IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An odd possibility, given the new similarities...
James McMurray
post Apr 6 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,957

With the creation of technomancers and the similarities between the two systems, how long will it be before a mage/shaman manages to project himself into the Matrix?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 6 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Warning: This is an old discussion that can't lead to a satisfactory conclusion. :)

But to answer your question, I'd personally say it'll never happen. Technomancy and tradition-based magic are entirely mutually exclusive, no matter their metaphysical/game-mechanical similarities and/or "real" origins. Maybe even the tradition-transcending dragons are confused by technomancers since they fall so far outside of the normal metaphysical paradigm. Or maybe they're just nodding their big ol' heads and muttering something about "it had to happen sometime."

That said, ain't nothing stopping an official SR novelist (or private home GM) to suggest that technomagery hybridization can happen in the official timeline. I mean, we've got the novels showing us nuclear bombs affecting astral space and Sam Verner's shamanism accidentally creating a true AI... so all the cards are wild with respect to canonical "cosmic truth."

I'm just waiting to see WTF is going to happen when they send a mage to Mars.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 6 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Azralon)
we've got the novels showing us nuclear bombs affecting astral space

That's pretty much what T:WL tells, too - such events create a mana wrap.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 6 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

ugh. one more reason to dislike technomancers.

+Quote Post
Waltermandias
post Apr 6 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Lenexa, Kansas (Yes Kansas, we ain't all hicks y'all.)
Member No.: 8,291

I think it will really depend on whether the game is going more in the direction of having magic and technology merge, which I personally think is what is going on. Things like Cybermancy and Technomancers (not to mention the "spirit-nuke" from Bug City) look, to me, like the first steps of magic and tech truely becoming one. As such, these themes feature into games I run. Obviously it is still very much up in the air, and I think going in either direction is equally valid.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 7 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Obviously Magic and Technomancy are mutually exclusive - yet, it is proven by game mechanics that Technomancy isn't Magic:
The quality Magic Resistance is mutually exclusive to Magic, too, but can be chosen for Technomancers.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 7 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Mages may not divelop technomancer abilities to control teh Matrix, but if the metaplanes are just "conceptual realities" the matrix is a very likely candidate.

I've wondered this for a while, but up until recently the rules for the two were so disparate that contemplating some sort of crossover was a logistics nightmare. They're still far from transparent, but definitely closer than they've ever been.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Apr 7 2006, 07:15 AM
Post #8

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Obviously Magic and Technomancy are mutually exclusive - yet, it is proven by game mechanics that Technomancy isn't Magic:
The quality Magic Resistance is mutually exclusive to Magic, too, but can be chosen for Technomancers.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it doesn't matter what the page references are, now, does it? :D

I think it will really depend on whether the game is going more in the direction of having magic and technology merge, which I personally think is what is going on. Things like Cybermancy and Technomancers (not to mention the "spirit-nuke" from Bug City) look, to me, like the first steps of magic and tech truely becoming one. As such, these themes feature into games I run. Obviously it is still very much up in the air, and I think going in either direction is equally valid.

That'd be a pity, since the magic/machine duality has been a core theme of Shadowrun from the very beginning. Granted, there are other examples-- Ragnarok's weapon focus nukes come immediately to mind. Personally, I like treating them as yin-yang concepts, that reflect one another but do not ever truly merge.

I mean, we've got the novels showing us nuclear bombs affecting astral space and Sam Verner's shamanism accidentally creating a true AI... so all the cards are wild with respect to canonical "cosmic truth."

Nitpick mode: It wasn't Sam Verner's shamanism that did it, it was Dodger's poking around that formed Morgana.

Mages may not divelop technomancer abilities to control teh Matrix, but if the metaplanes are just "conceptual realities" the matrix is a very likely candidate.

I've wondered this for a while, but up until recently the rules for the two were so disparate that contemplating some sort of crossover was a logistics nightmare. They're still far from transparent, but definitely closer than they've ever been.

i would be *very* careful about introducing this into a game. If a mage developed otaku abilities-- or an otaku developed astral perception-- things would get sticky very quickly. The game could easily overbalance to favor one or the other.

If you want to experiment with this, I suggest that you set up a metaplanar run to a "matrix metaplane", where everything is basically the virtual landscape. Afterwards, there might be hints that what they did had an effect on the real matrix... but nothing conclusive, so they never can know for certain.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 7 2006, 07:24 AM
Post #9

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (Cain)
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it doesn't matter what the page references are, now, does it?

Truely scientific, indeed, just that wasn't what the post is about.
You might want to read again.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Apr 7 2006, 07:35 AM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Truely scientific, indeed, just that wasn't what the post is about.

I know, which is why I put a smiley next to it. However, the point is that the otaku/magic rules are practically a cut-and-paste from one another. Saying that otaku abilities are just another form of magic isn't terribly far off the mark, now more so than ever. The rules act and feel the same, so James's premise can work thematically in a game... it's just that it could get unbalancing.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 7 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #11

Hoppelhäschen 5000

The problem is not 'unbalancing'.

I saw it happening once, and the result was an otaku awakend nano-enhanced transgender catgirl. :dead:

+Quote Post
Synner
post Apr 7 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 185

Simple answer here is: Technomancers have Resonance, Magicians have Magic. They are mutually exclusive. If they are different expressions of the same fundamental ability, then they're definitely at opposite ends of that particular spectrum.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Apr 7 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Grose similarities in the rules do not make otaku / technoshamans magical.

In order to work out if technoshamans are in fact magical you have to assense them.

If a mage can determine wether somebody is a technoshaman buy assensing alone (as they can adepts) then it is probably magical.

If a mage can see obvious mana manipulation while a technoshaman is interfacing with the wireless matrix then technoshamans are defiantly magical.

If nether of the above are true then they are probably not magical.

The above experiments (and many more) will certainly have been performed many times buy corporations, universities and curious mages that can track down a cooperative technoshaman it would be nice of fanpro to tell us where the evidence lies.

Edward

+Quote Post
Edward
post Apr 7 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Other usfull experiments.

Point a old tech (no computer) RF detector at a technoshaman. What dose it detect.

Obtain a technoshaman and perform CAT scans, MRI, anything else you can think of, while the technoshaman is awake, asleep and unconscious.

Anybody got any more

Edward

+Quote Post
Cain
post Apr 7 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #15

Grand Master of Run-Fu

QUOTE (Synner)
Simple answer here is: Technomancers have Resonance, Magicians have Magic. They are mutually exclusive. If they are different expressions of the same fundamental ability, then they're definitely at opposite ends of that particular spectrum.

Just because ultraviolet and infrared are at the opposite sides of the spectrum doesn't mean they're not both light. And you can have something that emits light at the far ends of the spectrum simultaneously-- your everyday lightbulb shoots out stuff all over the spectrum.

They act so much alike, we can call them the same thing, and have no problem with it thematically. It's only for balance reasons that people can't have both.

I saw it happening once, and the result was an otaku awakend nano-enhanced transgender catgirl  :dead:

That sounds like a personal problem. If this keeps happening to you, you might like to speak with a professional dating therapist. ;)

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 7 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 7 2006, 03:15 AM)
Nitpick mode: It wasn't Sam Verner's shamanism that did it, it was Dodger's poking around that formed Morgana.

More accurately, it was theorized as both simultaneously contributing. I omitted Dodger's involvement as superfluous to the discussion at hand.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Apr 7 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Synner)

I understand what you're saying here; my personal belief is just that you're wrong. I think that Technomancerism is an expression of the Awakening, just like Magic is. Fine, they're different abilities, but (like someone below said) they're different in the same way infrared and ultraviolet are different: different expressions of the same basic laws.

In 1st-3rd edition (read: before 2065), Shamanism and Hermeticism were quite distinctly different. Now, they're mildly differing expressions of the same thing. The otaku were nifty and could access computers with their minds; now, technomancers use almost exactly the same mindset (don't even get me started on ruleset) as magicians, just with Sprites instead of Spirits, Complex Forms instead of Spells, and the Matrix/Wireless World instead of Astral Space.

Where you see two mutually exclusive things, I see two different but related traditions converging... And converging pretty quickly, at that. And I guarantee you that if my campaign runs long enough for me to work it in, it'll be a major story arc in the future. :)

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 7 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (neko128)
QUOTE (Synner @ Apr 7 2006, 03:55 AM)

I understand what you're saying here; my personal belief is just that you're wrong. I think that Technomancerism is an expression of the Awakening, just like Magic is. Fine, they're different abilities, but (like someone below said) they're different in the same way infrared and ultraviolet are different: different expressions of the same basic laws.

I might be misunderstanding here, but I don't see Synner's and Neko's statements as incompatible.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 7 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

I'm not overly concerned with giving mages the abilities of technomancers, as the required skillsets and reqource expenditures would be astronomical, and that would come out far in the future of the actual discovery that the matrix is a metaplane. I'm more interested in the ramifications it would have on the world just to have it known.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Apr 7 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Azralon)
I might be misunderstanding here, but I don't see Synner's and Neko's statements as incompatible.

Within the quote (of mine) you extracted, they aren't. His point was, you can have one or the other, but not both; my point was, having one means you ALREADY have both, and it's just expressing differently... But that won't always be true.

+Quote Post
sandchigger
post Apr 7 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 8,425

I thought Deckers were already in effect 'projecting themselves' into the Matrix. Even in earlier editions, the parallels were there.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 7 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the way the technology is described as working, deckers are not projecting themselves anywhere, any more than you're projecting somewhere when you put on a set of VR goggles today. their normal sensorium is suppressed and replaced with ASIST signals generated by their deck, based on information their deck sends and receives. even when a decker gets into a UV host, they're not projecting anywhere. sometimes, some of the novelists get kinda confused about that, but it doesn't change how things work.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 7 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #23

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 7 2006, 03:15 AM)

More accurately, it was theorized as both simultaneously contributing. I omitted Dodger's involvement as superfluous to the discussion at hand.

If we're going to be in nitpick mode, the AI in question's name was Morgan, not Morgana.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 7 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

There is at least one canon example of a magically active otaku (or an otakular magician depending on your point of view). I don't know what he's doing post crash but he may be a technomancer now.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 7 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (neko128 @ Apr 7 2006, 11:54 AM)
His point was, you can have one or the other, but not both; my point was, having one means you ALREADY have both, and it's just expressing differently...  But that won't always be true.

Like Obi-Wan told Luke, it's all about point of view.

Analogy: Dawn and dusk are two different states of the sky. They resemble each other quite a bit, but you can't have both in the same spot at the same time so they're two different things. However, depending on your point of view, they're both still the sky.

It'd be less misleading to say that magic and technomancy are probably both aspects of the same thing rather than suggesting that they are the same thing.

Semantics, yeah, but tricky wording can make people accidentally think they're disagreeing with each other.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.