Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Rant at GMs, Aint pulling punches
Kremlin KOA
post Apr 19 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,650

Okay I am seeing a lot of GMs making threads here that basically complain that their players are out of control

Why?

Unlimited power not all it is cracked up to be?

Remember GMs you are god!

I need to emphasize this, You are GOD! You can use your godly power to affect your world with almost no limitations

The only limit is you can't go so far that the players leave.

People here whine that their players try and get ahead of the game, or are more powerful, or are too skilled. So?

To put it simply, players want to advance, they don't want anything to be static. You can use this to make the game the way you want it.

Let me give a few examples just using only ONE of your godly powers. Your control of Karma

There are two ways to advance in SR, Karma and Loot.

Your players loot too much? 2 karma bonus at the end of a run where that player did not loot excessively, an additional 2 each if nobody loots excessively.

tired of PCs killing everyone, +1 karma for any run completed without any death... +2 if no shots are fired

want less skills at 6. skill at 6 costs double

the possibilities are endless

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 19 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,448

Your players loot too much? 2 karma bonus at the end of a run where that player did not loot excessively, an additional 2 each if nobody loots excessively.

What about mouse shamans? My sister is playing one of those, and not because of this aspect. After I told her that the "looting everything"-part of the totem would be pretty essential, she started to take literary everything from her opponents she maybe could some time make use of, just as the totem says.
Nothing wrong with it. In my group we don't get individual karma, but she certainly would get roleplaying karma if we did.
I like to play my ape shaman in a similiar way, because he has very few equipment. Just "looted" two hold-outs and an AK-97 last run, starting to grow familiar with them(he also stole some Armanté clothing and hair shampoo!).

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Apr 19 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

And what about Swordfish Mustardball?

The mouse totem isn't overpowered. Where is the problem?

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Apr 19 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Poet, I used that one because some Gms whine about loot

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 19 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Ah, I see. Sorry, then. The players of those GMs do not even know of totems and such, possibly. :spin:

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 19 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Mecha-Shiva!

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 19 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

That's something neither my ape- nor my sister's mouse-shaman would loot.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 19 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

It's important to remember that the line you shouldn't cross isn't making your players leave, it's making the game not fun for your players. That is much more difficult, ESPECIALLY when your players have different views of fun. I remember distinctly, when I was running the Other Game, I had two die-hard munchkins, two die-hard roleplayers, and two 'lead me by the nose' players.

The munchkins weren't having fun if they weren't getting uber. They spent waaayyy too much time thinking about that too. Which meant I could penalize them (which takes away their fun), reward everyone else (which makes it feel like favoritism), or just live with the headaches of having an unbalanced party. The roleplayers got frustrated because the party was unbalanced, but didn't want to do the work to catch up. The 'lead me by the nose' players I NEVER knew if they were having fun. I assume they were, they came back every week, but nothing I could do would elicit obvious pleasure (however forcing them to roleplay did elicit obvious frustration).

I DID come up with an ingenious solution. Namely, I let the munchkins have high powered, high-risk things (like a wand that had about a 20-30% chance of seriously harming the user). And the munchkins enjoyed roleplaying too, so I pushed more of that. But looking back on it, there is little more I could have done to marry such different goals. It's like asking a group of people where they want to go to dinner.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 19 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (nezumi)
But looking back on it, there is little more I could have done to marry such different goals. It's like asking a group of people where they want to go to dinner.

The analogy I've been using is that the GM is the guy responsible for ordering the pizza.

He asks everyone what they want, receives potentially incompatible answers and/or indecision, and then he orders the pie based off the best compromise he can come up with. From week to week, he might vary the toppings a bit to keep as many people happy as possible, but for the most part the typical configuration is established.

If someone decides the compromises aren't good enough for them, they leave, and the potential topping combinations change. If a new person shows up, the dynamic changes yet again.

In any case, the odds are good that no one is going to be offered exactly the pizza that they want at any given time. The point is the social gathering, though, so everyone should either learn to compromise or go eat elsewhere.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 19 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #10

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

That's an over simplification, Kremlin. As was pointed out, the GM has the power to simply say "you can't do that", or penalize an action so much that it's not worth doing it.

We all know that.

People come to the forums to ask others ways to smoothly solve problems, preferably using existing rules or SR-consistent logic. It is far more bearable for a player to be told "you can't carry a PAC around cause Lone Star is gonna get you" then "You can't carry that around, munchie, cause you're gonna kill my NPCs too easily"

You can use this to make the game the way you want it.

I thought it was about making it how everyone wants it.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 19 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Backgammon)

Actually, it's about both. The trick is that the two goals are usually incompatible.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 19 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #12

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Apr 19 2006, 01:06 PM)

Actually, it's about both. The trick is that the two goals are usually incompatible.

I didn't say "everyone else". 'Everyone' includes the GM. But, agreed on what you're saying.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 19 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I think every player of an RPG should have a turn at GM'ing. It's a tough job, no bones about it. It's his/her job to make sure everyone has fun and that can be very difficult. Especially when there can be incredibly conflicting goals. Some players want to be challenged, while others just want their characters to march through blasting everything. It is a rare and special thing when you can get a group of players together that all have the same play style.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Apr 19 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

the first step where a GM needs to step in, is in character creation. when you review characters, look for potential problems, and point those out to the player. work with them to make a better character. If they really want to play something broken, then its improper to go out of your way to hit em with that- once a game is enough usualy, a reminder that they have this issue they have to deal with.

now, part of the problem may be that what a player feels is 'skilled professional, able to do this job', a GM sees as 'munckin, rules-abuse'. The latter happens when you get a bunch of stats, with no personality and no moral code. some people want a brutal killer, or a ninja-like assasin, even when told that such a character wont fit in the setting. People who want to play wolverine can break a game, because they do stupid things 'for fun', get themselves and the rest of the team killed, and then make a carbon copy without caring. the problem is not the character, its the attitude of the player.

but if all that is happening, is that a couple runners are very efficient at what they do? give them more dangerous jobs. add in more plot twists, or side plots, that complicate a run.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Apr 19 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #15

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Teulisch @ Apr 19 2006, 01:35 PM)
People who want to play wolverine can break a game, because they do stupid things 'for fun', get themselves and the rest of the team killed, and then make a carbon copy without caring. the problem is not the character, its the attitude of the player.

Plus they don't seem to know jack about the character they're ripping o... "emulating."

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 19 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Yes, a GM is GOD in his game world, but the game runs smoother, funner, and better if he doesn't have to rely on using his godlike powers, which only happens whent he players and GMs can all come to an agreement about the power level they want to have in the campaign.

For your two examples, there are better ways to go about it IMO.

Loot: looting takes time. If "too much" looting is going on, do something to push the action forward. Sirens in the distance can do that much faster and realistically than altering karma awards.

Killing: murderers get hunted much harder than thieves. If you break into a compound and steal stuff the corp and/or the Star may come looking. If you kill every gaurd in sight you also add in the coworkers, friends, and spouses to the possible pool of vengeance seekers.

+Quote Post
Dragonscript
post Apr 19 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 7,812

As a GM i tend to change the way i run the game by how the payers acts. If they start looting too much? Just make the situation change so either they can't loot, it is pretty hard to look during a gang-bike gun battle while being chased by the cops, or make it so they have to use all that loot more often, i throw more low powered NPCs at them to soak up all the bullets and since they have crappy guns the PCs don't tend to loot them.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 19 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Yes, a GM is GOD in his game world, but the game runs smoother, funner, and better if he doesn't have to rely on using his godlike powers, which only happens whent he players and GMs can all come to an agreement about the power level they want to have in the campaign.

Loot: looting takes time. If "too much" looting is going on, do something to push the action forward. Sirens in the distance can do that much faster and realistically than altering karma awards.

Killing: murderers get hunted much harder than thieves. If you break into a compound and steal stuff the corp and/or the Star may come looking. If you kill every gaurd in sight you also add in the coworkers, friends, and spouses to the possible pool of vengeance seekers.

Words to live by.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 19 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

It seems like so much of what we discuss here, can be remedied by playing the game, rather than the rules.

I work with my players at chargen, and we come up with a background and the skills/cyber/resources all fit with that background.

In game, they know that I won't pull a GM fiat "just because" (I've lost some "level bosses" that way :( )and I know that they'll listen to my reasoning when I override a RAW or interpret something differently than them.

GMs don't have ultimate power, because a god without any faithful has no power. It's a cooperative effort.
And like mdynna says, let them GM a while. Even gods need a break ;)

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Apr 19 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (James McMurray)

That would be an example of the 'stick approach'.
Why do you feel the 'stick' approach superior to the 'carrot' approach

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 19 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #21

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Teulisch)
People who want to play wolverine can break a game, because they do stupid things 'for fun', get themselves and the rest of the team killed, and then make a carbon copy without caring

Odd. I break the game doing stupid things for fun not because I'm a munchkin, but because I'm a looney. I tend to play characters who are happy-go-lucky and like to ride by the seat of their pants.

That said, that certainly doesn't invalidate the point, it's still the player's fault, and it still tends to get people killed, but it isn't because I want to be a super-ninja. I just enjoy playing too much :P

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 19 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
That would be an example of the 'stick approach'.
Why do you feel the 'stick' approach superior to the 'carrot' approach

It's not a matter of stick vs. carrot. It's a matter of in character vs. in rules. I'd rather handle a problem using the game world than the game system whenever possible.

There are plenty of ingame carrots available to stop killing. Some employers pay more for deathless runs, your reputation as a professional is higher, and you're more likely to get the hard jobs (i.e. those that require more than body count and therefor pay more).

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 19 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 98

Hey, if you're not ruining anyone's fun, who cares if the characters die?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 19 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

True, but it's a rare occassion to have a character death not detract from the player's fun. Possible, but pretty uncommon and almost impossible to cause as a GM.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 19 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 19 2006, 04:42 PM)
It's not a matter of stick vs. carrot. It's a matter of in character vs. in rules. I'd rather handle a problem using the game world than the game system whenever possible.

In my experience, the use of both sticks and carrots increases the value of each. Sort of a good-cop/bad-cop thing.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.