Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Campaign Assistance Requested, Seeking help with a new crop of players
phasmaphobic
post Apr 3 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,070

I've started up a new SR4 "campaign" with a brand new roup of players, and I'd like some help.

Here's the Premise:
The game uses normal SR4 rules, setting, all that jazz. The setup is that the characters are all fairly new to the "crime scene" and have been doing various illegal jobs for a handful of months now. They are all connected through a run-down low-budjet filmhouse in the Redmond Barrens, each character in their own way frequenting or influencing this esatblishment. They all have similar criminal interests, and are al fairly green.

The focus of the campaign is ultimately a metaplot-free series of unconnected adventures, much like the Ghost in the Shell "Standalone Complex" series of anime, or the old Aeon Flux shorts. My goal is to have each session be a self-contained adventure, with an increased focus on Task-Completion and Information Gathering over character development and storytelling. As the game is set to be run only once or twice a month, I want to keep it free from metaplot and long-term conspiracies.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any help in designing one-shot single-session adventures for a group of new SR4 players.

Suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Apr 3 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

The GM Screen comes with a bunch of one-shot ideas, in case you want printed suggestions rather than those from us. Alternatively, I need to pimp my runs on the fly generator in situations like these. It uses the rules from the companion book to the GM Screen to generate runs using random numbers and tables of events. It might help you out a little.

Anyway, my favorite one-shot is something I term an embarassment run. The sponsor wants a specific public official or celebrity publically embarassed. The sponsor knows this person will be in town in the near future but doesn't know his or her schedule. Thus, the players have to (a) get the schedule, (b) determine which event to crash and © determine how best to embarass the person without getting arrested by the event staff.

The hard part about running this little adventure is covering the bases on the target's schedule. If you leave too many options for the players to choose from, you'll almost have to improvise some of the details about each event. Alternatively, if you leave the schedule a little sparse, it may seem like you're restricting things a little too much and not representing a true-to-life celebrity's day-to-day life.

Last time I ran this adventure, the team made sure that the target ended up having to drive himself from one event to another by hijacking the original driver. Then, they slipped the SR3 drug that simulates alcohol (burn?) into his drink and let him drive away. One DUI later and some juciy photos annonymously taken and delivered to local media outlets by the team's contacts and we had one embarassed public official.

It's a nice run to break the pace of the normal high risk action/adventure style runs that so often end up being the bread and butter of a shadowrun game.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 4 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

You can get pdfs of the older adventures pretty cheap, and almost all of them are unconnected one shots.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 4 2006, 03:07 AM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

At the risk of tooting my own proverbial horn, my Shadowrun resources page is at your disposal. It includes program cards for hackers and a number of cheat sheets to make various procedures easy for new players.

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post Apr 4 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

The late 3rd Ed book. Mr Johnsons black book had a run generation table near the back of it.

I've found it useful to start rolling up a run then my brain takes over and I tinker until I get somthing good.

Hell, the thing can trigger ideas just by rolling on it.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Apr 4 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #6

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (NightHaunter @ Apr 4 2006, 08:54 AM)
The late 3rd Ed book. Mr Johnsons black book had a run generation table near the back of it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.