Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quickdraw & Weapons other than pistols, Pulling a fast one
Whisper
post Apr 10 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 308

So the rules state that you can take a quick draw action to draw and use a pistol-sized weapon or smaller. However, the rules also state that you use the Pistols skill to make the check to pull the weapon.

I would like to quick draw a throwing knife. Since throwing knives are pistol-sized or smaller, I would think that I should be able to use the Throwing Weapon skill to make the quick draw check.

This seems like the correct ruling, but I'd like to hear what others might think.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 10 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

I'd allow it.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 10 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I'd have no problem with going so far as to allow quickdrawing a katana and see little reason to deny a character the ability to quickdraw any weapon so long as that character is wearing the weapon in a fashion that allows quickdrawing.

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 10 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

I wouldn't allow it with things like katanas because using them is a complex action where as shooting a pistol or throwing a prepared weapon is a complex action. Instead of using quick draw for throwing kniuves, you ready a weapon to throw, and can prepare upto agility/2 (not sure about that one) in knives shuriken whatever. Once prepared you can throw them each as a simple action.
So instead of a quick draw which requires an extra test, you ready the weapons and use only the one test to attack.
As a gm I might allow it with small thrown weapons, but I'm not sure.

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 10 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

soory I don't know how to edit stuff, but I looked at my response and realised I should have said throwing weapons orr shooting a pistol is a simple action.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 10 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

What about the situation where you've seen a person quickdraw a sword and do a slash in one fluid movement? Does that not also qualify as quickdrawing? Just food for thought.

To edit, log back in, go to your post and click on the edit button, it should be available next to the profile, report, and quote button of that post. It's on the upper right portion of the specific post.

+Quote Post
Waltermandias
post Apr 10 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

From: Lenexa, Kansas (Yes Kansas, we ain't all hicks y'all.)
Member No.: 8,291

Obviously you all don't understand what the skills represent. Throwing covers throwing weapons, such as knives, grenades, etc. Pistols covers firing handguns and handgun like weapons and drawing smallish objects out of things. Duh. You also roll agility + pistols to get your keys out really fast, to open your mail while under duress, etc.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 10 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

edit: never mind...

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 10 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Duh, of course, I see the light. I'll use my pistols skills so I can quickdraw my lockpick.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 10 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

I'm rolling Pistols + Agility when I hit the "Fast Reply" button on the forums.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 10 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

That's weird. I'm rolling a Reaction (4) test for that.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 10 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
That's weird. I'm rolling a Reaction (4) test for that.

That's why he beats you, a pistols and agility together has a better chance of successes than your measly reaction! Don't forget to spend that edge by the way.

Heh, I remember waaaay back in 1st and second edition games, one of the players had a character with agility so high he would joke about defaulting to it from <insert skill> on the skill web...

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 10 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Ahh, the skill web. I'm glad it's dead.

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 10 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

afm
A fucking men

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 10 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
That's why he beats you, a pistols and agility together has a better chance of successes than your measly reaction!

He's going to need all those extra dice because he's rolling against 5 instead of 4. And what's this "edge" you're talking about?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 10 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Who knows what I'm talking about, he might get 'lucky' though...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 10 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Azralon)
Ahh, the skill web. I'm glad it's dead.

i still rember my first reaction when looking at it in SR2.
it was like thac0, but taken to the nth degree...

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post Apr 11 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

QUOTE (fool)
I wouldn't allow it with things like katanas because using them is a complex action where as shooting a pistol or throwing a prepared weapon is a complex action. Instead of using quick draw for throwing kniuves, you ready a weapon to throw, and can prepare upto agility/2 (not sure about that one) in knives shuriken whatever. Once prepared you can throw them each as a simple action.
So instead of a quick draw which requires an extra test, you ready the weapons and use only the one test to attack.
As a gm I might allow it with small thrown weapons, but I'm not sure.

The problem with not allowing it with katanas is: They are designed to be used that way, basically quick draw and strike, then you re-sheath it cos your opponent has lost his head.
And they are not much bigger then a heavy pistol, longer maybe.
A good example on them is robocop's gun.
I believe its about Ruger Thunderbolt sized, about a foot long.

Skil Web: Let me just say this; I default to fixed wing aircraft! (to swing this club)

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 11 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 98

While I'm aware that the "draw and strike" technique of katana usage exists (but I can't remember the name for the life of me), I'm pretty sure katanas were designed to be used in a slightly more... extended format?

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 11 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

IMO using melee weapons with a quick draw would require the sr3 adept ability- quickdraw which specifically allowed adepts to quickdfraw a weapon and use it in the same action.
Katanas may be "designed" to be used this way, sometimes, but it takes the special ability to do it; those who could were highly trained warriors, not the lowly newbies. The other problem is tat if you allow it for katanas why not allow it for every other weapon?
I might allow a player with the quick draw adept power (when it gets ppubliched, assuming it's included int eh new magic book) to have a lower threshold for using a katana or other weapon that "historically" was used in a quickdraw method.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 11 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Apr 11 2006, 03:32 PM)
While I'm aware that the "draw and strike" technique of katana usage exists (but I can't remember the name for the life of me), I'm pretty sure katanas were designed to be used in a slightly more... extended format?

My nerd knowledge skills suggest that the technique was called iaijutsu and that katanas were meant primarily for mounted cavalry "ride-by" attacks.

I reserve the right to be shown up by a bigger nerd or (less likely) a legitimate Japanese historian.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 11 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #22

Runner

I guess I get lost on the part of this scenario where people whip their katanas in and out of the sheathes during any kind of battle. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it out ahead of time, or to keep it out once you'd drawn it because of the 50 other random dudes running around?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 11 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Which is why it's generally not practiced except in dueling situations.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 11 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

It isn't even practiced in dueling. It is prcticed as a response to a surprise attack. Most iaido katas begin with responding to an an attack with a quickdraw and a cut and then continue with the sword drawn untill all imaginary opponets have been slain.

An beginner can draw and cut at the same time after being shown the technique. Correct form and deadly accuracy requires a great deal of practice just like everything else.

It doesn't take much skill to sraw and cut with one motion. Any beginner can do it. It does take skill to get the timing right and to cut correctly.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 11 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #25

Runner

Ruleswise, I think I'd be inclined to make a "quickdraw" action take as long as a normal attack with that kind of weapon. So yeah, RAW Quickdraw lets you spend a simple action to draw and make a simple-action type attack with a firearm... it's not much of a leap from there to allow a complex-action QD to haul out a SMG and go full auto, or a complex-action QD to haul a knife out of your armpit and slam it into a guy's throat.

You'd use the applicable weapon skill, of course...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:30 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.