Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jack Dempsey: Grudge monster, Historical silliness
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 2 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,383

Yesterday I was watching some video taped ESPN classic in which Bert Sugar was discussing his picks for the top 10 boxing heavyweights of all time. It was actually a very interesting historical survey. I learned that legendary boxer Jack Dempsey actually used to be a hobo and that he once had a match after having not eaten for 4 days. (He lost, understandably.)

I also remembered a story I read somewhere on bullshido.net about how Dempsey, as an old man, was mugged in a cemetary when he was visiting the grave of a friend, but he KOed the mugger, because the last thing to leave a boxer is his punch.

So, we have the concept of either a starving hobo or an unimposing old man in a cemetary who can KTFO you totally unexpectedly out of the blue. Now think about how hysterically funny it would be if you pulled that on your SR group.

Mage: "I drop invisibility to cast levitate and begin to leave the scene of the crime by roofop."

GM: *rolls dice* "You notice that there's an unimposing, starving hobo who was hiding behind a dumpster who watched you murder the exec."

Mage: "Hmm. Better not have any witnesses, and I guess I'll erase my signature here after this anyway. Let me cast manabolt at him."

GM: "OK, roll init."

Mage: ???

GM: "Let's see, his init is 35. He goes 'Geek the mage!' in this rumbly, throaty homeless bum voice."

Mage: ???

GM: "He punches you for 30 successes. You die."

Players: "WTF? WTF? Foul foul!"

GM: *throws book on Dempsey at the players*

Players: "NOOOO! History0wned!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 2 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

My big brother will totally smack him down.

~J

"…He put the Lusitania on his chest…"

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 2 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

WR:

I recall reading something similar about another old-time boxer; I think, although I am not sure, that it was Joe Louis.

A few years before his death, he was in New York City (I think) on business, and two would-be muggers, each young enough to be his grandson, jumped him as he was leaving a cab.

Apparently, they took him at face value, and were expecting an elderly man who wouldn't give them much trouble.

Two quick punches later (a right and a left, I think), both miscreants were lying on the sidewalk unconscious.

In his own words, Louis had "...flattened 'em both." :)

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Apr 2 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #4

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

So remember boys and girls, dont mug people, because they could be a 70 yo Mike Tyson.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 2 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

What if the hobo's a phys adept?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 2 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

heh. on shadowland, there have been a number of hobo badasses. the most memorable one actually did just what WR describes. at the end of the fight, the mage dropped a max-force D fireball at his own feet to gain some sort of pyrrhic victory, but the hobo laid down an freakish number of dodge successes and took no damage. it was great.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Apr 3 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (emo samurai)
What if the hobo's a phys adept?

Only if he is either Chinese or looks like David Carradine

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post Apr 3 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

Remind me of an old Dr Strange comic, the 'Men-Stars' story ark. The grand old master that taught Strange his art and merged with the universe in a buddhist-like way was shaken by the apocalyptical changes and he was 'thrown out' in the real world, broken. He passed the time as an hobo drunkard to kill his pain, but when he (or Strange?) was threatened, he show that he is as grand ol' badass sorcerer as before.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 3 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #9

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

They had something similar in Hellblazer. John Constantine, who had repeatedly cheated death and beaten the devil at his own game (which begs the question, why do we suppose the devil plays fair? I can imagine the devil making a bet, then if he loses, he takes the prize anyway. Anyway, I digress.) John Constantine, after getting dumped by a woman, or somesuch, loses himself and becomes a drunk hobo. Except, when he gets beaten up, rather than manifesting his unearthly sorcerer powers, he mostly just gets the snot kicked out of him.

Just remember, while nine out of ten hobos are either fakers, ex-boxers or sorcerers with tremendous powers, that doesn't mean that same percentage are capable of beating up paramilitary forces using only a broken wine bottle.

As an aside, I've been noticing around this area (DC/Silver Spring) a sudden growth in hobo clones. So far I've seen three men at different spots (two within literally five minutes of each other, separated by four miles), begging on the highways. They have silly smiles, a half crutch on his right arm, an orange juice box to collect money (the top is cut off), a goofy grin and a pigeon foot. Waaaay too similar to not be fakers, but they're absolutely cleaning up! One wonders if the real hobos in SR aren't beaten up and left in the barrens, and gangs of hobo-fakers control the streets to collect money from the wageslaves. Maybe our Jack Dempsey hobo isn't actually a hobo, but a hobo fake working for the faux-hobo begging ring.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 3 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The hobo clones are almost certainly G-men performing illegal covert survailance and assasinations.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Apr 3 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

QUOTE (nezumi)
Just remember, while nine out of ten hobos are either fakers, ex-boxers or sorcerers with tremendous powers, that doesn't mean that same percentage are capable of beating up paramilitary forces using only a broken wine bottle.

<bunny trail>

Ha ... my brother-in-law was telling me what when he lived in Vancouver, they stuffed newspapers into some clothes, civered him up really well, and had him slumped over with a cup and sign.... they used to make $10 in a few hours, then come back and pull the guy inside and use the money for booze or drugs.
</bunny trail>

As for hobos being where physads and boxers go to retire, they usually wind up on low income gov't pensions, but not one the street.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 3 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

QUOTE (The ubbergeek @ Apr 3 2006, 10:22 AM)
Remind me of an old Dr Strange comic, the 'Men-Stars' story ark. The grand old master that taught Strange his art and merged with the universe in a buddhist-like way was shaken by the apocalyptical changes and he was 'thrown out' in the real world, broken. He passed the time as an hobo drunkard to kill his pain, but when he (or Strange?) was threatened, he show that he is as  grand ol' badass sorcerer as before.

ubbergeek:

I've been collecting comic books on and off for most of my life (I'll be 42 on May 30th, and I bought my first comic book when I was about 9 years old), and I believe that the man to whom you are referring was known as "The Ancient One".

He's been dead for quite some time (his final appearance as a living being was in MARVEL PREMIERE #10 (September, 1973)), but, as you most likely know, in comic books, death is seldom permanent.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 3 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (nezumi)
As an aside, I've been noticing around this area (DC/Silver Spring) a sudden growth in hobo clones. So far I've seen three men at different spots (two within literally five minutes of each other, separated by four miles), begging on the highways. They have silly smiles, a half crutch on his right arm, an orange juice box to collect money (the top is cut off), a goofy grin and a pigeon foot. Waaaay too similar to not be fakers, but they're absolutely cleaning up! One wonders if the real hobos in SR aren't beaten up and left in the barrens, and gangs of hobo-fakers control the streets to collect money from the wageslaves. Maybe our Jack Dempsey hobo isn't actually a hobo, but a hobo fake working for the faux-hobo begging ring.

Some coworkers once told me about some panhandlers there operated at a major intersection of Crystal City. They saw them at the end of their 'shift' being picked up by some lady in a rather nice van, the entire group just got in and they drove off. Yeah, rather nicely organized, must be the local panhandlers union 216 or something...

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Apr 3 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Some coworkers once told me about some panhandlers there operated at a major intersection of Crystal City. They saw them at the end of their 'shift' being picked up by some lady in a rather nice van, the entire group just got in and they drove off. Yeah, rather nicely organized, must be the local panhandlers union 216 or something...

That happens around here... a really haggard looking couple stand in opposite parking lots with signs that they will work for food, then at the end of the day get into a brand new grand caravan with a dvd player and the whole works. I feel like standing out there with a sign telling people that they are fakers and have a brand new luxury vehicle.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 3 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #15

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I spent a semester at UMBC. At the end of my time, I had about $100 on my 'non-cafeteria food' account. Since I wasn't going to eat it, I blew it all on boxed sandwiches and juice and went down to inner harbor, Baltimore (so it's still a nice enough area that I don't feel endangered) with my girlfriend to hand them out to the destitute. This is in the evening, so presumably most people who have a real home have gone there. Nevertheless, half of the people we offered free food to would not accept it and requested cash.

Moral of the story - if you want to be charitable, give food, not money. If the guy is really living on the street, he'll appreciate a sandwich and you're not supporting fakers or the drug trade. I no longer give any money to anything but reliable charities I contact from my own initiative.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 3 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #16

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Just always remember Rule One and you'll be fine. 'Never act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man'. ;)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.