IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun: One Night, Shadowrun Movie Short Released!
eralston
post Apr 6 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,917

The long awaited short is here!

One Night in the shadows is all it takes for most to die. Tonight, it will be all it takes to rediscover why he leads such a dangerous life and what he really left behind when he entered them.

Shadowrun: One Night is a movie short set in the cyberpunk/fantasy cross-over universe of Shadowrun. It is the second machinima by Digital Clockwork and their first collaboration with Black Bird Studio.

The movie is current available on Google video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9...752012951518570

The first Digital Clockwork project, the trailer to the written, but un-produced Shadowrun movie, is also posted there

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Digi...kwork+shadowrun

Anyone interested in more information concerning the movie should visit http://www.eralston.com/SR.html

Anyone interest in contacting me may do so at erik.ralston@gmail.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Apr 6 2006, 02:21 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

LOL ... "the shadows have no fury like and armed woman scorned."

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Apr 6 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

The movie plays, but only with the Google player, and it's so dark, I can't make out any details.

+Quote Post
eralston
post Apr 7 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

The video quality did get badly sacked after being put to google video, but then again it was machinima to start.

If you are having trouble seeing the movie, then, while the google player you should go to the bottom right corner and click the down-facing triangle. Make sure "smooth video" is ticked. If that doesn't do anything for you, set your video to its lowest resolution and set the video size to "original size" or "double size".

Alternatively, I could be educated on a higher quality upload site. I wouldn't mind as long as it didn't cost more than google video.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Apr 8 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Nice choices of music. Very cool though the dark bits are too dark. Otherwise nice.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 04:44 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Why'd he leave the laser behind?

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 9 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

Alright, I love the idea of a Shadowrun video, and this is a good representative example of a run, I think.

But the movie falls flat on a couple of things:

1. The guards repetitive dialogue ("Shoot to kill!", etc). Having them say that five times just got really annoying after a while

2. For Ghost's sake, don't try to put dialogue over loud music and/or sound effects. It gets drowned out. I couldn't hear a lot of it when they overlapped. It would have worked much better if the gunshots, music and other sounds had been muted or even just lowered in volume while the dialogue went.

And just a side note - damn, are lasers really THAT powerful? Granted, that was a prototype, so it could've been more powerful than normal, but yikes!

Also, it would've been nice to see at least one metahuman in all that.

+Quote Post
jklst14
post Apr 9 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #8

CosaNostra Deliverator

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,034

Awesome work! Any more videos planned in the future?

+Quote Post
Ankle Biter
post Apr 9 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,353

Was that done using a Max Payne engine? I'm sure I recognised some of the moves...

edit. Yup, it was.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Is security really stupid enough to be fooled by those disguises?

And what do I have to do to be a voice actor in Part 2?

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 9 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

If Emo gets to be a voice actor, then so do I! :grr:

I'd actually be pretty good at it too, if my old drama teacher is to be believed. She repeatedly told me that I was great at putting believable emotion into my voice, but that my movements were much too wooden. I figure that voice acting would be the best route for me if I ever get into the entertainment business, because hey, you should play to your strengths, and my strength is my voice. I can even speak French in a French accent, if you like. 8)

+Quote Post
DeadNeon
post Apr 9 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,299

Very cool!

The only problem I had with it was that sometimes, the volume on the dialogue -usually during an action scene- was kind of low.

Also, I love the choices of music. I have to ask, what is the song playing during the gunfight in the room with the pillars?

+Quote Post
eralston
post Apr 10 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

I'm glad for the response. Anyone who believes there should be more shadowrun movies, e-mail fanpro@ameritech.net and request fanpro suggest to wizkids that shadowrun could make not just an amazing movie short, but an amazing movie. Feel free to bring up the short.

The "fountain level" gunfight contains two songs, both by the same artist: "Within Temptation" (do some googling if you don't know). The first song is "pale" and the second is "Stand my ground". "stand" is also played over the credits.

Anyone serious about helping me with a sequel should try zipping over to my website and reading my Shadowrun Movie Treatment

http://www.eralston.com/downloads/Shadowru...n_treatment.pdf

My original intention was to get this story, or some variation, seriously produced as a movie

If that never happens then it will be revisited as being produced as a 3 part machinima (when I perfect doing cool things like making metahuman character models, directing techniques, and sound processing). When I go to do that, I will put out a casting call similar to the one I made for this short.

Projects in the near future for me are probably not going to shadowrun related, but as I said, I still have the real movie to make. I need to work on my technique as I move to Source engine so check my web site for progress from time to time.

Thanks a lot guys, I did it all for you

+Quote Post
PH3NOmenon
post Apr 14 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,143

Extremely Nice!

Just wanted to add another congratz to the list.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 14 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #15

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

*clap clap clap clap* Very good, especially considering how little time you had to work with. I didn't have much trouble with darkness, but the sounds overshadowing dialogue was a problem, and sometimes the camera spun just waaay too much at inappropriate moments. Also, the English guy started out a bit annoying, but by the end I was greatly amused by him.

Very good though. I should've bought popcorn before the show.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 18 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #16

Dragon

You seem to have a very Matrix-oriented view of SR. Knight is a phys-adept, the people in your movie do all kinds of shoot dodges, and he runs on a car while it rolls. You'd think that you'd find some other archetype for the main character that is more common in Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
eralston
post Apr 18 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Matrix-oriented? Do you mean to say The Matrix in SR or do you mean that I seem to look at SR through the filter of the movie the Matrix?

Any resemblance to Matrix movies should really be blamed on the Matrixian penchant for borrowing from Chinese Action. For instance, shootdodging in Max Payne was based on John Woo movies, not the matrix. It is about the most interesting thing any of the MP2 character can do, aside from Mona's Cartwheel, so each were pushed toward the edge of overuse to make the movie interesting.

Shadowrunners are uncommon people. In fact, every other member of Knight's team in the movie is a metahuman AND they are an even 2:2 magic to mundace, so yeah, they're an odd bunch on the whole. However, in the cast of "goog guy" characters there is one of every noteworthy type of character:

Adept (Knight)
Decker (Abacus)
Rigger (Husky)
Mage (Shadow)
Street Samurai (Miko)
Shaman (Anna)

I pretty much just made that list and started assigning roles as I formulated the story. A different story would have dictated different assignments. For instance, SR:One Night. Not that one is given a clue in the movie, but Rollins is a badass because he has some non-obvious cyberware. If I had my druthers Tasha would have been an elven adept, but pointed ears was a technical issue. My Voice Director also wanted to mutate someone into an ork or troll, but that was impossible (though still a good idea).

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 21 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #18

Dragon

I have lots of ideas about the movie. Do you use AIM? My name is ninjaphilosopher. If you friends me, we can talk at length.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Apr 22 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Of course, in the RPG, these combats would take hours and hours to run. :P

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 25 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #20

Dragon

Dude, Miko shouldn't have been able to slap Knight; physads beat samurai any day!!!

But just to name a nitpick of mine: how will you indicate that her slapping him is really, really strange? If you just slow-mo it, it'll just look stupid.

+Quote Post
eralston
post Apr 25 2006, 03:19 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

The underlying idea behind Miko would be that she has the prototype tech that's in the Cyberzombie and (not to ruin it for you) Knight spends most of that fight surviving by plotanium cajones alone. In that specific case (under 3rd ed, anyway), he would had to have been definitely superior in order to beat an aware opponent in a surprise round while he was relaxed.

I must admit that "the slap" turns out to be one of those throwaway comments that turns out to be central to conflict resolution ("like the shot of the cook in Hunt for Red October...") and those are always difficult to handle. I would say that a time distortion, it not explicityly slo-mo throughout, could be done without cheesification (especially if the slap did something like toss him into some sort of small aerial maneuver to recover); however, the character comment proceeding are really meant to clarify what happens. Overall, I have quite sometime before I am ever gonna get around to producing the movie (forthcoming announcements may explain why).

Are you always invisible on AIM or something? I've yet to see you

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 25 2006, 03:30 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

A few things bugged me:

1) Volume issues already mentioned

2) Camera panning way too much

3) Why on earth did he leave the laser?

Other than that and a few other minor things though, not too shabby. A thousand times (or more) better than anything I could do. :)

+Quote Post
eralston
post Apr 25 2006, 03:34 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Does no one get that he came for the girl?

Maybe you can't hear it, but in the end he implies she is the reason he lives. Far more valuable than a ludicrously expensive laser...marginally...

"some reasons are worth more than money, not that love is reasonable"

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 25 2006, 04:14 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

That doesn't mean you throw the job and the payment out the window when all you have to do is bend over and pick it up.

+Quote Post
eralston
post Apr 25 2006, 04:32 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

You make it sound so unromantic

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.