> GREM - rifle grenade, for entry purposes
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 14 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,327

GREM

I just saw this and thought it'd be neat to share. Something interesting for door breaching in case your shadowrun has to be noisy...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 14 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Though it's mostly useful for the military because it allows infantry to breach doors from a distance, and thus minimize exposure to enemy fire, I suppose it might also be useful in scenarios more likely in normal SR games. Since it apparently requires no adapter, it should be a fairly quick operation to ready and fire one, and at 0.68kg it's a lot lighter than a door ram. The lack of fragmentation and limited blast radius is nice for the more squemish PCs, but it also means you won't be breaching any security doors with these.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 14 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 98

Knew a CP2020 character once who kept a 25mm HEDP (essentially shaped charge) grenade in an underbarrel mount on his 12mm SMG for opening doors and making the occasional cyborg consider his own mortality for a minute. If you wanted to simulate this in SR, a grenade profile along the lines of one of the AV missiles would probably be in order...

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 14 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

That's like a very crude pick-lock: you blow a hole in the door, reach in and open the it. I guess the point of the GREM is more to "shove" the door, so you immediately gain entry, and also to have a very limited anti-personnel effect through the door.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 14 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

That's what it looks like, it's made to take out the whole door and not just make a hole.

Austere, I know what you mean, but if you don't want any finesse and you're right it's lightweight compared to a large ram, or carry an additional shotgun (with the breaching rounds), you can just default to your carbine/rifle. I agree, about the security doors, though I am curious as to the upper limit that the grenade can breach.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 14 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Well, the product information PDF says it can breach "a multitude of door
materials, including steel", but I guess what it would usually come down to is the locking mechanism and the hinges. Even a light, sheet metal covered door, or a thick, solid wooden one might well withstand one of these if it had sturdy metal hinges and a heavy duty locking mechanism with several latches -- the charge might blow a large hole through the door, but the rest of the door would still be there.

Or, to put another way, it should work wonders on any door that a door ram would work on.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Apr 14 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

did you see how far the rest of the group was when they blew the door? you are going to give your enemy a few seconds to get ready in the very least. Isn't that usually a bad idea? If you are not worried about the enemy knowing you are coming, just use a grenade.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 14 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I don't know about for real-life use, but I see a primary usefulness of this for Shadowrunners to be quick door-breaching while making an exit under fire—nail the door at a distance, and the larger debris will have settled by the time you need to sprint through without tripping on anything.

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 14 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #9

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

A well placed Blast Barrier could work well with it, too. Couldn't equivalent munitions be fired from SR under barrel grenade launchers?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 14 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Platinum)
did you see how far the rest of the group was when they blew the door? you are going to give your enemy a few seconds to get ready in the very least.

The squad could be much closer, right behind the closest corner, or some 10 meters away in the open, ready to sprint in. Whenever you are blasting yourself an entrance the people inside have a few seconds, but this particular weapon should give them relatively little time because the design of the warhead allows the assaulters to be pretty close in. All breaching options which allow immediate entry also require you to fiddle with the breaching equipment right in front of the door, which might not be healthy for a number of reasons.

QUOTE (Platinum)
If you are not worried about the enemy knowing you are coming, just use a grenade.

Huh? They are using grenades.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
A well placed Blast Barrier could work well with it, too.

That shouldn't be necessary for most applications in SR, since SR blast radii for non-fragmentation HE weapons are so pitifully small. In SR3, a weapon like this could be called something like 12S, -4/m -- enough to blow open an Average Materials door or open a 1-meter hole in a brick veneer. Of course, a Blast Barrier can still be very useful in all kinds of demolitions.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 15 2006, 03:49 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I don't know about for real-life use, but I see a primary usefulness of this for Shadowrunners to be quick door-breaching while making an exit under fire—nail the door at a distance, and the larger debris will have settled by the time you need to sprint through without tripping on anything.

~J

Yeah I was thinking that too. The T2 method of opening doors...or walls. Though in-game the grem seems a little bulky to be carting around.

Course, the troll with the assault cannon wouldn't need it :)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 15 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

As breaching weapons go, this still doesn't beat a good old-fashioned tank. Just ram a wall untill it gives, back out, and the team goes in through the giant hole. Everyon eexpects an atack team to come in through the doors or the windows. Few expect an atack team to come in through a solid wall so it works pretty well for surprise, too. There is just the small problem of accidently choosing a load-bearing wall to crash through.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 15 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 98

Tanks work great until someone inside the building goes "oh shit, a tank" and pops it at point blank with an AT weapon. Nothing like having to rescue your fire team AND vehicle crew from right up against the side of an enemy-occupied building.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 15 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Firing a hole in a wall, with one of these for example, is a better idea than ramming it. Or, if you don't have tanks handy, one or two of these.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 15 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

"obstacle reduced" thats funny :) Though that damage of one of those puppies, rather scares me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:20 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.