IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> yeah yeah I'm doing lots of polls, I like to know, What meta tyopes do you like to play?
What meta type do you play most often-
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 77
Guests cannot vote 
fool
post Apr 17 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,316

Just wondering what people actually play as characters.
I run in 3 campaigns and have active pc's of each metatype
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 17 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

For some reason I have trouble identifying myself to any metahumans. All my character concepts end uo being human.

Not that I have that problem when making NPCs. Just when I make PCs.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Apr 17 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #3

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Wow I'm the first elf vote, I just like the ears, and the pretty hair...
WHAT!

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Apr 17 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

I like orcs. you get this big bruiser, and even if hes been sick, hes still as stong as a human, and tougher to boot. Its easy to hit 20 soak dice, and strong enough to carry all the gear you need.

as for the lower logic, theres always cultured bioware to make your brain-meats a bit smarter. and how many builds with that much body and strength need a high charisma?

the orc language Or'Zet, the orc underground, orkspoitation... lots of fun angles to play off of.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 17 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

Orks are the new elves. Partially because I always thought that the orc in traditional fantasy was direly underrepresented. Elves and dwarves are typically the Masters of Their Crafts and so forth. They've got this sort of nimbus of artifical awesomeness that kind of detracts from reality. Like you can't have an elf that's just some guy working a 9 to 5 and going home to a microwavable burrito and a rented DVD.

I like orks because while they're going to cap out faster than humans in intelligence, they're still smart enough to know what's going on, plus getting just a little bit of extra mass to deal with the day to day. They're the John Everymen in action films that happen to just be regular guys who have to kick ass to get things done.

Plus, elves are overdone and I hate being short.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 18 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

I had to go with everything. It all really depends on the character concept.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Apr 18 2006, 08:29 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Dwarves.

I just like these little guys, especially when they beat up the hulking trolls or cast down those untrustworthy elves.

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 18 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,448

I go with humans, only.

+Quote Post
sadistic fixer
post Apr 18 2006, 02:32 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,440

I play elves most of the time as a pc

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 18 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (James McMurray)
I had to go with everything. It all really depends on the character concept.

Seconded.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Backgammon)
For some reason I have trouble identifying myself to any metahumans. All my character concepts end uo being human.

Not that I have that problem when making NPCs. Just when I make PCs.

Same here. This isn't just a SR thing either. Perhaps it is also a mixture of humans usually being the more open ended race in a game?

I do play non-humans occationally. It is just the exception rather than the rule, and all my most memorable and treasured PCs are human.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 18 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

All the races are open ended. They have areas they excel in, but no races, especially in SR4, are incapable of performing a specific archetype's duties.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 18 2006, 11:03 AM)
All the races are open ended. They have areas they excel in, but no races, especially in SR4, are incapable of performing a specific archetype's duties.

The extra Edge is the type of open ended I'm talking about. In D&D 3e it is the extra Feat and Skill points. In prior versions of AD&D it was all manner of baggage that came with the other races, and the ability of humans to multiclass nearly anything and to dual class at all.

The races all have things they excel in, except humans. They tend to be more the even. More the everyman. More the "normal". I think because the rules tend to be written from a human centric point of view, if not explicitly stated that the game world is human centric. Which shouldn't be too surprising since, to my knowledge, very few elves are employeed in the designing and writing of RPGs. The ones that are deep in the closet or off busy with diceless LARP systems centered around Toilkienesque uber tree-huggers and fuzzy, cute belthigh servant races. ;)

+Quote Post
Prynniam
post Apr 19 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,465

This is most interesting. the group I run with mostly makes metahuman.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 19 2006, 03:49 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Elves. They have 2 extra drain dice by default.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 19 2006, 03:52 AM
Post #16

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...pretty much academic in my case.

The plain ol' human all the way.

I'd rather allocate BPs to things like skills & contacts (you never can have "too good" a relationship with your contacts).

But, you know this already...

+Quote Post
Waltermandias
post Apr 19 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

From: Lenexa, Kansas (Yes Kansas, we ain't all hicks y'all.)
Member No.: 8,291

I really like Orcs. Probably because of the whole underground, oppressed race getting to fight against the Man kind of thing. On a related and undoubtably unnecessarily inflammatory note, I wonder how many people play Orcs to get to explore certain racial themes without feeling awkward about it.

Hear me out. I'm sure we can all agree that Orcs are supposed to be, to a greater or lesser degree, an analog for African American's situation in society. Orcs are a large minority with a distinct culture who are generally forced (by circumstances and discrimination) into inner-city ghettos. If any further evidence of a connection is required see the Orxploitation movement.

This makes me wonder how often Orcs are played as a way for us white boys to play a black character without worrying that we are being derogatory, or disrespectful, or are a poser, etc.

Granted, I imagine a lot of folks play Orcs because they are absolutely badass, or because they just like the image and don't think at all about the racial implication, but I am very curious how much my own fondness of orcs is related to the racial image. Moreover, I really have to wonder how comfortable I would be playing a black character in a more "real world" game, like World of Darkness or such.

Something to think about I guess.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 19 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Humanis Unite!!!

I kid, I kid. :-P

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 19 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #19

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I will say, I like that the SR universe allows us to explore racial issues without offending anyone directly, as there are no real orks or trolls to get offended. Hmmm, dwarves are pushing it, but it's not really the same thing.
Hehe, I just had a thought. There are still real-world dwarfs in SR, right? Or does that genetic trait necessarily result in a 6th world dwarf? Imagine the confusion: "I'm not a dwarf, I'm a dwarf!"

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 19 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #20

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I can't imagine real dwarfism would have just disappeared. That would rather suck, to have all the penalties for being a dwarf, plus no IR vision.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 19 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

QUOTE (Waltermandias)
I really like Orcs. Probably because of the whole underground, oppressed race getting to fight against the Man kind of thing.

[snip]

Granted, I imagine a lot of folks play Orcs because they are absolutely badass, or because they just like the image and don't think at all about the racial implication, but I am very curious how much my own fondness of orcs is related to the racial image. Moreover, I really have to wonder how comfortable I would be playing a black character in a more "real world" game, like World of Darkness or such.

Something to think about I guess.

I play either orks or humans. There was no option to choose more than one...

I quoted Waltermandias' post because most everyone that posted a reason for playing a metatype, posted a mechanic reason. I play orks because they're different. There is a bias against them not because they're big and dumb, but because they kinda look like the big, dumb ones. They have an underground society, and are pretty darn interesting.

I wish more people played characters because they were interesting, and not because of the extra dice or stat bonuses...

+Quote Post
Piecemeal
post Apr 19 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 8,478

Human, for similar reason previously stated: ease of sliding into a cultural POV. it certainly isnt the best race for all occasions, but what is? each race has definate merit and i am not bias against any of them... okay.. perhaps dwarves. i too have an aversion to shortness.

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post Apr 20 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

I play Trolls. Whether that be as a Sam, Mage or Hacker, or even Face, I will play a Troll.
So much so that i'm know around my city as Troll.
It's not just cos i'm Big Dumb and Ugly.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Apr 20 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

My own favorite seems to be elves, as that's the last couple of characters I've played. In reality though, it changes based on the concept. My most favorite character however was an elf in 3rd ed named Highborne. He was an arrogant, self-confident, albino mage, and a native of the Tir. By the end of that game, he (along with his teammates) had reached amazing levels of ability and prowess. He very much knew he was a badass and had no problems telling even high level initiates where to stick it. (this tended to get him into trouble sometimes, particularly with our boss... hehe)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 20 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #25

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

About the only non human meta I have played in the past have been dwarves. Since I tend towards techno vs awakened types, they work really well.

Though... I am curious about designing a Dwarf Adept.

man that little bugger is fast...!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.