IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> similar but opposite to the other poll, what "type" of character so you like to
what type of character do you like to play?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 64
Guests cannot vote 
fool
post Apr 17 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,316

just to see what eople actually play
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 17 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Faces and Hacker-Sam Hybrids are probably my two favorites to play, though I have tried quite a few other types out.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Apr 17 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Hackers.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 17 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Mages kill EVERYTHING.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Apr 17 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

Its good to be a sam. you get guns, armor, and boosted stats and abilities. fast gunfights and kungfu battles, abilities beyond that of mortal men.

sure, an adept can be better than a sam, but only at one thing. the sam is good at a half-dozen things, and can serve a number of different roles on the team. Theres nothing to stop a sam from being a face, a hacker/rigger, or such. The sam is defined not just by his gear, but by his skill as well. And while a true sam will be able to fight very well, he will have other skills.

personaly, i favor backing up my combat skills with some decent hardware skills. plus one rank in a few skills with no default that im gonna need (automotive mechanics, electronic warfare, ect).

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 17 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Mages kill EVERYTHING.

.... Including themselves.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 17 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #7

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

SammiFaceSkillMasters.

Needs a lot of Karma, though ;)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 17 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I never got into rigging or decking. My characters are almost always faces on top of whatever else they do. Sams/adepts are both good, as well as shamans. So far I think I've done an almost equal number of those three (plus riggers, actually).

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 17 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 98

I think my group is skewed... I have a hard time getting people to NOT play Adepts and Mages.

+Quote Post
sandchigger
post Apr 17 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 8,425

Am I missing the poll option for Hackers?

+Quote Post
God45
post Apr 17 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,452

I'm the only person so far to have clicked the Face option - Thats quite worrying, but not suprising considering how few faces I find in games I play in.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Apr 17 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #12

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Then I'm face two...

+Quote Post
Tattered~Seraphi...
post Apr 17 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,412

I've only created two characters so far and only played one (until later today), but so far I've thoroughly enjoyed playing a phys adept stealth asassin bunny that's also a hacker. Weird combo but very handy when you're the best one to go into a tight security facility nd need to do some hacking to get past security stuff, etc.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Apr 17 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #14

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (God45)
I'm the only person so far to have clicked the Face option - Thats quite worrying, but not suprising considering how few faces I find in games I play in.

actually, i dont tihnk its all that uncommon, especially in these days of mmo's, everyone tries to create the "perfect" team, and in most cases, only 1 face is "needed", and a backup really doesnt help ("ahh shit, Jim,i just f;d up with the johnson, you wanna go in and see if you can get a better deal than i got?" doesnt quite work) While many of the other archetypes DO benifit to having a backup

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 18 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

sorry I fragged up the poll...I thought I had the hacker/technomancer type in there.

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 18 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,448

Yay for ape-shaman/face/rigger/hackers! You would not expect it work, but it does. My character is around 40% shaman/30% face/20% rigger/10% hacker, if you want it in numbers. No weaknesses, and he still is a very good spellslinger and a superb face(increased charisma sustained by a bound force 8 spirit - good luck banishing this. :D).
I voted for face, though, since my first idea was a face, then I found out how well this combines with a shaman, especially with an ape, which I wanted to play one of for quite a long time. When I had money left over, I bought some drones, an agent, and some programs... That's it.

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Apr 18 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

UndeadPoet's a one-man Shadowrun team! :)

Yeah, definately goofed up missing Hacker/Decker/Otaku/Technomancer (I'm being SR3 friendly)

Which would have been my pick. They make pretty good riggers too, so I guess I'll let you say hello to my leetle friends. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 18 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,448

I like how a bit of riggery fits(GP-wise ;)) into any character. I mean, you get a really cool spider drone for 1000 nuyen(1/5 GP), and a wider variety for just one single GP. With five GP you have a drone armada with programs and all that fun.

I would understand if he had not included riggers in the poll because of this fact(that no "pure" riggers can't exist anymore), but hackers/technomancers... Yeah, weird. :(

Being a one-man-shadowrun-team is quite cool for everyone in the group, by the way. The gamemaster can keep in realistic(no "there is a maglock... oh, noone in the group can handle that? Okay, the door is just open for no obvious reason.") and the players can play any archetype they want, because we are in no particular need of a certain archetype.
Did I mention they all play streetsams and killer-adepts? :sleepy:

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post Apr 20 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

The humble magic user for me!
:D

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 20 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 98

If the group is so poorly equipped that they don't even have a maglock passkey, much less someone who can actually make an attempt at opening a maglock, there's no way I'm going to have the door be magically open for them :P Maglocks are such a staple piece of terrain that it's kinda ridiculous for that to be the case.

What I might do, though, is have the Johnson make a low-level passkey available to them during the meet... "This dongle should be able to take care of any of the locks you may encounter on-site, but I'm sure you've got someone to take care of any really tricky ones, right?" After a while of occasionally setting off alarms with their low-rating loaner passkeys, I'm sure the group would get sick of it and learn/chip/get-their-own-passkey the issue.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 20 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

How do you handle passkeys? Is it just rating vs. rating, or do you roll rating vs. rating?

+Quote Post
Piecemeal
post Apr 20 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 8,478

i usually do a hybrid. a gunmonkey skillhole with some social. i'd rather leave myself 'capable' in various situations than to be extraordinary in one aspect and hosed everywhere else. i've never been big on caster in any genre, deckers used to need such special attention i avoided them, and the secured away rigger running drones risking only cost of replacement toys never did a thing for me.

right. its a new SR. maybe i'll venture down a new path for a change.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 20 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

My current character is a street sam with rigging skills. A front line combatant with a few drones to back him up. So far it's been a blast, even though the first combat my doberman spent waiting outside a fence, and the second one I went down in a hail of bullets. :)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 21 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...it is a actually somewhat a tossup between Adepts & Skill Masters.

I broaden Adepts to include the total Bio character. (all Bio enhancement) Granted the resource cap does mess with getting to 3 IPs (160,000 for Synaptic boost 2) but it is way more elegant and usually much harder to detect than Wires. The same goes for the traditional magic (or KI, depending on your take) based Adept (can't wait for the martial arts rules to come out again).

Either type can pretty much freely walk through say an airport or Corp HQ scanner and not trip any sensors as long as you are not packing a firearm or metal blade.

For offence: Unarmed combat with Several levels of Bone Density or Improved Critical Strike, and possibly Thrown Weapon skill as well.

For defence: a couple levels of Mystic Armour or Orthoskin underneath an Actioneer business suit. (they also need to bring back Formfit)

BTW, One character type totally missed in this poll is the Deck...er...Hacker. (I still prefer the old term)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.