Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Apr 17 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,398

And soon afterwards, we'll get rigging, too. We already have the control cyber, now we just need the sensory stuff.

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Apr 17 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,188

This kinda startles me - I was just listening to an article on how this is being experimented on using rabbits. I'm stunned to see that it's being done in humans already.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Apr 18 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Oh hell yeah. Once these become more like SR-style, with IR and rangefinder/targeting, I'm SO in the doc's office! (does monumentally bad Rocky impression: "Cut me, mick, cut me!")

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Apr 19 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Start saving, because you'll certainly live to see it (if current progress trends can be encouraged to continue, which requires luck and wisdom). Pushing associated R&D through consumer power will speed its development as well.

+Quote Post
Dale
post Apr 19 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

I figure in 20 years we could get an actual pair of cybereyes for $20,000.

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Apr 19 2006, 03:42 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

With the way nanotech and regenerative medicine is going, cyber may go the way of the Dodo before it even gets here.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Apr 19 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #8

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

If you're talking about "cyberware" as merely medical answers to disabilities and the like, then possibly. But even then, I doubt it.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Apr 19 2006, 05:55 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

they're already here
scientists predict 10 years before usable resolution is achieved

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Apr 19 2006, 06:31 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

Is there another source for this story to verify it?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Apr 19 2006, 06:57 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

There are numberous sources about the doctor (William Dobelle, who died in 2004) describing him working on 'artificial vision research' and a few sources mentioning partial restoration of sight in blind volunteers.

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Apr 20 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kyuhan)
With the way nanotech and regenerative medicine is going, cyber may go the way of the Dodo before it even gets here.

This will only occur if we proactively continue to foster a society of progress and advancement. If we piss away our resources too quickly (and not find replacements fast enough), we might not make it.

The real trick is to make sure to not spend your money foolishly, on wasteful products, but to spend it wisely (or save it if there's nothing to spend wisely on)

Basically, purchasing products that requite similar R&D to produce will speed this type of progress.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 20 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #13

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Err... What? The only thing I read that has relevance to the line quoted is that we should buy stuff based on similar R&D. Can you rephrase?

+Quote Post
Chrome Shadow
post Apr 21 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,205

I have see photos of one of the volunteers o this project. The cables that go from the computer to the skull look just like they do in Shadowrun, but very ordinary. They really are like 2 or 3 cables strapped together. It looks very similar to a datajack... Exactly like one...

The Story appear in the cover (and inside) of a mexican magazine called Muy Interesante (Very Interesting). Sorry I can't scann it...

+Quote Post
cx2
post Apr 22 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,802

Just don't expect blind people to disappear, even if these were made available to everyone.

People born blind aren't comfortable with the concept of being able to see most of the time, they're used to being blind and they don't want to change it. There's quite some fear in the blind community that governments will force blind people to take these and cut off their benefits.

My personal fear is lack of understanding. I've been blind for a (very) few years now, due to messed up optic nerves (leber's optic atrophy to be exact). There would be nothing usable to connect eye replacements to in my case. I'm worried that if these things come about people won't accept why I can't have one. I already have enough trouble explaining why I don't have a guide dog (only a couple thousand here in the UK, probably similar numbers elsewhere. They seem more because they're so obvious, but they're not suitable for everyone by a long shot).

On the other hand, if I could use them I'd only go for them if they had thermo ;)
I've got set in my ways... and I'm only 22 at that.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 22 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #16

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

cx2, they don't interface with the optic nerve. As I understand it, they're directly stimulating the portions of the brain that interpret visual imput.

And would you take ones with an imagelink, if they lacked thermo?

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Apr 22 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

If you're blind, how are you reading these forums? :huh:

Also, I'll point out that as long as the visual portion of your brain is intact, this stuff will work.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 22 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #18

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (nick012000)
If you're blind, how are you reading these forums? :huh:

That's actually possible... the page gets read to you, using some special software.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 22 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #19

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Wonder how it handles forums?

+Quote Post
Aku
post Apr 22 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #20

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

its also possible to be "legally blind" and still be able to see withthick ass glasses. Thanks to some harsh astigmatism, i feel like i am every morning i wake up before i put my contacts in.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 22 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

What does the software read? It would suck if it read "Running Target Linebreak Group: members."

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Apr 22 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #22

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (cx2)
There's quite some fear in the blind community that governments will force blind people to take these and cut off their benefits.

No offense intended, but do you really mean to tell me that those people would rather be blind and receive a monthly stipend, than be able to see the world around them?

Windows has a program that will read text to you. It's not the greatest, but if any of you are inclined to mess around with it, just go to Start>speech.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Apr 22 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #23

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

i think the fear would be to see shittily, and not get the payments... then again, i also think cx as talking about people born blind, and in that case, i can see it being a "scary" propisistion for them.

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Apr 24 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Oracle)
Is there another source for this story to verify it?

See, I knew that the story I heard was with regards to animals (it was rats, not rabbits)

Here is a podcast with a discussion with the researcher. He thinks there will be human trials in 2 years (the interview with him starts at minute 22ish). ScienceFriday

The device connects to a 'lower' level of optic cells, cells that are often not ruined during eye degeneration.

Here is a summary page on his project. At the bottom there is a picture that describes how the device works. Clink to Link

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Apr 24 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

There were a few articles in journals from a year or so ago, where someone who lost his site, gained some of it back with an 81 pixel camera which fed into his cortex. there is a picture of him doing a burnout in a mustang. (and he was able to make out a few faces even with such a low resolution) I cannot find the link for the life of me. In order for this procedure to work, the patient must have been able to see before.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.