Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Knockdown?, What does it DO?
Jeremymia
post Mar 24 2006, 06:31 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,477

I'm playing a guy who refuses to kill, so me and my gel rounds are best friends. Tonight, during a practice fight, I did a single 1S against a guy (he got SIX succeses on Impact + Body, amazingly), but he only has 3 body, so that should knock him over, right? (Gel rounds reduce body by 2 for the sake of calculating knock down)

So I look at the rules, and they very clearly explain how to knock someone down. However, they don't explain AT ALL what happens when someone is knocked down, except the melee modifier where the one knocked down is at a "superior position" and thus gets +2.

What else is the effect here? What actions can a knocked down person do, and what can't he do? Does he have certain modifiers acting on him? Where in the book is this?

Thanks so much ^_^
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Mar 24 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

Note: That even Gel rounds can kill someone - with a lucky shot.

Lets see.. they're knocked down.. on their but or back. Meaning the pretty much have to get up first before doing anything else but shoot back and yell insults at you - which will cause them to lose at least an action if not the whole combat round to get back on their feet..

+Quote Post
Jeremymia
post Mar 24 2006, 06:44 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 7,477

I don't understand how someone can dodge while they're laying down. I'm willing to let this go, because a game should never embrace realism over fun, but do you think there's a list somewhere of what someone CAN and CAN'T do when knocked down? After all, I don't see the point in someone standing up if they can shoot just as well.

And: Eek! Gel rounds kill? How does that happen?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Mar 24 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

In general, what the knockdown rules in SR do is make anyone with a background in physics sick thier fingers in thier ears and say, "LALALALALALA".

As for what you can do while knocked down:

You obviously can't run or walk, fighting someone in melee who is not also knocked down gives you a penalty. Depending on the scenery, this may also change his lines of sight (fall behind the couch, or whatever)

+Quote Post
The Horror
post Mar 24 2006, 06:51 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 7,251

Being knocked down:

- may put you completely behind cover and unable to fire, or knock you off the edge of a building...
- means you have to spend an action to get up.
- means you cannot perform a full dodge (houseruling).

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Mar 24 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Jeremymia)
I don't understand how someone can dodge while they're laying down.

Answer: very poorly. It's on the Defense Modifiers table:

QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 151)
Defender Prone -2

Getting knocked on your ass makes it harder to dodge subsequent attacks. It's in the rules and everything.

-Frank

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 24 2006, 08:07 AM
Post #7

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
In general, what the knockdown rules in SR do is make anyone with a background in physics sick thier fingers in thier ears and say, "LALALALALALA".

SR knockdown isnt the 2 meter flying sillyness of hollywood fame. basicly you colapse where you stand. this can fully happen based on stuff like getting knocked of balance from a hit in the leg and similar.

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Mar 24 2006, 08:10 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,213

Isn't there a rule saying you have to roll (body + will) to get up off the ground.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 24 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

if he is wonded yes. i guess its up to the gm to enforce that...

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 24 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #10

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Jeremymia)
And: Eek! Gel rounds kill? How does that happen?

Consider this, you're firing gel rounds out of a gun with a high damage rating, like 5 or 6. Gel rounds ad +2 to the DV of the gun putting it now at 7 or 8. 'Course, the person gets +2 AP as well, so they will have more dice to resist the damage.

Now, if the target has 10 stun boxes and 10 physical boxes and has taken, let's say 8 boxes on each, there's only 2 stun wounds and 2 physical wounds that this target can take before death.

So, if our gel round gun is firing at 7 DV and we have 9 dice to roll for three hits on average and we increase that DV to 10. Assume, for the sake of arguement, that after all the negative modifiers to dodge pool due to to damage, the target doesn't cancel any of those hits. The damage resistance goes well, and the target gets 4 hits. However, that still leaves 6 damage to be applied. Therefore, the stun condition monitor is filled, leaving 4 damage to be applied to the physical condition monitor. 2 more on that one put the target all but in the kill column.

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Mar 24 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

I am so sick of this laws of physics thing RE knockdown.

For the LAST TIME: every action has an equal an opposite reaction, so, the physicists say, if the attack knocks down the target, it should also knock down the attacker.

This is totally wrong.

First of all, people who get punched, kicked, and especially shot in the real world show a marked tendency to fall down. They fall down because the shock of the attack makes them dizzy, surprises them, unexpectedly shifts their center of gravity, causes pain, causes their muscles to spasm or go limp, or even destroys the muscles and bones that are holding them up. It's not just a matter of raw force. It's a matter of physiological and psychological reaction.

Trust me. I fire 12 guages fairly often, and I haven't fallen down doing it. But if a human being took that load of buckshot at thirty feet, he'd end up on his keister, if he had a keister left to end up on.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 24 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Or he might simply stare in disbelief, or run away only to collapse after 30 feet. Or he might charge you. Or do just about anything else. The only reliable form of knockdown is where you instantly disable the target's CNS. A shotgun firing buckshot at close range is very likely to cause critical injuries so the chances of immediately incapacitating the target are quite decent, but I wouldn't bet my life on that.

A rule for determining whether being wounded causes temporary incapacitation is not necessarily a bad thing. The fact that the rule is called "knockdown" in SR, and depends only on the Power/base Damage Code of the attack and the Body of the target heavily implies that raw force is what the designers had in mind. Which is unfortunate.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Mar 24 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #13

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

Austere, do yu actually KNOW anyone, whose first though, upong being shot, is "oh sh*t, he's got a gun. CHARGE!"?

Would not be high on my thought list, thats for sure, i definately think, my first reaction, upon determine i'm aliv,e would be to play dead or get KNOCKDOWN'd

+Quote Post
JustSix
post Mar 24 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,341

Not only does getting knocked down reduce your ability to dodge (as mentioned above), it requires a Simple Action to get back on your feet -- thus "wasting" an action. That means one less shot/burst, and totally precludes a mage casting a spell.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Mar 24 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (JustSix)
Not only does getting knocked down reduce your ability to dodge (as mentioned above), it requires a Simple Action to get back on your feet -- thus "wasting" an action. That means one less shot/burst, and totally precludes a mage casting a spell.

If I were the mage in question, I'd just stay down and cast from there. :)

+Quote Post
JustSix
post Mar 24 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 8,341

QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (JustSix @ Mar 24 2006, 11:43 AM)
Not only does getting knocked down reduce your ability to dodge (as mentioned above), it requires a Simple Action to get back on your feet -- thus "wasting" an action.  That means one less shot/burst, and totally precludes a mage casting a spell.

If I were the mage in question, I'd just stay down and cast from there. :)

True, if you don't mind the -2 modifier to dodge tests...

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Mar 24 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

This doesn't apply for ranged Attacks unless the attacker ist very close (5m).

Austere, do yu actually KNOW anyone, whose first though, upong being shot, is "oh sh*t, he's got a gun. CHARGE!"?

A lot of melee adepts? ;).

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Mar 24 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (JustSix)
True, if you don't mind the -2 modifier to dodge tests...

Certainly acceptable in some situations, yeah, but understandably undesirable in others.

Say, don't ranged attacks also suffer -2 dice when the target is prone, or some such? And melee gets +2?

I might be making that up, since I don't recall where I saw that.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 24 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Aku)

Not personally, no, but then I don't know a lot of people who are likely to get into a gunfight.

There are plenty of examples of people doing all sorts of weird shit after getting shot, and charging the person who shot them is one of the less insane (and more common) actions. If the target is charging you before you shoot him, it's quite likely that's what he'll be doing after you hit him, unless you put him down for good.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Mar 24 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #20

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

well, i can see that, not only because people tend to keep doing what they were doing, no matter what happens, but also because of the adreneline rish, of charging someone (assumeing, ofcourse that there was some emotional... charge... to the charge) would likely fend off the "oh shit i'm shot" aspect of it.

I was thinking of a stationary target (likely in the fist round of combat perhaps, where the person hasnt had a chance to react yet)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 24 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

When the person being shot is completely surprised, temporary psychological incapacitation is, I assume, much more likely. The more adrenaline (and other chemicals) there are running through the target's system, the more likely he is to be able to function after being shot. It's pretty difficult to take this into account in the rules, however, other than through the effect of drugs or by making subsequent injuries have a lesser chance of psychological incapacitation.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 24 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #22

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The fact that the rule is called "knockdown" in SR, and depends only on the Power/base Damage Code of the attack and the Body of the target heavily implies that raw force is what the designers had in mind.

Actually, knockdown depends on the damage you take - after resisting it.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 24 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Ah, OK, so that's changed from SR3.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 24 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #24

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Well, yes and no... even SR3 did base the possibility of knockdown on the actual damage to a degree.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 24 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Knocking back, yes, knocking down, no.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:19 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.