> im new, heres a theory
Cogar
post Apr 12 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,456

Theory:
Imagine a world where the Megacorps didn’t exist, it was just the same ole world, the awakening still happens, but because there are no MC’s technology progress’ much slower then Shadowrun world. So you haven’t got Deckers, the matrix etcetc.
The magic gets to a point at which rifts can appear letting the horrors through, and the world is plunged into darkness. This is what I believe a lot of people foresaw and things were put into motion to create these “SHADOWRUNNERS”.

Against the horrors or whoever, standard awakened people would be butchered, however because shadowrunners were/are pushed to the extremes in all things TECH magic, etcetc earth now has a 2nd line of defence, if not first. And they can last a little longer.

Shadowrunners I believe from the cannon ive read, were a concept of some higher power to be the new heroes of earth :)

discuss :) what you reckon?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SL James
post Apr 12 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #2

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Sounds kind of like Earthdawn.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Apr 12 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 185

Or Rifts...

+Quote Post
Cogar
post Apr 12 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

all im saying is that when the crap hits the fan, earth, has been brought to the point where Magic and Tech have given the SR universe a go shot at defending.

In 'harlequins back' you fight some demons on the other side of the bridge, are those things horrors ? or some sort of other spirit???

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Apr 12 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

The basic theory being that the world has been manipulated to by powerful beings to create the conditions in which shadowrunners occur... Interesting, completely barmy but but in a clever way. Well done.

+Quote Post
Cogar
post Apr 12 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

yes! thats correct you hit the nail on the head

i mean come on .... Dunkys Will made a change, when he was dead

imagine what he was doing in his life time !!

The Awakening happened it could never be stopped as its the natural cycle of things.

what the "powers that be" thourght was "these guys arent ready, time to stir things up"

That begun with the court-case leading to companys gaining Extra territorial rights (if thats what its called)

The second being maybe the invention of the SIN, in essence sundering the community into 2, people who are ..... and people who arent ..... effectively Creating the Shadows which we all Enjoy living and running in :)

What you guys think?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Apr 12 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #7

Mystery Archaeologist

I'm not sure if it works well really. From Canon sources we have suggestions that the Immortals undermined religion in favor of science to push the tech curve into moving and probably encouraged balkanisation, which in turn encourages wars which promote weapon developement. They may have help encouraged the corps to help produce more sealed communities (less of a jump to Caers). But to create the Sinless doesn't seem right. If the plan is to save lives your causing a huge number of people to slip through the cracks and only a tiny fraction of these become Shadowrunners, who mostly aren't hero material, not a working plan.

Add in the fact that they encouraged balkanisation so that they could carve out there own domains and you start to doubt any altruistic motivation. The Only decent immortal is Dunk and he was asleep for the fifth world.

+Quote Post
Cogar
post Apr 12 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Good points there,

just seems to me Shadowrunners have near legendary powers, and that there is something comming that will need that power.

as for shadowrunners are not hero types, yeah that really doesnt matter because in the end its survival that matters, and if there is a event like horrors entering the world, you may see alot of bad people quickly take up arms against a greater foe.

and the power that runs things doesnt have to be one entity, it could be a group of people who have lived long enough to be able to mess around with events.

your points are valid and you sound like you know alot more about SR cannon then me:) soo ill take your points on board.

What do you in your opinion, if your still going with my theory were the main events for the occurance of the Shadowrunners :)

*please bear in mind this is a theory, just tossing around ideas, and im not at all looking to break cannon, just want a hearty disussion :D*

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Apr 12 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #9

Mystery Archaeologist

The rise of the Megas is the import thing for the creation of shadowrunners really. Though I suspect that there are even nowadays professional criminals speciallising in industrial espionage. The ExT thing just ups it a bit and possibly makes slipping between the cracks easier. The Size of the Megas means that lots of money is involved in their level of business so the stakes go up and the Criminals become Shadows to better hide from the system.

I'm pretty sure most immortals plans for the (3rd) Scourge is to be in place to go. "Oh you need protection from the evil demons, make me your eternal overlord for life and I'll let you into my fortress." Dunk was trying to start humans developing there own means of protection, as has happened before.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 12 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Cogar)
just seems to me Shadowrunners have near legendary powers, and that there is something comming that will need that power.

See, I disagree. If you want near-legendary powers, you go to various national or corporate special forces. Shadowrunners, while certainly powerful, are crippled by the practicalities of day-to-day life and subsistence—though they're certainly going to be better against Bone Crown than a more regular force.

~J

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Apr 12 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #11

Mystery Archaeologist

They are also on some level much freer thinkers than the much more dangerous military types, which means that as Kage says they are good against things like Bonecrown. They'll spot odd manipulations of people around them happening because that sort of awareness is how they survive. The Big physical threat horrors are not going to be a threat in SR, because of naval weapons, the insidious ones will be a problem and abject paranoid types like runners may spot them better than saner people.

Plus most of characters are so screwed up they'd be unpalatable to horrors in the same way Blood Elves are...

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 12 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Ophis)
I'm not sure if it works well really. From Canon sources we have suggestions that the Immortals undermined religion in favor of science to push the tech curve into moving and probably encouraged balkanisation, which in turn encourages wars which promote weapon developement. They may have help encouraged the corps to help produce more sealed communities (less of a jump to Caers). But to create the Sinless doesn't seem right. If the plan is to save lives your causing a huge number of people to slip through the cracks and only a tiny fraction of these become Shadowrunners, who mostly aren't hero material, not a working plan.

Add in the fact that they encouraged balkanisation so that they could carve out there own domains and you start to doubt any altruistic motivation. The Only decent immortal is Dunk and he was asleep for the fifth world.

Oh the SINless serve a purpose in the plan of the immortals: Cannon Fodder or a distraction to buy them enough time to activate their plans.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Apr 12 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

QUOTE (Ophis)
They are also on some level much freer thinkers than the much more dangerous military types, which means that as Kage says they are good against things like Bonecrown. They'll spot odd manipulations of people around them happening because that sort of awareness is how they survive. The Big physical threat horrors are not going to be a threat in SR, because of naval weapons, the insidious ones will be a problem and abject paranoid types like runners may spot them better than saner people.

Plus most of characters are so screwed up they'd be unpalatable to horrors in the same way Blood Elves are...

I am sure someone will create a pain induction piece of cyberware/nanites that will make them undesireable to horrors but leave them unscarred.

Am I the only one that thinks of that Final Fantasy movie everytime they think of horrors? I am expecting to hear tales of the heart of Gaia merging with the heart of the horror homeworld.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Apr 12 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

nah pain editors
No Pain no Horror

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 12 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

~J

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Apr 12 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #16

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Interesting... how to horror proof your self.

I should go read up on some ED lore, the more I hear, the more I like.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 12 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #17

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

As has been said, what works against one horror certainly doesn't work against them all. Turning off physical pain would probably not rate as being as effective as constantly being in excruciating pain. In the former you're still vulnerable to all sorts of forms of psychological trauma and fear of physical threats. In the latter you're probably pretty distracted by being in constant excruciating pain, so psychological trauma loses its edge compared to the psychological trauma you're already suffering.

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Apr 12 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

would a person have to be aware of their suffering on a concious level for these ideas to be effective?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 12 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Unless they've ceased to be aware of anything on a conscious level, yes.

Putting a pain editor into a thorned Elf should, by my reckoning, turn them back into tasty Horrorchow.

Edit: thought for the day: a good way to have fun is to cast Agony on someone with a pain editor, 'cause you know they won't be expecting it.

~J

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 12 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #20

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Lindt)
I should go read up on some ED lore, the more I hear, the more I like.

Yeah, a nwe convert :) Pick up some cheap PDFs at DTRPG.com, they're a good start. I recommend Serpent River to ge a good feeling for the world.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 12 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Or if you just want to dive into it, Horrors. Probably the best sourcebook I have ever read, period.

~J

+Quote Post
brennanhawkwood
post Apr 12 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 7,468

QUOTE (Platinum @ Apr 12 2006, 10:17 AM)
Am I the only one that thinks of that Final Fantasy movie everytime they think of horrors?  I am expecting to hear tales of the heart of Gaia merging with the heart of the horror homeworld.

Nope.

I've considered a couple of times running a 'shadowrun' game set a ways further forward during the 6th World's Scourge using a lot of the imagery from the Final Fantasy movie as inspiration. I kind of envisioned the world being pretty trashed with the most of the survivors jammed into orbital habitats (where the horrors can't reach due to being outside the gaiasphere) and cities shielded by large techno-magical barriers (looking kinda like the shielded cities in the FF movie).

Specialized military units and mercenaries (read shadowrunners) would make forays into the surrounding areas in a constant fight to keep the horrors and their twisted creations off balance and away from the cities or simply i the pursuit of resources or abandoned 'treasures'. The setting could have tension between the horrors and the survivors, the survivors stuck on earth and the (possibly) better off ones in orbit, between different groups of survivors competing for resources, etc...

I even seem to recall that in some fiction or another one of the IEs or Dragons commented that this time around the merger of technology and magic might be enough to allow mankind to stand against the coming of the horrors. The way I envision it they overestimated our abilities, but not by much...

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 12 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #23

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I get really irked every time I see someone comment that the horrors can't get us if we move into space habitats. The theory doesn't hold to scrutiny.

For one, space is a manawarp not an ebb. Magic is possible in space it just isn't easy because the mana there is aspected toward radiation and sterility. Horrors thrive in corrupted mana and they leave massive patches of it in their wake.

However, even assuming that horrors can't survive in the mana warp, a space colony certainly isn't safe. Longterm peaceful habitation reduces such background counts. This is canon. Space stations that have been around for a few decades have a BC around 8 and that'll keep dropping as time passess and as more people inhabit them. Give it a few centuries and you could have space colonies with BCs around 2 or less.

But horrors have to travel through space to get to the colonies, you say. No, they do not. Horrors have access to the metaplanes. A being that can pop into the metaplanes at will can then pop out out anywhere without passing through any intervening space or time. This is why the Rites of Passage and Protection are so important. These ubberwards prevent anything from bypassing them through the metaplanes. Without them, practically any horror can simply teleport into the habitat and cry havok.

+Quote Post
brennanhawkwood
post Apr 13 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 7,468

And what about my post indicated that such an idea would follow have to follow canon SR lore? What about the OPs post follows canon lore? I was sharing an idea I've toyed with in case others might find it cool. It was an idea, a concept, nothing more or less. It certainly did not merit being jumped all over in such a confrontational manner.

IIRC, the connection between Earthdawn and SR and thus Earthdawn style horrors themselves are pretty shaky canon as well...and depending on which books a person has access to or opts to use, the idea can still work very well. I know I and a number of people I know do not have the later books (which is, IIRC, where the clarification of what is going on in space occurred), afterall, for many people those books got a little hard to find after FASA closed its doors.

Now, if people would like to discuss the ideas in this thread, their merits and weaknesses and so on, that would be cool...but lets not jump all over people because what one person thought is a cool idea is one of your personal pet peeves.

(And yes, people who think an idea for a game is dumb because it 'violates' canon or doesn't fit some published material somewhere irk me...the books are there to give us a base to build our own stories on, not to limit those ideas and imaginations.)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 13 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #25

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (brennanhawkwood @ Apr 12 2006, 07:23 PM)
(And yes, people who think an idea for a game is dumb because it 'violates' canon or doesn't fit some published material somewhere irk me...the books are there to give us  a base to build our own stories on, not to limit those ideas and imaginations.)

Some of us just get irked not because it violates canon but the whole point of calling them Horrors. Space may have advantages to fighting the Horrors, but the isolation and vast emptiness could work for them as they slowly devour the colonies one habitat at a time.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.