Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOTA Weapons, Anyone made any?
Shadowmeet
post Apr 6 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,909

I am looking for some fun, interesting weapons that could be in development by corps, that won't unbalance the game too much.

New guns and gear would be excellent payment, or excellent basis for runs. Just wondering if anyone here has come up with any good stuff that they have tested and works well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 6 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

One of my fav's that we created in SR3 was a troll-sized holdout pistol, that was melee hardened and functioned as brass knuckles as well. It was the "squeeze" type hold-out, used HP ammo but LP range, and said "HCUO" across the knuckles.

Crap, I typed all this and realized you're looking for weapons that a corp hopes to put in production. For that, look at the OICW and some of the Metalstorm weapons. I don't have links, but if your search fu is strong, you will find your path.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 6 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

I'm a little amused that the XM8 actually made it into SR4. As far as experimentals go, I'd suggest doing what Ronin said and going with the MS tech. Something a lot like the SF pistol, except upgraded into AR form.

Maybe reintroduce the ultra-high firing rate from CC.

Also, it's kind of hard to beat laser weapons for sheer awesome.

But if you want to keep _too_ many of these weapons from falling into hands of the players, you could have a few options. Pulling a MGS2 and having them subscribed to the Bad Guys, having them explode upon reaching a certain distance from the home facility, pulling a Deus Ex MIB and having area bombs be standard equipment for your super shocktroopers.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 6 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

I've toyed with a pistol/rifle delivery system that shot a "glue-like glob" that would quickly harden and slow down things like people/critters.

I considered tracking "glue damage" like a 3rd condition monitor complete with penalties and when you hit 8+(Body/2) boxes of glue-damage, you would be imobilized. I've also considered this functioning similar to the Glue Strip spells from SR3.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 6 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

Remember the prize in Big D's will about a non-lethal weapon accurate to 100 m. As of the last "canon" mention of this, both Knight Errant and Lone Star were going for the prize but neither had developed anything yet.

If you want to introduce experimental weapons, this is a great plot hook. Although the "non-lethal" part might make it seem "boring", think of all the interesting ways there are to not kill someone. (Aforementioned "glue gun", maybe a "freeze gun", something that shoots boa-like projectiles, some kind of "super-shock" electric weapon...)

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Apr 6 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (mdynna)
Remember the prize in Big D's will about a non-lethal weapon accurate to 100 m. As of the last "canon" mention of this, both Knight Errant and Lone Star were going for the prize but neither had developed anything yet.

If you want to introduce experimental weapons, this is a great plot hook. Although the "non-lethal" part might make it seem "boring", think of all the interesting ways there are to not kill someone. (Aforementioned "glue gun", maybe a "freeze gun", something that shoots boa-like projectiles, some kind of "super-shock" electric weapon...)

Actually, I did not remember that part of the will. Or any part. Where can I find the will? I think I need to read it.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 6 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

How about one of these:
http://www.whitbourne.demon.co.uk/Image539.gif

Zorg’s specialty weapon of choice is called the "ZF.1" and is not detectable by X-rays. It contains an arsenal of a machine gun, flame thrower [Zorg’s Favorite], net gun, missile launcher, freeze-cannon, and has a special "Replay" function that directs all following fire to a previously hit location.

Not safe for use in anything remotely resembling a serious game :silly:

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 6 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

YES! A Fifth Element refernce, I love that movie! :D

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 6 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Complete Will of Dunkelzhan

It'll take you some time to wade through it. If you are interested, this is an excellent link: The Annotated Dunkelzahn's Will, as it gives explanations and (fairly) up to date information about what is going on with the various bequests.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 6 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

a while back, i think there were some posts about a crazy "lightning gun" that could fire a tream of charged particles and then use the path generated to release a large amount of electricity kinda like a flamethrower concept.

i would describe that as being a pretty interesting non-lethal weapon.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 7 2006, 01:04 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Couldn't find a lightning gun... but these might stir up some ideas...

For the DIY'er:
Homemade Sci Fi weapons
Future Horizons

More useful for vehicle/emplacements:
Metalstorm

This should already be available in SR:
PDW

The OICW :love:
OICW

More ideas (several that go "thunk,scatter,boom")
Defense Industry

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Apr 7 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Hmm Like the Coil Gun, and the Ion Phasor

Very Nice!

The OICW is near orgasmic. Hehe

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 7 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

I love the OICW, however, it appears that it may have stalled or been placed on hold indefinitely.

... and that's all I wanted for Christmas :-(

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 7 2006, 04:17 AM
Post #14

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Dear Draco Foundation,
    Force 10 Stunbolt.
    One five-pound brick of orichalcum, please.
            Love,
            Aaron

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 7 2006, 05:19 AM
Post #15

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

VXC-772 gas, the newest chemical weapon from the labs of a small Aztechnology subsidiary. While the project was intended to create a deadly nerve agent things did not go as planned. The resulting chemical is described as both the most effective nonlethal agent ever created and perphaps the most popular recreational drug of the next decade.

Instead of incapacitating targets by causing stun damage potentially killing them if overdosed VXC-772 is a powerful aphrodesiac that causes what scientists link to the project have described as "an uncontrolable sexual frenzy".

Characters exposed to the gas have a compelling urge to perform sex acts with the closest available partner(s) regardless of gender, species, or life status. Resisting this urge requires a Willpower (5) test ever combat turn throughout exposure with the threshhold reduced by 1 for every minute after the character has left the presence of the gas until the effects fully dissipate after five minutes.

A -8 dice pool modifer applies to any nonsexual action taken during exposure.

I would recomend not using this in a game full of immature players or descriptive roleplayers (we want details to be a vauge as is possible) and for the love of all that is good and holy do not use it in a LARP.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 7 2006, 05:41 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Aaron)
Dear Draco Foundation,

Force 10 Stunbolt.
      One five-pound brick of orichalcum, please.

Love,
                              Aaron

stunbolt isn't non-lethal. if you stunbolt someone who's at D stun, you'll deal physical damage to them. do it enough, and you'll kill them.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 7 2006, 06:19 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

I was thinking along the lines of flashing a naked picture of Celine Dion or Joan Rivers, but realized that could be lethal as well.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 7 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #18

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (mfb)
stunbolt isn't non-lethal. if you stunbolt someone who's at D stun, you'll deal physical damage to them. do it enough, and you'll kill them.

That is true. It's actually true of most "non-lethal" weapons.

As a martial arts instructor once said, "There are two kinds of weapons: those that kill, and those that kill with a little more effort."

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 7 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (ronin3338)
The OICW

The XM29 is antiquated by SR standards. It's just an assault rifle with an attached 6-shot grenade launcher (or GL with an attached AR), a grenadelink and rangefinder, yet even at the most optimistic was going to weigh 14lbs.

The HK MP7 PDW is just a Machine Pistol.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 7 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 948

Well, perhaps this might work then.

ARES Shocklance Portable Phaser (ARES SPP)
DV: 8S
AP: Half
Ammo: 10 (Battery)

NOTE: Range as heavy pistol and suffers a -1DV/Range step.

The ARES Shocklance is a product developed from its earlier success in the Firelance weapon system. The “Phaser” fires a low yield laser pulse that leads a powerful electric shock to its target up to 60 meter away, removing the need for either capacitator darts or wires.

ARES are still developing the product and hope for a weapon that can reach beyond the 100 meter barrier. The shocklance has one drawback and that is like the Firelance it requires a quite large backpack to power both the laser and the enough energy to incapacitate the target.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Apr 7 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 7 2006, 12:41 AM)

That is true. It's actually true of most "non-lethal" weapons.

As a martial arts instructor once said, "There are two kinds of weapons: those that kill, and those that kill with a little more effort."

Good quote. :)

Also, Stunbolts have the disadvantage of being usable only by a very small portion of the population.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 7 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (The Jopp)
Well, perhaps this might work then.

ARES Shocklance Portable Phaser (ARES SPP)
DV: 8S
AP: Half
Ammo: 10 (Battery)

NOTE: Range as heavy pistol and suffers a -1DV/Range step.

The ARES Shocklance is a product developed from its earlier success in the Firelance weapon system. The “Phaser” fires a low yield laser pulse that leads a powerful electric shock to its target up to 60 meter away, removing the need for either capacitator darts or wires.

ARES are still developing the product and hope for a weapon that can reach beyond the 100 meter barrier. The shocklance has one drawback and that is like the Firelance it requires a quite large backpack to power both the laser and the enough energy to incapacitate the target.

Warning may be fatal to anyone with a pacemaker or wired reflexes :D

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 7 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

Yeah, but it's a really shiny, well-made machine pistol. :D

I know what you're saying, but honestly, weapons are getting more sophisticated now and most of the cutting edge tech has already been represented in SR somewhere. And the really high-tech stuff (phasers, lightning guns, ion pistols) I don't see as being all that practical. I think that the weapons in development would simply be advancements on existing platforms (more ammo, less weight, more sophisticated smartguns, etc.)

BTW: I never liked the lasers in SR. I think that without a "fusion cell" or something like that, any high energy output weapon is going to be an emplaced or vehicle weapon. Either that, or it's like the lasers in Akira, with big battery packs, slow recharge, and finicky about how it's handled. I only use them in my games as an R&D prototype, not as an issued support weapon.

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Apr 7 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Sort of like the energy guns in the Deathstalker series. After firing, they took several minutes to recharge. By the time they were finished, combat was usually over.

So, they devestated in the initial blast, but after that, were useless.

And in the books, this was actually a change they made on purpose. Back centuries before, they had energy guns that could fire all damn day long. But the Empire felt they were too much a risk. After time, most of the old ones were destroyed.

But, fiction aside, I suppose it could be designed so that it fires off a single shot of devestating power, and then is useless for some time.

If it is tested on a SR, and then the report decides it is not worth investing in, or perhaps needs further work, it can open more adventures for the players.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Apr 7 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (ronin3338)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 7 2006, 06:49 AM)

Yeah, but it's a really shiny, well-made machine pistol. :D

Yeah, and a laser is just a slightly more complex radio transmitter ;).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.