Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Made it Ma! Top of the world!
Birdy
post Mar 31 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,528

One of the benefits of working the late shift is that you get to see all the old movies. This was Cagney in "Maschine gun Kelly" :) The movie is a gold-mine for SR despite not having any Punk into them

The movie has a beautiful car "chase" where three police cars follow Cagneys Mother, changing jobs and coordinating over the radio. Nice example how the good guys (aka NPC) might get at the job. Ma had a hunch in the end but wasn't totally sure.

The prision part (Illinois State prison - Where's Elwood) was also mine-able for a "SR in Prison" game, as was Cagneys idea to get an alibi for murder. A perfect one, state approved 8)

Another Useful Cagney Films: "Angels with dirty faces" with Spencer Tracy. Cagney plays the former urchin turned criminal that is idolised by the next generation, Tracy the priest. Interesting ending. nice character ideas

Any other recommendations of old movies to mine? And I don't mean the "This is almost SR-style" movies like Ronin/Heat/etc that we hash over in similar threads. I am thinking of old style pieces that one normally won't think of like Rat's Nest
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SL James
post Mar 31 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

The "top of the world" scene was in, and inspired the end of Ricochet, which is an underrated Denzel Washington movie back when John Lithgow played villians.

Isn't Angels with Dirty Faces the movie Kevin watches in Home Alone?

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Mar 31 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (SL James @ Mar 31 2006, 08:09 PM)
The "top of the world" scene was in, and inspired the end of Ricochet, which is an underrated Denzel Washington movie back when John Lithgow played villians.

Isn't Angels with Dirty Faces the movie Kevin watches in Home Alone?

And great villians he played. He was the "You must hate me guy".

And Ricochet was the movie that brought Denzel Washington to me "sights". Would not have watched stuff like "The Siege" or "Crimson Tide" without that one. Now if only they had made the "Siege" a bit more open ended...

Can't say about "Angels" and "Home Alone", can't stand the lead actor.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Mar 31 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

Yes it is.

I personally would recommend A Pickup on South Street as a good reference for more everyday interactions among "street" contacts...it's basically a Red Scare movie set in NY slums...a pickpocket happens to accidentally wind up with paydata (microfilm) that takes him in way over his head, and KGB comes after him with a vengeance. I could definitely see adapting that story for an SR adventure.

Likewise, I think The Warriors (yeah yeah, it was as recent as 1979) is a great inspiration for SR gang culture. Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" is the classic "screwed by your Johnson" scenario, though perhaps a bit less adaptable. Still, it's a great film, and you should see it if you haven't already, just on GP.

The Third Man, Double Indemnity, Dark Passage, The Maltese Falcon, and Casablanca are all relevant films to the subject, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 31 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Chuck Norris in "The Hitman." A cop undercover inside the seattle mob. Gets caught up in the mob war between Italians in Seattle and Quebecois in Vancouver.

No cyber but a good mob war setting. He has a gun that MUSt have been the inspiration for the Remington Streetsweeper.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Apr 1 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Movies for inspiration?

Home alone, for when your runners need to defend an area, and have time to prepare. Those theives would have been dead several times over by the end of the movie.

+Quote Post
Ankle Biter
post Apr 1 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,353

QUOTE (nick012000)
Movies for inspiration?

Home alone, for when your runners need to defend an area, and have time to prepare. Those theives would have been dead several times over by the end of the movie.

You kidding? Half the traps required the thieves to fail to notice rather obvious tripwires or act in a very specific manner. Not to mention the times they fell for the same things several times. However I admit that some of the traps had potential.

My inspitartional movie would be "The Eagle Has Landed". It shows most of the major points of a well plotted run. I don't want to spoiler it too much, but it is a fairly well planned "unwilling VIP extraction run".

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 1 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Pretty much anything with Bogart. Especially "The Malteze Falcon" and "The Big Sleep"

Both are cases of a runner- Boggart- trying to figure out what is going on while people try to kill him. Apparently on the set of "Big sleep" the actors were confused by the script and just trusted the writer and director.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 1 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

SLJames:

The "top of the world" phrase was from 1949's "White Heat", in which James Cagney played "Arthur 'Cody' Jarrett", a FICTIONAL psychopathic criminal with a mother complex.

"Machine Gun Kelly" (1948), starring Charles Bronson as "George R. 'Machine-Gun' Kelly", was based upon real life. Kelly, whose real name was George Kelley Barnes, was small-time bank robber and bootlegger who, among other things, orchestrated the kidnapping for ransom of Charles F. Urschel, a wealthy Oklahoma businessman. The kidnapping took place at 11:15 P.M. on Saturday, July 22, 1933, while Urschel and his wife were entertaining friends, Mr. and Mrs. Walter R. Jarrett.

Both men were kidnapped, as the kidnappers did not know which one was Urschel. Mr. Jarrett was released, returning home at 1:00 A.M. the next day, July 23rd. Urschel was held for $200,000; the ransom was paid on July 30th, and Urschel was released the following day.

Kelly's gang was eventually captured in August and September of 1933.

Kelly is probably best remembered for inventing the term "G-Man" (short for "government man", which to him meant a revenue agent--that is, an operative of the BATF). Upon his capture, he raised his hands and shouted "Don't shoot, G-Men!". Popular culture uses the term as a euphemism for FBI agents, but technically, it could be used as a slang term for any Federal law-enforcement officer.

Twenty-one people were convicted in the case, receiving the following sentences: 6 life sentences (including Kelly); the ones who did not receive life sentences received jail time totalling 58 years, 2 months, and 3 days.

Kelly died in the federal penitentiary at Leavenworth, Kansas, on July 17, 1954, of a heart attack; his wife, Kathryn, was released from prison in Cincinnati in 1958.

End history lesson. :)

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
SL James
post Apr 1 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #10

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Foreigner)
SLJames:

The "top of the world" phrase was from 1949's "White Heat", in which James Cagney played "Arthur 'Cody' Jarrett", a FICTIONAL psychopathic criminal with a mother complex.

Ah... Good to know.

Still, a fight to the death on the Watts Towers. Priceless.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Apr 2 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

That's what you get for translating titles. The german title for "White Heat" ist "Maschinenpistolen" - "Maschine Pistols/SMG's"

Another one "French Connection". Mean job on the cop, classical chase using Chicagos Elevated.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 2 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
Chuck Norris in "The Hitman." A cop undercover inside the seattle mob. Gets caught up in the mob war between Italians in Seattle and Quebecois in Vancouver.

No cyber but a good mob war setting. He has a gun that MUSt have been the inspiration for the Remington Streetsweeper.

*bzzt*

The Hatamoto.

The roomsweeper is just a generic sawn off double barreled shotgun.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.