Reply to this topicStart new topic
> a couple of questions, hidden gun arm slide; smargun functions
captainwhizz
post Apr 12 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,449

ok, first of all- should the hidden gun arm slide have some sort of concealability modifier? Otherwise I'm just going to assume it's the same modifier as a concealable holster.

if a character's smartgun is linked to something external to their body, such as glasses or goggles, I presume that they can't perform actions such as ejecting a clip for free?

haven't been able to find the answers in the book
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Waltermandias
post Apr 12 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: Lenexa, Kansas (Yes Kansas, we ain't all hicks y'all.)
Member No.: 8,291

I don't think the arm slide helps with concealability. For balance reasons, it's already good, and I think players should have to choose between badass and sneaky. For practical reasons, I imagine the mechanism that shoots it into your hand negates the sneakiness of having the gun kind of hidden (i.e. I imagine you can see the somewhat bulky slides and other bits.)

As for the smartgun, I'm pretty sure you can do the fancy things if you have a trode or nanopaste trodes that provide a DNI. If you just have goggles I would agree that you only get the +2 bonus.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 12 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Can't you just add the Smartgun to your PAN and issue commands via your comlink? If it's implanted (the Comlink) is DNI, trode, datajack or verbal?

+Quote Post
Mauler
post Apr 12 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,120

My personal understandings of the rules are:
1) Concealibility: Nope. Doesn't help at all. Not any better than stuffing it away elsewhere under your jacket.
2) If it's a smartgun and it's linked, wireless or in any other way, you get the smartgun bonus. For "thinking the command" you need a DNI. Of course, even without the DNI, you might get what you need with a free action (for example speaking a command word), but in some situations that might not be possible.
At least that's my take on it.

+Quote Post
captainwhizz
post Apr 12 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #5

Target

ok, so you need a pretty small gun then. which is ok, I was thinking Light Pistol under a Lined Coat.

yeah, I was thinking on a character with essence 6. I hadn't thought of verbal commands, that sounds good. or even- some sort of wink/ blink that the glasses pick up could be the command to eject the clip or change modes.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 12 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

A verbal command would take more time and effort than thumbing a magazine release lever or button on most serious defense handguns. Hell, a whole lot of the "free action" examples in SR3 and SR4 take a lot more time than thumbing a magazine release would take. Thus no decision either way can reasonably be justified with real world logic.

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Apr 13 2006, 02:34 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Forget real world logic. Speak and Gesture are both free actions in game - if your commlink has been specially programmed for it (and you're the first person whose suggested this that I've heard of in 12 years of playing this game) then I say more power to you! I'd worry about it being somewhat obvious, but of course if you have to reload you've probably made plenty of noise already :)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 13 2006, 02:57 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

I'm more of a fan of the blinking and retinal tracking myself. We can already do that now, albeit not with the sophistication you'd see in 2070.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 13 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Clyde)
Forget real world logic.

You're still trying to apply a certain logic that is outside of the strict rules into the situation: that the Smart Goggles or linked equipment allows you to release the magazine of the firearm in some way other than what a non-smartlinked user would do. You're also reasoning that any particular Speak or Gesture action are in fact Free even when they have an effect covered elsewhere in the rules -- this is clearly false, since such minor Gestures as "Move Your Thumb Slightly (to release a magazine from a handgun)" are Simple Actions.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Apr 13 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Of course, moving your trigger finger is a simple action. Think of the firepower increase if we made a weapon that was fired by moving the thumb and not the trigger finger!

:rotfl:

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 13 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

If a player wanted to just fire a weapon he is already holding at the ready, not caring at all where the shot lands, I'd say that's clearly a Free Action. (Of course, that's also applying logic to the situation, but then I rather do that consistently throughout the rules.)

+Quote Post
captainwhizz
post Apr 13 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #12

Target

I might start to use retinal tracking or blinks/ winks then.

different combinations could be used to cycle through weapon firing modes, imaging modes, clip release, etc. sounds pretty cool.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 13 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I still find it amusing that there was no size limited listed for the gun slide. Effectively you can have heavy pistols popping out of your coat sleeves. Very 'Desperado'. Guns that wouldn't even fit in a sleeve flying out of one.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 13 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

For you ninjas out there, consider loading shuriken in your arm slides.

For you facemen looking for an out when a con goes south, I recommend flashpacks.

For you munchkins, I recommend hand grenades.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 13 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 98

For you crazies, I recommend Roomsweepers :)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 13 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

With no size limitation listed, should the munchkins be loading Steel Lynxes?

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 13 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

QUOTE (James McMurray)
With no size limitation listed, should the munchkins be loading Steel Lynxes?

Banshees?

Arcologies?

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Apr 13 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Didn't the rules say 'pistol-sized' ?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 13 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Those aren't cost effective.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 13 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Fie on cost-effectiveness! I'm looking for frontloaded damage. I just need to make sure I get paid enough to cover the cost of the ammo, plus a little extra.

Anyone know the dollar value of a Thor shot?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 13 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 13 2006, 11:49 AM)
Those aren't cost effective.

I think they would be... imagine it, you could sneak into an enemy arms depot, grin evilly, snap out your forearm-mounted Banshee, and level all of their vehicles and tanks without them even having a chance to turn over their ignitions. Cost, at maximum, one Banshee and pilot.

Although it'd probably take at least a Complex Action, once you'd whipped it out, to climb in and close the canopy before you could start it up and start shooting.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 13 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Yeah, but you can't start with one without also having a munchkin GM, in which case you'll need that arcology in your pocket just to survive getting a can of soda from the fridge.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 13 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Great so since the crash we not only have wireless matrix, but they've also invented pocket dimensions so you can store your banshees 'up your sleeves'? I'm surprised no one has mentioned the giant hammers wielded by little cute girls like the old anime cliche.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 13 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

It's a side effect of the technology that allows infinite data storage in your underwear.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 13 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Well, considering one is constantly producing sperm (supposedly, but only if you're male, but we're going to be using males in this example...), then yes, the constant production of sperm and the packets of information in each one (sperm that is)... then yes, the underwear does qualify as a data storage device...

edit: ;-)

second edit: Sorry, I blame work, when a person says something, i.e. claiming an invention. I will see if I can come up with the broadest interpretation of it. Plus, I'm feeling a little mischievous this afternoon, must be because it's almost quitting time. :D

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.