IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ally Spirits, Just how friendly/useful can they be?
TimeKeeper
post Oct 9 2003, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 149

:walks into forum. Pulls out a can that doesn't have a lable:

So I'm writin' this story... It's on Strobe's site but I won't advertise where that is...

:Pulls out a can opener:

Anyway, I did a search on Alley Spirits and found something...

:Starts opening can. Slowly. All the while pacing the room:

Or rather, didn't find something.
See, on the old forums, a bunch of us had this disscustion about just what a mage (or shaman) can and can't do with his/her ally spirit.

Eventually (or maybe it was even the original question posted) but it came about to sex.

:TK trips, spilling the contents of the can. Worms fly everywhere.:

Anyway, one of the characters has an ally spirit that he has a very close relationship with. He wants her to be human and he even plans on setting her free. I know that there is a canon source that a free spirit has fallen in love with a human, but what about in this case?

If this sound muddled, let me know, I'll try and clear it up some.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Munchkinslayer
post Oct 9 2003, 10:22 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,702

Didn't the first Shadowrun novel (can't remember the name, it was a trilogy) briefly have a fella with a familiar "girlfriend"? Anybody? Or should I lay down the crack pipe?

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Oct 9 2003, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Nahhh... just pass it over here for a bit.
Recall what the triliogy was named?

+Quote Post
Munchkinslayer
post Oct 9 2003, 11:19 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Written by Robert Charrette. I think one of the books is called "find your own truth" and another is called "never trust an elf."

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Oct 9 2003, 12:06 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

The Secrets of Power trilogy, "Never Deal with a Dragon", "Choose Your Enemies Carefully", and "Find Your Own Truth". I can't remember much about Secrets of Power, but one of the adventures (I think it was an adventure in one of the "compilation" adventures like Shadows of the Underworld) has a free spirit that falls in love with the mage who summoned him.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 9 2003, 07:40 PM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

I remember the book, but the title eludes me at present. However, it wasn't an ally, it was a Free spirit Anima who had developed an affection for a mage.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Oct 9 2003, 09:00 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

2XS

If the one you're thinking of got flattened by a couple of bug spirits, anyway.

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Oct 9 2003, 09:01 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Yes, that was the canon source I reffered too.
Before I go any further, how do I do that little spoiler thingy?

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Oct 9 2003, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 9 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #10

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
2XS

If the one you're thinking of got flattened by a couple of bug spirits, anyway.

Speaking of bugs, Bug City mentions a Mantis Mother that falls in love with a human.

Silly Mantis, humans are for dinner. @,@

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Oct 9 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Silly Mantis, humans are for dinner. @,@

HA!

+Quote Post
ialdabaoth
post Oct 9 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,692

An interesting bit of munchkinism to watch out for:

A free Ally Spirit is a MUCH more powerful being than a bound Ally spirit. One, it gets Spirit Energy. Two, it gets access to new powers that it normally wouldn't. Three, it can cast Sorcery with NO DRAIN.

Think about all that for a moment.

+Quote Post
Senchae
post Oct 9 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,638

But it's really only munchkinny if the GM allows it to be. The ally doesn't have to stay with the magician once freed.

+Quote Post
Friggas Ring
post Oct 10 2003, 02:08 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 5,013

Y'know, I've heard several stories about a magician dating a free spirit, but I've never heard of a magician breaking up with a free spirit. *grin*

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Oct 10 2003, 07:22 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Yeah, well Johnner's kinda dense so you might see it happen in my universe (not this story but perhaps later on in another story.)

Basicly the Spirit cares for Johnner deeply. But I'm try to get the main character (Drake)'s point of view across.

It's something like Incest/Masterbation/something else rolled into one.

I mean the spirit's born from you an a sense (that magic point) but it's also an extention of yourself (why the mental stats are the same as the mage). What are other people's views on this?

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 10 2003, 07:59 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (TimeKeeper)
What are other people's views on this?

By UCAS law, none of those matter. They defined marriage as yet another social contract, so as long as both parties meet the legal requirements to be an adult of their species, it is acceptable. At least as far as the law is concerned. As for that guy on the corner, you're probably better off just killing him before he starts talking.

+Quote Post
rlemansky
post Oct 10 2003, 11:01 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 4,591

Greetings.

Relationships with spirits can be...complex.

The first issue is the very nature of spirits. Are they independent entities? If so, then the relationships are pretty much the same as with other lifeforms-maybe a bit better. A girl who could take any shape, maybe even change shape, appear and disappear at will-non too shabby. But, if she has a telepathic link to ALL of your thoughts, watch out.

If spirits are bits of the Ether imbued with a fragment of the mage's will/personality, then one has to consider the nature of normal relationships before bashing spirit-ual ones. How often do we project qualities on our partner-at-the-time? How often are those qualities actually possessed, as opposed to ferevntly hoped for by us? Don't we often look for partners who are much like us, or ones who are not our opposities but complements?

One of the 'Laws of Magik' is (paraphrased): 'Any complex pattern of energy can be considered to be a Person, and should be treated as a Person.' We corporeal beings ARE merely complex patterns of energy (there's really no such thing as 'solid matter', merely virtual particles popping into and out of exsistence in a somewhat stable pattern-look up 'tunneling', it'll blow your mind), and much of our personality (person-hood?) comes from our folks (genetics) and our social interactions and situations (environment). This set-up allows for some crazy, unstable mixes (and people). Do we intentionally pick a partner from a specific social group or with a particualr form, or is it random, catch as catch can? Why not 'make one to order' as with Ally spirits.

There are a few groups out there, in RL that actually deal with these issues. And, if you've never been with a succubus, your loss. It's a simple ritual, really...

My two nuyen.

:evil:

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Oct 10 2003, 11:21 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

There are a few groups out there, in RL that actually deal with these issues. And, if you've never been with a succubus, your loss. It's a simple ritual, really...

Ok, 1) That scares me. The groups not the Succubus.

and 2) I don't thing I'd want to be with a succubus. I've already been down that road. I couldn't truely enjoy her company because I'd be constantly asking myself "What does this 12 or a 10 scale want with ME?"

also 3) I'd like to keep my soul/emotions for as long as possible. And when I do give it up I'd like to get the best price available.

I guess I'll just contine protrating Ruby (the spirit) as The Fifth Element (as in the character) and Johnner less then receptive towards her feelings. (Does he just not care or does he just not see it?)

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Oct 10 2003, 03:03 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

Not sure if this fits with the heading ally spirit but here it goes. True drakes are created in much the same way as an Ally spirit including the sacrifice of a magic point. So what happens when one of them goes free? Are they considered to be living beings and there fore can acquire karma on their own or are they treated like free spirits and must receive donations? If they are treated like free spirits would they have some thing similar to spirit energy? As Big D probably had at least one true drake that he created the possibility does exsist.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 10 2003, 03:43 PM
Post #20

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

True drakes are created in much the same way as an Ally spirit including the sacrifice of a magic point.
Where was there canon rules for PC drake creation?!?!

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Oct 10 2003, 04:14 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

The rules for creating PC Drakes are in DOT6W. However PC Drakes are considered to be Breed Drakes (aka racial). True Drakes are created like a Ally Spirit by the Dragon. True Drakes are the Dragons alternate to an Ally Spirit. DOT6W suggests that ST only allow PC to play the weaker (Breeding) type.

+Quote Post
locomotiveman
post Oct 10 2003, 09:39 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 654

TimeKeeper, how large a RPG community is there on Guam?

+Quote Post
Munchkinslayer
post Oct 11 2003, 11:44 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (locomotiveman)
TimeKeeper, how large a RPG community is there on Guam?

I think you're talkin' to it.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Oct 11 2003, 05:44 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Guess I will have to make a house ruling for my game and declare "true" drakes to be the same as manifested free spirits. It will increase their nastiness factor by allowing them spirit energy but limit them by forcing them to get karma as gifts. As the only sources were such free true drakes could originate would be Big D or the Great Dragon that died in Germany it narrows down the number and personalities.

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Oct 11 2003, 09:54 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Yeah, A 24-hour nap really does wonders for the system.
As far as I can tell I AM the entire roleplaying community here on guam.
(As someone stated.)

Although there is a rather large Paintball community (I'll get into that) and there are a couple of hobby stores I have yet to check out.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.