Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mounts on a taser?, Is this possible?
FanGirl
post Apr 17 2006, 04:48 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,438

I'm considering getting a Yamaha Pulsar; I have a thing against unnecessary death and the AVS I was previously planning on getting sounds like it deals that out in spades. Unconsiousness and/or paralysis is very much preferable to my mind, and it seems quite easy to cause both with a taser.

But I must ask: can I put mounts on my taser? P. 302 says that pistols--including machine pistols--have top and barrel mounts, and p. 306 says that the Pistols skill is used when firing a taser, but I can't find any confirmation that tasers can or cannot have mounts. If you help me out and give me a definite answer, I will love you forever (in the most strictly platonic way).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 17 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

Wouldn't see why not, but I can't imagine there's all that many mods you'd want, aside from a SL or a vision mod. I figure they're already silent and I can't imagine a taser, of all things, as having any recoil that's worth mentioning, not that you could install a gas vent.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Apr 17 2006, 05:01 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

Reread your post and determined that I had misread it and misanswered it. =) Post removed.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Apr 17 2006, 05:13 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

This is a very good question. While I see no theoretical reason a taser couldn't have mount points, the rules do not say that they DO have mount points. The rules also do not say that they DON'T have mount points. How odd since the rules do weigh-in on every other type of firearm. Sounds like time for your ref to house rule it. =)

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Apr 17 2006, 05:21 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

I'd wager there's no real need, short of a smartlink or a laser sight just so you know for sure what you're about to zap. You know, for those exceptionally poor shot mages. ;) Other than that, I can't imagine any accessory of any kind that would even *need* to be on a taser.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 17 2006, 05:26 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Exactly my point, Jhaiisiin. Ditto for Squirts, Lasers, and dart pistols-rifles. They're not gunpowder based, they don't go supersonic, they don't need silenced. Heck, look at the AR from Cannon, I think. There's one that gets full auto with no recoil on account of the fact that it can only shoot capsule rounds.

I figure that lasers might make SOME noise in the form of crackling beams, or other cliched sci-fi noises. I don't mean cliched in a bad way. Just in a cinematic way.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Apr 17 2006, 07:35 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Just get a Yamaha Suzuki Fubuki and load it with Stick 'n' Shock rounds. You'll deal better damage than the taser will, and you don't have to deal with pesky wires.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 17 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (nick012000)
Just get a Yamaha Suzuki Fubuki and load it with Stick 'n' Shock rounds. You'll deal better damage than the taser will, and you don't have to deal with pesky wires.

Au contraire! I don't necessarily want higher damage because that's more likely to kill someone. In addition, the Suzuki Fubuki is a 10R item costing 2,000 nuyen, while Stick-And-Shock rounds are 5R items costing 80 nuyen a set. It's so much easier and cheaper to acquire, carry, and load a Pulsar: the weapon itself is available on the open market for 150 nuyen, and taser darts have an availability of 2 and cost only 50 nuyen. Finally, the nice thing about Pulsars is that they use capacitor darts, which means no wires! :D

+Quote Post
GingerbreadMan
post Apr 17 2006, 02:48 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 7,907

Some of Today's modern Tasers are equipped with a laser dot scope, I don't see why that wouldn't be possible in the future. (why anyone needs a laser on a weapon with an effective range of about 10 yards, I can only hope it is to act as a deterrent). Silly police

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 17 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (GingerbreadMan)
why anyone needs a laser on a weapon with an effective range of about 10 yards

+1 modifier! :D

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Apr 17 2006, 03:06 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (FanGirl)
QUOTE (GingerbreadMan @ Apr 17 2006, 09:48 AM)
why anyone needs a laser on a weapon with an effective range of about 10 yards

+1 modifier! :D

Yeah, I thought that much would be obvious. =)

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Apr 17 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

the taser is a wonderfull weapon, specificly the pulsar as it fires capacitor darts, not wires. its a SA, and you can get an internal smartlink.

the 6S(e) damage is against HALF of your enemy's impact armor (which is lower to start with). and they have to beat threshold 3 on a body+will+armor test or be knocked out.

If my target is a normal human in armored clothing (4/0), and i score 1 net hit, he will on average take 6 stun, and get knocked out for 3 combat turns. a tough guy in an armored jacket (body 5, impact 6), would take about 4S and not be stunned. So the taser is an exceptional weapon for knocking out unarmored or lightly armored normals.

Its a legal weapon, 30 :nuyen: cheaper per shot than stick-n-shock, and you wont get stopped by security for carrying it most places. for straight damage, its more effective than a predator 4. costs the same as EX rounds. 6S -half(impact) vs 6P -2(balistic)?

the only downside of the taser is its range. 20 m isnt very far. that, and the internal magazine of 4 shots. every third pass will be spent reloading.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 17 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Just buy 50 of them and 50 quickdraw holsters. It greatly reduces your need to reload.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 17 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I should mention that I'm playing a TM, and therefore do not expect to frequently get into fire-fights. But the "multiple taser" idea is a good one. Thanks, everyone!

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 17 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Maybe not 50, but having two or three wouldn't be a horrible idea. Futhermore, as a technomancer, you're able to hack stuff on the fly. It'd be incredibly easy to introduce, say, a neurostun cannister to the HVAC system and have it circulate through the building.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Apr 17 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

So....if your a skinlinked Technomancer....and you zap someone with a defiance taser....does that mean you can hack them?

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Apr 17 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

Oooh. Well, I suppose if you use the taser variant with the wires (Pulsar is taser dart) but if you fire your taser again you'll lose your connection. I could see hackers loading a taser with inert tips just to provide the data feed. Or, instead of inert tips, some form of conductive adhesive so you can hit devices and skinlink them.

I generally equip my characters a light pistols and S&S ammo for those uptown meets where you need to have weapon licenses on your fake IDs. A light pistol with non-lethal ammo is easier to talk your way out of than a heavier gun should you have any problems. A firearm is also a bit more intimidating than a taser and the Fichetti 600 gives you a huge amount of ammo (30 rounds) so you won't need reloads.

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 17 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

Gel rounds, definitely gel rounds

+Quote Post
Ankle Biter
post Apr 17 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,353

QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Oooh. Well, I suppose if you use the taser variant with the wires (Pulsar is taser dart) but if you fire your taser again you'll lose your connection. I could see hackers loading a taser with inert tips just to provide the data feed. Or, instead of inert tips, some form of conductive adhesive so you can hit devices and skinlink them.

If you are going to do that load a skinlink and a signal rating one transciever into a hollow bullet, and you got 40m to work with, and the target can't as easily yank the cord. Load them into whatever you want.

If you use a crossbow/bow, you can even blag fitting a rating 2 or 3 transmitter into the arrow, with a skinlink on the tip. Stick somebody in the back with one of these, and until they have legged it to over 100 meters away, their gear is yo bitch...

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Apr 18 2006, 06:37 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (FanGirl)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Apr 17 2006, 02:35 AM)

Au contraire! I don't necessarily want higher damage because that's more likely to kill someone. In addition, the Suzuki Fubuki is a 10R item costing 2,000 nuyen, while Stick-And-Shock rounds are 5R items costing 80 nuyen a set. It's so much easier and cheaper to acquire, carry, and load a Pulsar: the weapon itself is available on the open market for 150 nuyen, and taser darts have an availability of 2 and cost only 50 nuyen. Finally, the nice thing about Pulsars is that they use capacitor darts, which means no wires! :D

Not really. The better damage is just more likely to knock them out. 9S(e) is only marginally more likely to kill someone than 6S(e), though it is much more likely to knock them out. Unless you shoot them twice, in which case the Yamaha Suzuki Fabuki is more likely to kill them, whereas the taser is more likely to knock them out with just a few boxes of P. However, with the Fubuki, you can knock out two people in one pass much more easily.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 18 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 98

She may be approaching it from the same perspective as cops do today, when they choose tasers over rubber bullets... rubber bullets kill people a lot more often (by crushing someone's temple or windpipe, for example) than tasers supposedly do.

Nowhere does it say stick-n-shock or gel rounds aren't fired with enough velocity that if you got unlucky and nailed your target in a sensitive spot, they wouldn't get hurt or killed by it (and nowhere does it say that they ARE, but I'm drawing a real-world-ammo comparison here), which would be a real concern for the person firing the ammunition. Tasers, on the other hand, are generally seen as "safe" by the huge number of users they have, even today.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 18 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Yeah, and I am planning on shooting people twice.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 18 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

It's always a good idea to shoot people twice. Redundancy, and so forth.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 18 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Don't forget that a glitch could conceivably have your nonlethal weapon kill someone. I wouldn't have it happen for a character or situation where it wouldn't matter, but if the job involved no casualties or the runner was a major "I will not kill" type then I might.

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post Apr 20 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

QUOTE (FanGirl)
I should mention that I'm playing a TM, and therefore do not expect to frequently get into fire-fights. But the "multiple taser" idea is a good one. Thanks, everyone!

*Cough*
Fights have a habit of finding shadowrunners.

Some of them are hiding in unexpected places like homeless refuges!

Isn't that right Twitch?!

Beating on a naked ork!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.