> Diary Of A Madman’s Lab Rat, Emo's campaign from a player's POV
FanGirl
post Apr 8 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,438

Saturday, April 8
Hello, chummers. I understand that your very own Emo Samurai has kept you all entertained with his madcap campaign plans, and you’ve probably been wondering how these plans are actually going to play out when inflicted on an actual group. Well, that’s where I come in. You see, I know Emo Samurai in real life, and he has convinced me and three other people into joining his campaign. I join of my own free will, though I’m not completely aware of what I’m getting into.

Anyway, Emo let it slip to me that he posts his ideas on these forums, so I decided to join Dumpshock and give you all the benefit of my perspective as a player in his campaign. I plan to do this by keeping a sort of open diary on this thread, chronicling my experiences and thoughts about the campaign. I’m not going to read Emo’s Dedicated Threads, and I urge you all not to give me any spoilers about their contents: it’s very important that I know as little as possible about what’s in store for me. In order to accurately present the effects of Emo’s campaign on my as-yet uncorrupted psyche, my only sources of information about his plans should be what he chooses to show or tell me.

To give you an idea of where I’m coming from, I feel that I should start by telling you about myself and how I came to know Emo. I’m a 19 year old girl, currently in my freshman year at a small liberal arts college. I’m very booksmart—you’ve probably noticed that I write like I’ve swallowed a dictionary—and I have an abiding love of sci-fi and fantasy. I mention that last bit of information because it was through the college’s Sci-Fi Club that I met Emo, and it was during one of the club’s gatherings that he approached me about joining the campaign. I declined his request initially because I was then in the process of joining another SR campaign, but when that fell through due to scheduling conflicts, I was free to join Emo’s group.

Emo seemed delighted by the prospect of my joining, and last Saturday he gave me a copy of SR4E in pdf form. (UPDATE--April 13, 2006: I hadn't realized that pdfs were copyrighted in the same way that physical books are, so I didn't realize that I was participating in illegal file sharing until today. I therefore purchased the book online just now to escape the wrath of the Big GM In The Sky. Remember, kids: stealing is wrong.) I studied it on and off over this past week, and finally wrote up my character sheet on Friday. Since Emo had steered me towards exploring the wonders of the Matrix, I read up on technomancers and fell in love with the concept. I took the technomancer from SR4E’s Sample Characters section and tweaked around with her to fit with Emo’s house rules. These house rules include 450 BPs, no limits on stat maxing or Qualities, and Complex Forms equal to one’s Resonance (you have to pay 3 BP for them, though). Thus, Fangirl was born: an eccentric young woman whose phenomenal Resonance power is only matched by her boundless optimism and sense of playfulness. I gave Fangirl’s sheet to Emo for approval yesterday, and he was so impressed with me (none of the other group members had even looked at the sourcebook, let alone drawn up their sheets) that he gave me 20 more BPs out of generosity.

Today, he brought me to meet with the other players, two guys I already knew and one I didn’t. Like me, all three guys are new to the shadows. At the meeting, Emo explained choice details about Sixth World life, and asked us what we wanted out of the campaign. We answered that we would follow the “mercenaries with a heart of gold” model, and wanted a campaign with a mix of seriousness and silliness. So far, I’m the only one with any concrete idea of what she wants her character to be like; the others have vague ideas at best. Luckily, they have two more weeks to figure it out, which is when Emo plans to have our first gaming session.

I'll post further entries as events warrant. Any questions, chummers?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 8 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

You... you didn't like him? Why? WHYYYYYYYYY?????

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 9 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

What? Who are you talking about? What did I say?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Oh... I saw
Today, he brought me to meet with the other players, two guys I already knew and one I didn’t. Like me, all three guys are new to the shadows.

And I missed the "." between "didn't" and "Like." Rather inconvenient of me. Sorry.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 9 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #5

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 8 2006, 06:42 PM)
You... you didn't like him? Why? WHYYYYYYYYY?????

Emo, be mindful of period placement before jumping to conclusions. Like is the first word in a new sentence. FanGirl was stating that she knew two and did not know one followed by the statement that she and the other three are all new to Shadowrun.

[Edit- Rats, foiled again]

Fangirl, emo samurai is known for some ideas that some dumpshockers consider to be too wacky or too far out there. Some are actually good. The biggest complaint I've seen is that his ideas tend to be just on the other side of epic and overpowered.
Personally, I don't see a problem with that. I've had some ideas that were much farther out there than emo's that have gone unnoticed or even recieved praise (with the exception of my powerpuff girls cyberzombie team even that didn't recieve unduely harsh criticism).

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #6

Dragon

I think epic and overpowered can work in Shadowrun, though. They make blood mages, people you can conceivably turn in for a million dollars, 8th level initiates+. And anyone can die with a critical glitch while his enemy rolls all 5's and 6's. This works for runners, and it works for enemies.

Epic and overpowered isn't THAT overpowered in Shadowrun. Unless you're a dragon. Or an 8th level blood mage...

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 9 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Well, you can always throw something more powerful at the characters up to the point where Ristul is one of the PCs (although some others may disagree with that assertion). However, it seems that the SR4 system is more suited toward lower level campaigns can gets rather silly when one has enormous dice pools. Of course, 470 BP characters aren't overpowered.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 9 2006, 01:00 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Actually, I can use my calculator to generate a string of random numbers between one and six. The string can be as long as I want it to be, so it will take me just as much effort to roll twenty d6s as it would to roll two. 8)

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Apr 9 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

Fangirl, my hats off to you, though we all like some of emo's ideas, not everyone likes all of them. with that in mind and the fact that your playing a technomancer i show the path to enlightenment by way of ducks top ten list be very careful how you use it

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Apr 9 2006, 01:05 AM
Post #10

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

See my take is Emo, ya make GREAT comic relief. For most DSers, your SO far over the normal line, its really quite entertaining. But un like many ofthe really over the top peole, your not abrasive, and even likeable at times.
Much like the cyberzombie powerpuff girls. But much more, emo, and prone to flipping out and killing everyone.

Actually now that I think about that Ill take it back, its CZ PPGs.... no good can come of that what so ever.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 9 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

Wow. Everybody's being all nice, and welcoming... I feel bad.

I feel bad 'cause my first thought was, "Emo met a girl?!"

:P

Seriously, I can't wait to hear the reports from the trenches.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 9 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (FanGirl)
Actually, I can use my calculator to generate a string of random numbers between one and six. The string can be as long as I want it to be, so it will take me just as much effort to roll twenty d6s as it would to roll two. 8)

It isn't the number of dice. It is the probability of success. There comes a point where only GM fiat prevents a magician from powerbolting the sun into oblivion.
Luckily, that point is far far above 450 BP

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #13

Dragon

QUOTE (Ronin3338)

Dude, you have a handle with a random number at the end. Your opinion about anything officially does not matter at all. :P

And who else was weird but abrasive? I've already seen the "Lesbian Elf Ninja saves Stuffer Shack" and "OMG FLAME CREEPWOOD TO THE GROUND" threads. Anyone else? Boskop seems okay, if a little illogical and wont to spam my threads with totems of animals that might eat insect spirits.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 9 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

I thought that you might like to see my character sheet. I should mention that I get 470 BP, no extra penalty for maxing skills or attributes, 4*Cha extra BP just for contacts, and Complex Forms with ratings equal to my Resonance for only 3 BP each. I also had the opportunity to add 2 Essence points worth of cyberware without penalty, but chose not to take it.

[ Spoiler ]
--REVISED EDITION

EDIT:
QUOTE (ronin3338)
Wow.  Everybody's being all nice, and welcoming... I feel bad.

I have four theories as to why so many people are being nice and welcoming:

Theory 1: They are naturally nice and welcoming.
Theory 2: They are super-nerdy and have little experience with the opposite sex, so once they realized that a girl was in their midst, they went "OMG CHIXXOR!" and are now being nice and welcoming to me in hopes of getting a pic. (It's not gonna happen, boys. :P)
Theory 3: They feel bad for me because I'm in Emo's campaign, and are being nice and welcoming out of pity.
Theory 4: Some combination of Theories 1, 2, and 3 is true.

That actually gives some credence to Theory 2.

Seriously, I can't wait to hear the reports from the trenches.

I can't wait to be in the trenches. I think I can tolerate this over-the-top stuff pretty well, but I'll say one thing: the second that that Emo has the villain start to lower us into a pool of sharks with laser beams attached to their heads, I'm quitting the group..

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Apr 9 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #15

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Nah, they're just lulling you into a false sense of security plus SL James doesn't seem to be here yet. I'm sure he can muster some nasty.
As a note you aren't the only girl on DS, and some of us DSers have long standing relationships with girls, some claim to be married, but they are quite old so can't be trusted.
Welcome have fun, read about the cool grit Emo ignores, smack him, on our behalfm when he goes into berzerk Leet(I will not use the f'ing numbers) speech anime frothing.

Are you sure you can't guve us a picture?

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 03:06 AM
Post #16

Dragon

1 0|\||_ :nuyen: 133R53R|< 1337 VV|-|3|\| 17'5 VV4RR4|\|73|).

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 9 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Okay, here's a picture of what I might look like if I were a South Park Character.

If I had a nose it would be cute.

I've resolved not to put an actual photograph of myself online because of all the creepy bad people who might find it and use it for their own twisted purposes. If you really want to know what I look like, you could ask Emo to describe me.

About Emo's l33t-sp33k--When I first said I would join the campaign, he informed me that "it will roxxor." He actually said the word "roxxor." :rotfl:

Oh, and I assumed that there are other females here. I just figured that the males form a sizable majority, that's all.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #18

Dragon

That's "r0xx0rz."

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 9 2006, 03:51 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Oh, because "r0xx0rz" is so much less nerdy than "roxxor." :P

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #20

Dragon

No, it just r0xx0rz more.

+Quote Post
caramel frappucc...
post Apr 9 2006, 03:58 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,870

QUOTE (FanGirl)
Theory 2: They are super-nerdy and have little experience with the opposite sex, so once they realized that a girl was in their midst, they went "OMG CHIXXOR!" and are now being nice and welcoming to me in hopes of getting a pic. (It's not gonna happen, boys. :P)

The fact that female gamers do not exist and the fact that you go out of your way to tell people that you're a girl lead me to the conclusion that you are, in actuality, a 42 year old man named Ernest who plays Playboy: The Mansion and has a beer gut the size of Oklahoma.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 04:04 AM
Post #22

Dragon

No, she's a girl. The internet has darkened your soul, robbing you of your ability to trust.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 9 2006, 04:09 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (caramel frappuccino @ Apr 8 2006, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (FanGirl)

The fact that female gamers do not exist and the fact that you go out of your way to tell people that you're a girl lead me to the conclusion that you are, in actuality, a 42 year old man named Ernest who plays Playboy: The Mansion and has a beer gut the size of Oklahoma.

:rotfl:

I repeat the claim that I'm a girl because I'm making fun of guys who hold the attitude that "female gamers do not exist" and their often-repeated insistence that anyone on a game-related website or MMOG who claims to be female is lying. Also, I remind you that I know Emo IRL, and he can attest to the fact that I'm a girl.

EDIT: And as you can see, Emo already attested to it--without being prompted by me, mind you--because he has a higher Initiative score than me.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 9 2006, 04:13 AM
Post #24

Dragon

It's the spell quickened into my aura.

+Quote Post
caramel frappucc...
post Apr 9 2006, 04:16 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,870

Emo attesting to anything is a testament to the veracity of the opposite, therefore I must be right.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.