as much ware as possible and get your essense down to 0.1 or so?

Willis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Mar 23 2006, 04:59 AM
Post #2

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

Not officially no. It never really existed, but its something that gets touched on a few times. It also manafests it self in social penalties (though I dont know if this holes true in sr4)

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 23 2006, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Cyber psychosis was never an SR concept. It belongs in the cyberpunk game.

In SR3 you took penalties in social tests where your cyber wear obviously set you apart because of how the other person reacted to you. If you where talking to a cyber fetishist the penalty isn’t there (you may get a bonus)

A cyber zombie had psychological issues but that may relate to the fact that there spirit thinks its body is dead and is confused as to why it can’t leave.

Edward

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Mar 23 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

it actually falls into the Roleplaying side of things in SR, there are no rules, but that doesn't mean you can't play it.

I can see the bumper sticker now "I don't suffer from cyber psycosis, I enjoy every millisecond of it!"

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Mar 23 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Willis @ Mar 23 2006, 12:56 AM)
if not, is there any reason not to buy as much ware as possible and get your essense down to 0.1 or so?

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Yes, I've been looking for the smallest reason to ask that.

Functionally, right now the only downside to having a low Essence as a mundane is that you lose a few dice when healing. That is, the Heal spell works less effectively on you and extended healing tests are harder.

As a side note, if you've got a reallyreally low Body, Willpower, and Essence you apparently would be incapable of healing on your own without medical assistance. Fun, eh?

EDIT: Oh! And per the social modifiers table, if someone is obviously dangerous-looking for some reason (they're much bigger than you, they have a gun pointed at your head, they're an obvious chrome deathmachine, or the like) then they get +2 to their Intimidate rolls.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Mar 23 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Even Cyberpunk abandoned the concept. All over the genre, the move seems to be towards a more "Cyberware makes you magically taste bad and is somewhat bad for your health" rather than the early eighties "prosthetic arms turn you into an inhuman killer robot!" Personally, I'm thrilled. The idea that implanted cell phones turned people into soulless killing machines was always retarded.

-Frank

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Mar 23 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Even Cyberpunk abandoned the concept. All over the genre, the move seems to be towards a more "Cyberware makes you magically taste bad and is somewhat bad for your health" rather than the early eighties "prosthetic arms turn you into an inhuman killer robot!" Personally, I'm thrilled. The idea that implanted cell phones turned people into soulless killing machines was always retarded.

-Frank

But what if they are AI controlled Octopus arms directly connected to your spine? :grinbig:

+Quote Post
neko128
post Mar 24 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Edward)
...your cyber wear...

Whenever I see someone make this particular typo, I get mental images of "cyber wear" fashion shows, kinda like springwear fashion shows.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 24 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 98

I liked cyberpsychosis, myself... it wasn't the physical implantation of a random device directly causing a distinct psychological aberrancy. Rather, the psychological implications of looking at yourself and saying "Jeez... there's really not that much left of me that's human." That's why things like cyberweapons always had a distinctly high Humanity cost in CP, compared to the fairly size-related Essence costs they have in SR... I think a lot of people would agree with me that having a cel phone built into your jawbone is going to have less of an effect on you psychologically then having a foot-long blade tucked in between your radius and your ulna.

CP also had therapy... depending on how much time (and money) you put into it, you could get up to half of the Humanity cost back on your 'ware (although most 'Punks didn't have the time or the inclination to spend a few weeks in Inpatient Therapy in a clinic somewhere). Shadowrun's "grades" of cyberware feel like a simple imitation of that.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Mar 24 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Shrike30)
... I think a lot of people would agree with me that having a cel phone built into your jawbone is going to have less of an effect on you psychologically then having a foot-long blade tucked in between your radius and your ulna.

Until those damn telemarketers get hold of the number. :P

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 24 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 98

Yeah, or you can't figure out how to change the ring tone from "The Girl from Ipanema."

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 24 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #12

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Shrike30)
I think a lot of people would agree with me that having a cel phone built into your jawbone is going to have less of an effect on you psychologically then having a foot-long blade tucked in between your radius and your ulna.

Actually, owners of cell phones are usually much more psychologically influenced by those than owners of knives. ;)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 24 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I know that I would find a spur much less psycologically stressful than a headware cellphone.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Mar 24 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

A spur can't call you at 3 AM, asking if you'd like to change providers.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Mar 26 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

QUOTE (Edward)

In SR3 you took penalties in social tests where your cyber wear obviously set you apart because of how the other person reacted to you. If you where talking to a cyber fetishist the penalty isn’t there (you may get a bonus)

A cyber zombie had psychological issues but that may relate to the fact that there spirit thinks its body is dead and is confused as to why it can’t leave.

Edward

... that was in the Technomancy book, right? But I thought there were actual modifiers listed for having Essence below 1. Am I hallucinating again? Can anybody confirm or deny?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Mar 26 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #16

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

QUOTE (Shrike30)
CP also had therapy... depending on how much time (and money) you put into it, you could get up to half of the Humanity cost back on your 'ware (although most 'Punks didn't have the time or the inclination to spend a few weeks in Inpatient Therapy in a clinic somewhere). Shadowrun's "grades" of cyberware feel like a simple imitation of that.

It wasn't therapy, quite clearly it was only available in scandanavia, so was due to the life affirming effect of six foot blonde nurses :D

For the record I hate cyberpsychosis, some people should go nuts from having cyber fitted nut not everyone, I always felt the body being overloaded with alien material killing you was more realistic. Then aagain I hate the Punk system.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Mar 26 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

there was main book therapy which could get it all back SLOOOOOWLY or get it back fast and remove the cyber

there was chrome 2 therapy which could get up to half back and did not preclude main book therapy

then there were swedish nurses whichmade you not lose any humanity on an average set of rolls

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Mar 26 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #18

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Ah brain dancing isn't it?
I just remember the nurses :P

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 6 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Hmm. Unless I'm missing something in my first read through, SR4 also seems to have gotten rid of alot of the detrimental side effects of bioware, like sensory penalties for orthoskin, and having to take anticoagulants or risk strokes with platelet factories. Yay :)

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 6 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #20

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

improving tech perhaps? I'm still looking forward to what's happening with move-by-wire

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 6 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #21

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

A munchkin's dream, I'm afraid.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 6 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Voran)
SR4 also seems to have gotten rid of alot of the detrimental side effects of bioware, like sensory penalties for orthoskin, and having to take anticoagulants or risk strokes with platelet factories. Yay :)

Ortho still decreases touch sensitivity, IIRC. But yay indeed on the platelet factories. It got to the point where I just had that auto-injector implant as a package deal with the old platelet factory.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 6 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #23

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Azralon)
Ortho still decreases touch sensitivity, IIRC.

Not really, it is just only virtually indistinguisable from normal skin.

+Quote Post
Perssek
post Apr 6 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 6,968

QUOTE (Dissonance)
A spur can't call you at 3 AM, asking if you'd like to change providers.

No, but with a spur AND a implanted cellphone, if a telemarketer calls you at 3 AM, you can go to the call center and gently explain him that if you don´t have your 8-hour-straight sleep, your cyberware makes you want to stop all those fragile bags of blood and spit of coughing around you, with their... meat... smelling, like it´s already dead or just about to die.

He´ll understand when he sees your blood-shot eyes and the 10-inch blades sprouting from your hands.

I guarantee.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 6 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Apr 6 2006, 04:08 PM)
Ortho still decreases touch sensitivity, IIRC.

Not really, it is just only virtually indistinguisable from normal skin.

Musta been my Prior-Edition Bleedover Syndrome acting up. I sit corrected.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.