Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Characther changing...
LynGrey
post Apr 17 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,100

Hey guys, I'm a big lurker around here. But i've noticed a trend in my Characters i have built lately.

I normally started to build gun bunnies of some type witih just enough social skill not to get ripped of by my fixer or arms dealer.

Recently tho, or for the past year, my two main characters have been really socialable type. With my latest being a mage, Inc(ubus) with the mentor spirity Subductress(or) And with the +2 con rolls and first impressions/blandness i took advantage of the opportunity at hand and made him the fast talking/infiltrator wiz. I gave him some hacking programs and a bit of skill, to get threw those nasty locks and security measures that arne't as mundane as that Guy that the Booth. Before that i Made my rigger/decker in 3, and he was a get away driver/counter-rigger who had sauve skills to him and was a good guy at talking his way in and out of things. I've notice my friends lean on this trend too, all the characters i seen played are becoming more and more social, and the rookies are the gun totin gun bunnies i use to play. Is this the norm?

Edit: i didn't even notice that little error, thanks guys, sorry about the confusion
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Apr 17 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (LynGrey)
I've notice my friends lean on this trend too, all the characters i seen played are becoming less and less social, and the rookies are the gun totin gun bunnies i use to play.

Is this really what you wanted to say? :D

That aside, i went the same route myself. It's great fun to fight around for a while, but then it becomes pretty boring not being able to do something else, especially when it's time to do legwork.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 17 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Yeah I'm assuming you meant to say "more and more social".

Yes, I play the same way too. My characters are becoming more and more social, while my earlyier chaarcters were complete gun totting bunnies.

I'm not sure if that has to do with experience roleplaying, or just general maturity as I get older.

+Quote Post
dcpirahna
post Apr 17 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE (Backgammon)
I'm not sure if that has to do with experience roleplaying, or just general maturity as I get older.

I doubt it's age. All the players in my group are 28+ and they're all gun bunnies :)

+Quote Post
LynGrey
post Apr 18 2006, 04:48 AM
Post #5

Target

Well its not so much Maturity, because i've seen alot of older men, 35+ atleast jump in a game and claim to be real experience from back in the 1st ed days, which is what i started in, well the bridge from 1st ed to 2nd ed. I usally just want to walk up and smack them for their characters they build. "I wanna be a troll mage with a Panter Cannon and a Steel Lynx with an LMG, and 12/9 armor with 10+ body" sigh or something of they such... My worst was when an 50 year old man say to play once, and he was like i have female character and i was like cool a guy who's playing a female he's older he shouldn't do the typical guy playing chick trany thing. he was probably the WORST, power SLu7 is not even a word i can use to describe his character.

Either way, Role playing maturity has little too, because i've been role playing since i was around 8 years old and didn't get into SR till around 12-13 or so. And i don't do this trend in my other games i play in.

I guess i'm curious if its because of the system/fluff/world of the game that makes it more fun to be social, or is it just like me evolving as a player.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 18 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

This is one of the few games in which who you know matters, so I think it's the nature of the game.

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Apr 18 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

Emo hit it on the nail...
Those who tend to play wacko gun-bunny (I'm going to walk downtown with my AK strapped to my back) tend to be:
a) into cyberpunk/D&D games were walking around with obvious weapons doesn't get you arrested.
b) New gamers who haven't spent much time in the SR universe.

I try to stress to my players that the future isn't completely anarchic, that there are laws to follow, so you have to learn to be discreet.
Who you know can get you a lot of information so you don't run into situations blind and end up fighting your way in and out.

It's called Shadowrun because most cases involve you being a shadow: in and out with little to no notice you were even there. The next place you hit might be in a triple A rated security sector and you don't want to be fighting the corp and the Star to get your arse out.

Note: See Emo and I can agree on somethings ;)

+Quote Post
Piecemeal
post Apr 18 2006, 07:52 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,478

*shudder* i never EVER walked around with obvious trade tools in open view in Cyperpunk. fastest way to make yerself zeroed is to be percieved as the biggest threat.

walk softly and carry a concealable flask of whoopass.

as to the bend towards the social graces... once you reach the point where you no longer see subbing a, perhaps, tertiary combat skill for a social skill or two as a 'sacrifice', yer all good and on the right track for further player development. it's not a trend. it's evolution.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 18 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 98

CP2020 was an interesting balance of projecting threat and concealing power. If you were walking down the block with nothing but a leather jacket and a pair of mirrorshades to show for yourself, you were *more* likely to get in a dustup than you were if you had a Minami-10 slung on your hip, because a bunch of punkass gangers who didn't know any better might assume you were easy meat... and if you think SR4 is lethal, CP could be a lot worse.

On the other hand, walking down that street in a full suit of MetalGear with a Ronin slung over your shoulder and a bandolier of grenades basically screamed "Solo, hit me with the sniper rifle first." Not the best way to be useful if your crew gets ambushed.

There's parts of the SR world where it's the exact same way. However, most of your "typical" shadowrunners don't want to spend a lot of time there when they're working... there's no money in the Barrens.

+Quote Post
LynGrey
post Apr 19 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #10

Target

Yeah i think i've fired around 3-4 gel rounds in the past year of SR missions and runs with my firends. i think the total amount of shots fired in the group have been aorund 10 or so. With the exlusion of my heavy muntions guy i play every now and then... Nothign like dropping a HMG and chucking a few grenades and getting t hru the high secruity door with 10 kilos of compond explosives =)

Altho we tend to find ways to get rid of people in the most normal way. We broadsided the Marks Limo with our Bulldog off the top layer of I-5 =) oops =)

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 19 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,448

QUOTE (Piecemeal)
it's not a trend.  it's evolution.

Although I feel horrifying arrogant doing so(seeing my whole group consisting of combat sams/adepts, except myself), I agree wholeheartedly.
But it rocks to be a face. I get my 10-20% discount on everything. Lifestyle, agents, programs, spell formulas - just fucking everything.
And, the biggest plus: You are. A face. Which owns. Just. For its. Own sake.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 19 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I recently had a very interesting break in the "new players are gun bunnies" trend. I had a new player who was a pure SR "virgin" but was an old-school D&D player, so I was expecting the "typical" weapon toting kind of "adventurer" that most D&D "ports" make. However, the character he made was a Social Adept who specialized in running away. I was shocked. His whole character concept was to literally outrun the opposition. When he was done I strongly recommended that he take some sort of gun skill. He took Pistols at 2, bought a Colt Manhunter LP, and said, "He'll use it only as a last resort..."

It was quite refreshing.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 19 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Just wait into all the sourcebooks come out. The run-away build will be much more viable as a Ghoul, Night-One, Satyr-legged, follower of Horse.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 19 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (mdynna)
I recently had a very interesting break in the "new players are gun bunnies" trend. I had a new player who was a pure SR "virgin" but was an old-school D&D player, so I was expecting the "typical" weapon toting kind of "adventurer" that most D&D "ports" make. However, the character he made was a Social Adept who specialized in running away. I was shocked. His whole character concept was to literally outrun the opposition. When he was done I strongly recommended that he take some sort of gun skill. He took Pistols at 2, bought a Colt Manhunter LP, and said, "He'll use it only as a last resort..."

It was quite refreshing.

I kind of like this idea. A sprinter social adept could be really useful, especially if he was good at taunting :P

+Quote Post
Akimbo
post Apr 20 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,844

Our new players always tend to play cybered up hack and slash style characters, while my character has the same inner struggles and emotional handicaps thus leading to a lot more role playing and less of the roll playing. The cybered newbie freaks still steal the show, though. Man, I hate being an experienced role player.

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 20 2006, 07:00 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,448

QUOTE (Akimbo @ Apr 20 2006, 12:09 AM)
The cybered newbie freaks still steal the show, though.  Man, I hate being an experienced role player.

If you are also an experienced shadowrun player, just feel free to use your knowledge to help you in building your character.
It's the same with me in my group, but I simply made use of my knowledge of faces combining good with shamans. Et voila: The all-manipulating ape shaman was born.
Do not hesitate "abusing" a bit. I "abused" so far that now I am equal in direct combat with the gunbunnies, but also have my social skills, a bit of high-tech and, of course, magic.
This way, you do not feel like "I can't do anything!" in close combat, but you also prevent questions like "Wow, how did you get so strong?". Because they play gunbunnies(and are gunbunnies at heart themselves!), they won't care about your social skills etc.("etc." including all non-combat activities).

@"Running-man-idea": Use a spirit of men, let it cast its movement-power on you. With force 8 you outrun any normal ground vehicle, but 3-4 usually is enough to get those nasty followers off.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 20 2006, 07:14 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

Well, new players _should_ steal the show at first. They're new. Giving them that extra bit of spotlight time when they're just starting out is more likely to keep them hooked. And with time, they might create more well-rounded characters. It's just that new people go for those kinds of characters because they've got a good soak pool and can better survive a Grand Fuckup. Better so than, say, the Body Two Face with armored clothing.

And UP makes a pretty good point about the 'abusing' bit. You don't have to be The Ender Of Worlds or anything, but you're certainly allowed to be competent in combat areas _and_ have a darn good background.

Or maybe you can't, and doing so would invoke the coming of the Horrors. And then it'll all be your fault. Damn you for trying to create a character who is good at combat with an interesting background!

+Quote Post
Piecemeal
post Apr 20 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 8,478

CP2020 was an interesting balance of projecting threat and concealing power. If you were walking down the block with nothing but a leather jacket and a pair of mirrorshades to show for yourself, you were *more* likely to get in a dustup than you were if you had a Minami-10 slung on your hip, because a bunch of punkass gangers who didn't know any better might assume you were easy meat... and if you think SR4 is lethal, CP could be a lot worse.

hahaha INDEED. as it happened my most favoritest Solo got cacked in a 'random' encounter with gangers juuuuust outside the club designated as the post op meet point. i was discreet geared for the social setting, thus the 'easy mark'. while my combat ability far exceeded theirs, i miraculously lost Initiative (Sandi boost didnt have time to rev) and i believe i flubbed the hell out of an attack... got shot.. bled to death before Trauma Team could arrive.

Scarecrow. let the deathbird ride. yeah. i rode alright. right off into the sunset, never to pull the trigger again. kills me on the inside too. the GM personally asked me to sit in with his players party in that scenario knowing his players would have to look up COVERT in the dictionary before they'd be able to produce any ability at it. initial Snatch n Vanish and they toted LMG calibre toys... not a suppressor among them. sigh. saved the parties ass... TWICE... and got them a full on rival corp extration and future job hookups. i get zeroed for the effort.

the GM didnt have to pit me in a random encounter, but... cp2020 WAS that lethal.

sorry for the rhetorical rant. a decade ago and i cant let it go. issues much?...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.