Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why implant?
Nasrudith
post Apr 10 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,447

I've found no reason to have an implanted commlink, cybereyes, spurs, datajacks or other cyber weapons. All they do is cost more essence and :nuyen:.
Goggles:
Decked out with everything on the list at it's max rating.
2,225 :nuyen:.
Cyber eyes: Full system. Rating 4. No Ocular drone or Retinal Duplication.
10,850 :nuyen: 0.5 Essence
Cost Ratio Eye to Goggle approximately 4.9

Is there a reason to go cyber when you can?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aku
post Apr 10 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #2

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

for the decker i made, i implanted a comm, and had a visable, public external comm as well, for those random sweeps, yep, one person, one commlink, oko hes normal... sorta things

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 10 2006, 03:19 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

I think implants still benefit from the always on/always available factor. They can allow for a secure fallback in the new days of PANs. If I raid your house when you're sleeping, you have to grab all your gear first if you want your full bonuses right? But with cyber stuff, you can be ready to go quickly. A cybered dude in his underwear is going to be better equipped than the non-cybered dude in his underwear who needs the same type of external gear to get the same benefits.

Internal gear also benefits from protection versus being ripped off in the heat of things.

Datajacks are still the haven of secure links. A wireless smartlink has a chance of being spoofed and taken, an old fashioned direct link has the benefit of security, since its not broadcasting in a way to be taken over.

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Apr 10 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,909

Not to mention, you will be allowed in places with cyberware that you would not be with specialized kit. For instance, going to a meet? Well, your eyes will be allwed (Though noted) while the goggles might suggest you were waiting for some action. Put off a johnson, and you might not get the job.

Not to mention, external means stolen, told to take off, etc.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 10 2006, 03:37 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Does a smartlink have to be wireless? Is there no longer a connection in your hand?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 10 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

actually, voran, by default datajacks are wireless too :P

or at least, new ones anyways. naturally, old datajacks may remain wired or may be upgraded i suppose.

but anyways, as has been said the main reason for implanted gear that you can get in non-implant form is theft protection. generally speaking, if someone steals your implanted commlink, you probably don't care any more anyways. (on account of you've got a large hole in your head).

also, sometimes the DNI is nice... can't hack that :)

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Apr 10 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,909

Personally, with so much wreless subversion, I'd probably go to a Doc who could hardwire my shit.

+Quote Post
Rooks
post Apr 10 2006, 05:47 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,355

No, there is no real reason for those implants unless you want to waste essence they will have cyberwear detectors anyways and just get glasses instead of googles "what take off my glasses? but I can't see without them! also what shadowrunner in their right mind sleeps in their underwear defenseless? my character sleeps in an armored jacket with a pred under the pillow

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 10 2006, 05:53 AM
Post #9

Running Target

I guess I'm just 'old fashioned'. Heh I like the more secure hardwired stuff. But mix it with the external gear as possible.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 10 2006, 06:07 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Rooks: yeah, they'll have cyberware detectors, but it's a lot easier to make someone take off their goggles than their eyeballs. If you make the con check to convince them that you really can't see without the goggles then you're golden, but unless those goggles are somehow implanted into your head you may have difficulty.

Voran: You sleep in an armored jacket? That's gotta be really uncomfortable. Does your GM apply any penalties afterwards because you didn't sleep worth a crap?

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 10 2006, 06:46 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Rooks sleep in the armored jacket, not I :) I was going to ask the same thing tho :P

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Apr 10 2006, 06:50 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

QUOTE (Rooks @ Apr 10 2006, 01:47 AM)
No, there is no real reason for those implants unless you want to waste essence they will have cyberwear detectors anyways and just get glasses instead of googles "what take off my glasses? but I can't see without them! also what shadowrunner in their right mind sleeps in their underwear defenseless? my character sleeps in an armored jacket with a pred under the pillow

Does that come with matching Kevlar pijamas?
Heck even in D&D adventurers would remove their armour when bunking in a real bed....

You want an armoured comforter? Fine, but as your GM, I'd apply some nice penalties for not being able to get a good night's sleep. (unless you're a troll, you may not notice the difference.)

[edit]
As a side note, I hope your runner sleeps light... one missed perception check, and no armour in the world is going to stop an assassin from slitting your throat (or some other convenient vulnerable spot) in your sleep

This post has been edited by Dranem: Apr 10 2006, 07:09 AM

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 10 2006, 06:53 AM
Post #13

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Nasrudith)

To get those things you can't get by using external gear?

Retinal Duplication is one thing, cyber select sound filters got three levels more, balance augmention is nice, too, not to speak of the possibility of really subtle recording.

Most of the time, it's just the comfort of 'always there', though - being paid with essence means that they will be protected by your body/willpower, too.
As a sidenote, googles with everything are really hard to get.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 10 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

Sleeping in armor? Ha-ha! Sarcasm.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 10 2006, 07:15 AM
Post #15

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Nasrudith)

The additional cost is almost neglectible. The benefit is mostly subtlety. Subtlety is good! :)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 10 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #16

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Does a smartlink have to be wireless? Is there no longer a connection in your hand?

Correct. It's an eye implant. You could probably use a skinlink, though.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 10 2006, 07:42 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Mental note: slap some IC in my smartguns and link. :)

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Apr 10 2006, 07:42 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

From what I read in the BBB, the skinlink mod is the latest Induction Pad tech... so get a gun with a Cyberware Smartlink + Skinlink and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Smartlink II + Induction Pads of previous editions.
(Note skinlink will not work for external vision mods)

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 10 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #19

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Nothing says they won't. You install a skinlink in the glasses and the earbuds, you've got a "wired" connection established. While you're at it, toss a skin link on your jammer, your white noise generator, and any other sensor type devices so that instead of pulling out object A to deal with situation B, you just pull out the commlink and pretend to make a call or access a file, meanwhile you've accessed god knows how many devices and activated them.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 10 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #20

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

or just go simsense with nanopaste trodes or that wireless datajack. then you dont even have to pull out the comlink, just think about it :P

hmm. now that i think about it, how do you "jack out" when using a wireless datajack?!:eek:

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 10 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Nasrudith @ Apr 9 2006, 07:15 PM)
I've found no reason to have an implanted commlink, cybereyes, spurs, datajacks or other cyber weapons. All they do is cost more essence and :nuyen:. 
Goggles:
Decked out with everything on the list at it's max rating.
2,225 :nuyen:.
Cyber eyes: Full system. Rating 4.  No Ocular drone or Retinal Duplication.
10,850 :nuyen: 0.5 Essence
Cost Ratio Eye to Goggle approximately 4.9

Cyberware is a cultural item in Shadowrun and is specifically metioned as so in SR4. You'd be the odd-man out using goggles, although glasses or contacts are neat ideas but those are harder to bring along and less durable than Cybereyes. For the runner on the go, being self-contained goes a long way.

Yes there are drawbacks to some cyberware, but most general populace places don't care unless you are packing heat. If you are for some reason in a High security area, your ID, gear and cyber would all be under scrutiny so you'd lose there in any case.

And in your moment of insanity if you decided to take a public flight, then just turn in your Runner's License at the door chummer.

Short answer, it's always been a part of Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 10 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I'm not sure, but I think there might be an availability issue as well. Considering that all the add-ons are listed with a +X on their availability, I was ruling that they stacked together. Eg. Base Avail. of vision (goggles, glasses, whatever), then +Enhancement 1, +Enhancement 2 etc.

If this is the case, I believe that you can't get non-cyber vision mods with as many goodies as you can with the cybered version. That seems odd meta-game wise (non-cyberware is harder to get?) but considering the prevalence of cyberware in SR (the book specifically mentions cyber eyes IIRC) it is justifiable. ("You're wearing goggles?")

EDIT: Assuming of course that you are using the "standard" Availability limit of 12 on character creation.

+Quote Post
Dale
post Apr 10 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

As well as all the good reasons above, CYBER IS COOL !

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 10 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #24

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

one of the good scenes in the jonny mnemonic movie was when he used a fake id to make the neural storage implant appear as some sort of medical implant. i would guess that if you have a nice fake id, atleast your R implants should be ok for a public flight...

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 10 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Yeah, and if you have a reaaallly good fake ID even the F gear should be ok. Just be sure to also have licenses and not just the ID. :)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.