IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Initiative and Initiative House Rule, Ya think it could work?
Eryk the Red
post Apr 6 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,301

I been juggling this idea in my head a bit. It's wholly untested, either in practice or in theory (I suck at probability). I figure since it does retread some ground seen in the past, it could work, at least as well as it ever did.

So, I don't much care for Initiative as it stands. I don't really have a problem with it, but it's tedious rolling every round to see little to no variation. Right now, I have my players roll once and keep it, until I tell them to roll again. Edge dice are rolled separately and only affect that round.

I thought, how about doing it a bit more like the SR of the past, that is, linking your number of IPs to your Initiative roll? It could be interesting. At the very least, it'd give me a reason to care enough to roll every turn. It'd also let me get rid of the ridiculousness that is rolling a dice pool then adding the hits from that dice pool to the number of dice in the dice pool. So, you work it this way. You have your Initiative rating, exactly as the book describes. At the beginning of a round, you roll for Initiative. You do not roll your rating, however. Instead, you roll a number of dice equal to the number of IPs you would have. (So basically, you roll one die by default, and any time a device or ability says it gives you an extra IP, it really gives you another die to roll.) You total up the value rolled on all the dice (if you roll a 5 and a 2, that means you rolled 7). If you spend Edge on the roll, you roll only one extra die, but the Rule of Six applies to all dice. You add your total rolled to your Initiative rating. For this round, you act during a number of IPs equal to that Initiative total, divided by 10 (round up).

I figure that the order of actions in each IP should be based on your actual Initiative rating (not the total with the dice). My as yet unwritten modification to the surprise/ambush rules would allow this value to be modified.

Also, under this system, the 4 IP limit would be lifted.

What do you think? Could it work? Would it be worthwhile? Is it somehow easily broken in a way I don't yet see?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 7 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

It could work, I suppose, but makes high initiative kinda hard. Even with 4 base initiative passes and an init stat of 12 you'd only have a moderate chance of getting more than 3 passes. Rolling and keeping it seems easiest to use and track.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 7 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

So why not just use older version rules, since that's in essence what you are doing?

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Apr 7 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

That makes sense. I suppose for this to really work it'd require a lot more rewriting than I'd care to do. You'd want it to be possible to have more than 4 dice to roll for Initiative, which would require either rewriting every ability or piece of gear that provides bonus IPs, or (worse), making a list of ways in which some of those things are allowed to combine their effects, even though normally they do not.

Or, go it a different way, and have each bonus IP give you 2 dice. I'm no good at this mathe-magic stuff, but I'm figuring that would result in significantly more IPs for everyone, on average.

And, Grinder, I don't really like the older rules other than that bit. I found it very hard to wrap my head around a lot of the rest. I prefer my own Frankenstein version of the current rules.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 7 2006, 03:57 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
That makes sense. I suppose for this to really work it'd require a lot more rewriting than I'd care to do. You'd want it to be possible to have more than 4 dice to roll for Initiative, which would require either rewriting every ability or piece of gear that provides bonus IPs, or (worse), making a list of ways in which some of those things are allowed to combine their effects, even though normally they do not.

Or, go it a different way, and have each bonus IP give you 2 dice. I'm no good at this mathe-magic stuff, but I'm figuring that would result in significantly more IPs for everyone, on average.

And, Grinder, I don't really like the older rules other than that bit. I found it very hard to wrap my head around a lot of the rest. I prefer my own Frankenstein version of the current rules.

Oh I know, I was in denial when I realized you had less of an influence over getting extra Intiaitve passes like in prior versions, and my players liked to bust out the high-initiative scores. Given the fixed number of IP you can achieve, I've stressed to all my players the importance of Edge in SR4.

Here's my contribution to your idea:

Roll your IP (like in prior versions) and add to your Initiative. Spent your "Action Points" by costing each type of action: Free, Simple and Complex actions. Max you can spend per Action Phase is Reaction+IP. Costs might be Free=0 (1 per Action Phase), Simple=3, Complex=6

Here's how it might go with a Street Samuari (SR4:101):

Reaction = 6, IP = 3, = max 9 Action Points per phase.
Initiative dice pool = 9 + 3D6 = 9 + (4+3+2) = total 18 Action Points

On each Action Phase, the largest unspent point total acts first.

Action 1: Free, Simple, Simple (spent=6, total=18-6=12)
Action 2: Free, Complex, Simple (spent=9, total=12-9=3)
Action 3: Free, Simple (spent=3, total=3-3=0)

+Quote Post
Ankle Biter
post Apr 9 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,353

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Apr 6 2006, 10:57 PM)

Here's my contribution to your idea:

*snip*

That's pretty cool. It makes initiative look a bit like feng shui, and that was actually a fairly intuative system.

...but I note that it makes it somewhat difficult for a weaker than average human to get a complex action.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 9 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #7

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Roll your IP (like in prior versions) and add to your Initiative. Spent your "Action Points" by costing each type of action: Free, Simple and Complex actions. Max you can spend per Action Phase is Reaction+IP.

You should only allow the normal alotment of actions per phase (i.e. 6 points), otherwise it can get pretty ugly, I guess. ;)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 9 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

I've no plans to use anything other than SR4's system, I just wanted to contribute something rather than just criticize.

Before SR4 came out, I was speculating they'd use an "Action Point" system, but they kept the Free/Simple/Complex action model, which I like.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 9 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #9

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Yep, it works well enough. Only thing I find weird is, when it comes to comparing physical to astral/matrix Initiative/IPs.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.