IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun voted most wanted game for Xbox 360, Well, most wanted unannounced game
mintcar
post Apr 6 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1464/Mos...x-360-Games/p1/

I decided to start a new topic with this tiny bit of new info, mainly because we only have one topic about the Xbox game and it's nine pages long.

What do you know? Seems the franchise has some wide pull still. It'll at least have the big videogame sites waiting impatiently as far as I can tell. Not just from this article.

<edit> I might have been lying in the title. It doesn't really say there's been a vote. This here site is just claiming the game is among the most anticipated, and has placed it on the first page of the article. Guess I just had to go the route of sleazy journalism and make a half-truth headline to inhance the significance of my find. But I did it because I want to believe there's a huge interest out there! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 6 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Only three pages!

~J

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Apr 6 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #3

Karma Police

Suppose it depends on your settings.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Apr 6 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,853

Yeah, I'm a little excited.

+Quote Post
bustedkarma
post Apr 6 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,420

I'm equal parts excited and terrified.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 7 2006, 07:00 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Hey, I just went and tried out Crimson Skies for X Box. I was a big surprised that Crimson Skies was turned out by Microsoft before Shadowrun, because I thought that Shadowrun was a more popular franchise. Perhaps they thought Crimson Skies would have more general appeal.

The Microsoft Crimson Skies game was a pretty decent game. I thought that it was pretty, that it had reasonable dialogue for a video game, and the engine was easy to learn. I'm not really into flight sims as much as I am FPS games, though, so I don't know if I'll play it anymore. But I think that Microsoft did a decent job of making a game version of Crimson Skies, so on that count I feel reassured.

Did Crimson Skies the X Box game have anything to do with the pen and paper RPG? I never played the pen and paper game so I have no idea. However, I'd guess that in any case the video game could be a nice introduction to a pen and paper RPG, since the video game had specific manuvers for dogfights, lots of different planes with different characteristics, and lots of plane upgrades. That all feels like stuff that is probably in the pen and paper version in more detail.

I dunno. All in all if Microsoft does a decent job like it did with Crimson Skies SR would probably be just fine.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Apr 7 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #7

Karma Police

They say two things in this article that I never heard before (and that is propably not worth a damn, but still). They say that you can only play as a street samurai, and that the game will be out by the same time as PS3 to trumf Sony. That's by next holliday season. I don't buy it though. The release estimate seems very unrealistic as the game has not yet been announced, and limiting the player to the street sam seems just stupid. If they do, it's propable that they do something like what they did in the SNES game; and make the street sam able to do both hacking and magic too, as the game progresses.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 7 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Do you think it'll be a sort of urban System Shock, or Deus Ex? Because Shadowrun, in play, is nothing like Quake with upgrades. And if it's like System Shock, then why can't you play with mages or hackers? And if it's Quake with upgrades, why the hell would they use SR?

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Apr 7 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #9

Karma Police

It's a mystery for sure

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 7 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Did Crimson Skies the X Box game have anything to do with the pen and paper RPG?

Crimson Skies, the FASA product, was actually a board game, although it sort of felt like a RPG, in that it had sourcebooks and fiction published for it. Microsoft ended up owning all of the Crimson Skies IP when they bought FASA Interactive [FASA Interactive developed Crimson Skies and FASA published the board game] -- so, yes, they're the same game world.

+Quote Post
bustedkarma
post Apr 7 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

I'm still preaching the NEED for a Shadowrun MMO.....

and since MSFT just ABSORBED Lionhead Studios, I am having wet dreams about Peter Molyneaux (sp?) developing it as his first venture into the MMO Arena.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 7 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (emo samurai)
And if it's Quake with upgrades, why the hell would they use SR?

Because they own the license and can make money off the sales of games?

It's completely possible to churn out horrible, horrible crap based on a good game. I'm optimistic, but honestly, my hopes for a Console FPS version of Shadowrun turning out to be more than "interesting" aren't great.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 7 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #13

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (bustedkarma)

I just dread the epic levels of stupid people that infest MMOs.

"ZOMG I R WUVEREENE! I HAVE CLAWWS!!!1!"

Ugh...

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Apr 7 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #14

Karma Police

I play WOW now and then, and I enjoy it. I like being in a living breathing world with other people, killing monsters and having casual conversation with the few people you find with half a brain. But it's not roleplaying, and a lot of people in there are stupid. WOW works because it's not serious in any way. You're not expecting anyone to act like anything other than the pubertal jerks most of them are. I would proplably not be able to resist a Shadowrun mmorpg, but it would without a doubt taint my image of the setting so that I could never again take it seriously.

+Quote Post
bustedkarma
post Apr 7 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Good points Mint and Karma.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 7 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

SR is supposed to be a first person shooter, in which case, I'm completely out. Why can't they make it a multi-player co-op like Baldur's Gate or Champions of Norrath? Those engines work just fine, and allow for magic, melee and ranged combat. FPSs's's's (whew!) are generally pretty weak at the RP aspect of an RPG.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 9 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Do you think it'll be a sort of urban System Shock, or Deus Ex? Because Shadowrun, in play, is nothing like Quake with upgrades. And if it's like System Shock, then why can't you play with mages or hackers? And if it's Quake with upgrades, why the hell would they use SR?

Well, I think a Deus Ex style game would be best. In fact, I'm still waiting for someone to make a Deus Ex mod for SR.

Besides, think of how funny and annoying it would be to have a Deus Ex style FPS game where not having a smartlink means that there's no reticle in the middle of the screen. I've been on a real Marathon/Damage Incorporated binge lately and I think that I've gotten pretty good with no-reticle mouse aiming. If you're not used to no-reticle it can really throw you and yet I feel compelled to sceam "bring it" since I've been playing no reticle for a while now.

Oh yeah, it's all about no smartlink gunplay. Now when you "accidentally" gun down civilians in the crossfire, it really was accidental! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Maybe they'll show the gun in the middle of the screen and you'll line up the sight like real life. How accurate the sight is and how much your gun shakes will be based on your weapons skill. Smartlink will maybe do more than just put a reticle on the screen; maybe it'll adjust your targeting for distance, speed, and possibly even give you some auto-aim, while smartlinked grenades will be remote-triggered by DNI. Which will, of course, require about 80 years of programming to get down.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 9 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Maybe they'll show the gun in the middle of the screen and you'll line up the sight like real life. How accurate the sight is and how much your gun shakes will be based on your weapons skill. Smartlink will maybe do more than just put a reticle on the screen; maybe it'll adjust your targeting for distance, speed, and possibly even give you some auto-aim, while smartlinked grenades will be remote-triggered by DNI. Which will, of course, require about 80 years of programming to get down.

Not really, that would be really easy. For years there have been FPS games, even just user mods, that vary the amount of accuracy based on weapon selected, current foot speed, and such. It wouldn't surprise me if there was even one that factored in skill for the PC, although i can't name one off the top of my head.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 9 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (bustedkarma)

and since MSFT just ABSORBED Lionhead Studios, I am having wet dreams about Peter Molyneaux (sp?) developing it as his first venture into the MMO Arena.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 9 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 9 2006, 04:40 PM)

Not really, that would be really easy. For years there have been FPS games, even just user mods, that vary the amount of accuracy based on weapon selected, current foot speed, and such. It wouldn't surprise me if there was even one that factored in skill for the PC, although i can't name one off the top of my head.

Yeah, all those things would certainly be easy enough to code. America's Army takes a lot of that into account and is relatively realistic, i.e. moving and shooting at the same time is basically worthless unless you're spraying full auto and the enemy is five feet in front of you. Most of the time spent on game development now has to do with graphical effects and things like that.

So, yeah, here's to hoping for a good SR FPS game. With irons *and* smartlinks.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 10 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #22

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (ronin3338)
SR is supposed to be a first person shooter, in which case, I'm completely out. Why can't they make it a multi-player co-op like Baldur's Gate or Champions of Norrath? Those engines work just fine, and allow for magic, melee and ranged combat. FPSs's's's (whew!) are generally pretty weak at the RP aspect of an RPG.

RPGs have had a notoriously bad ROI. Fallout was considered one of the best CRPGs ever, but Interplay went out of business a few years after Fallout 2. If memory serves, Baldur's Gate, despite being very popular, still struggled to make a substantial profit. However it's drawing on THE single most popular RPG in the world and a major line of fantasy books. How well would SR do in that place?

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 10 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

I'm interested to see how Bethesda handles Fallout 3. Elder scrolls 4 oblivion is running really well for me out the gate, which gives me some hope they can pull off fallout 3. For SR, it's hard to say, Deus Ex was nice, Deus Ex 2 gave me headaches. Dumbed down interface, smaller feeling levels instead of the feel from the original, EXTREME lack of modability. Check the sites of DX 1 versus the mod sites for DX2. DX1 is still a viable game you could make adjustments and mod changes to, DX2 had a higher resolution mod (fan made I believe, cause the default res sucked for PC) and that's about it.

The game mechanics of SR are what I'm afraid wouldn't translate as well into a computer game. How do you stay true to the feel of the rules? While stuff like Kotor and Neverwinter Nights were cool games, they also weren't really true to the game systems they came from. Great fun, but lost something because they had to make adjustments to be a playable crpg.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 10 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

QUOTE (nezumi)

RPGs have had a notoriously bad ROI. Fallout was considered one of the best CRPGs ever, but Interplay went out of business a few years after Fallout 2.

I know I'm in a huge minority, but I don't even agree with that. The big problem with Fallout was that so many quests were bugged to hell. In my mind, when making a software product, you need to get rid of the bugs first and make things fancy second. Fallout is always interesting enough to draw me in for a few days when I start a new game but then the buggy quests give me a headache.

Incidentally, it really annoys me how a lot of people seem to think that melee sucks in Fallout. Melee actually gets ridiculously powerful. Even straight up unarmed combat with complementary perks and a skill of around 150% is utterly deadly because of the martial arts system. Why is it that I only like Fallout a little bit but I seem to know more about this than the people who go nuts over Fallout and then write in their FAQs how Unarmed Combat is mostly useless?

+Quote Post
bustedkarma
post Apr 10 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (bustedkarma @ Apr 7 2006, 11:24 AM)

Huge PA fan here. In fact that where I got the news that MSFT bought them. I know Lionhead makes promises of grandeur (Fable, good game, lots o fun, not what they prmoised exactly), but I think Peter Molyneaux has vision, and thats what a Shadowrun MMO would take.

The easy formula would be to boil everything down to 9 classes (The PRS formula), limit the Astral Plane to strictly sight, and and dumb the matrix down to small COMPLETE bar at the bottom of your screen. IF it goes to one of those chopshops like SOE, that's what'll happen.

I think Molyneaux would spend 5+ years in development, and another 2 in beta, and kick out a half decent product.

I think a persistent world would be tough, but doing what DDO and to a lesser extent WoW did, by using instances would be cool. I think Karma could be a great way to lessen griefing, I think a combination of an NPC and Playerbased Economy would be great, and I think some sort of cloning would be a must have.

Ok, I'm rambling.

Anyway, Penny Arcade is awesome.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.