Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Studying Shadowrunners, RP idea about academia + running
FanGirl
post Apr 20 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,438

A little bit of context: in my sociology class, we're studying ethnographic field work. Basically, this involves a sociologist (usually a grad student writing his thesis) living among and studying a given culture or subculture. He has to spend a long time--about one or two years--immersing himself in this culture, gaining the trust of its members in order to get them to open up to him. In this way, he gets a real sense of the lives of these people and of the social world in which they move. Basically, he's like an embedded reporter, only his insights into the society will be deeper because he's actually been trained to look at society in a scientific manner (unlike a journalist :biggrin:). Because a lot of these ethnographies involve studying criminal groups such as street gangs, it seems only logical that some sociologists in the SR world would want to do an ethnography on shadowrunning.

So here's my RP idea: a grad student shadows the team so that he can study them for his thesis. He's led a fairly sheltered life, so the realities of the shadows might be so frightening and gritty to him that just one run might scare him off, but he may also decide to dig in his heels and stay for the sake of his work. The student might find himself functioning as the group's face: between oral exams, class presentations, and trying to convince professors to cut him some slack around finals time, he's learned how to be eloquent under pressure. As the campaign plays out and the grad student is drawn in deeper and deeper, he may even find that he's happier in the shadow world. Among his fellow runners, his ideas are acknowledged and appreciated, but in the university world, he has to wear himself out just to have the professors in his department take him seriously. He may have to struggle to figure out where his true loyalties lie.

Here's another idea about academia in the Sixth World: I'm willing to bet that, because of the awe most people have for magic, universities tend to lavish their funds upon their thamaturgy programs while leaving other programs strapped for cash. As a result, both professors and students in the more "mundane" departments are bitter and resentful towards those snotty, self-important mages throwing around flashy sparks and stealing the funds that are rightfully theirs. Perhaps they secretly plot the downfall of their "enemies" in Thamaturgy. Inter-departmental squabbles could even provide an overture into a shadowrun. . . :vegm:

How else might one work academia into an SR setting?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 20 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Yamazaki, William Gibson's Bridge Trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties)

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 20 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

Well, getting into the Ork Underground for an anthro study would be a good one.

Also, studying paranormal critters would probably require "protection" from the wee beasties...

Ooh, or an archaeological dig! That would have tons of possibilities!

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Grant money would be very scarce, too; so runners might be hired to discredit theories, delay presenting professors or damage their demonstrations, along with blackmailing congressmen and wage slaves with the job of disseminating the nuyen. And then you have the classic, "stealing this rosetta stone from Celedyr and frame x University".

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 20 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 19 2006, 08:48 PM)
Yamazaki, William Gibson's Bridge Trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties)

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with. . .well, any of that stuff. Would you please elaborate?

EDIT: Nevermind.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 20 2006, 02:25 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Yamazaki is a Japanese ethnologist who studies urban subcultures in particular, usually by living among them. Very interesting objective character.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Apr 20 2006, 02:32 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

Sprawl Survival Guide may give you an idea as well (a reporter does something similar).

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 20 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 19 2006, 09:25 PM)
Yamazaki is a Japanese ethnologist who studies urban subcultures in particular, usually by living among them. Very interesting objective character.

Sudhir Venkatesh is pretty bad-ass too. My daddy told me that when he (Venkatesh, not my dad) was a grad student more than a decade ago, he was sent to a Chicago housing project to administer a survey to its residents. The gang that held power in that housing project held Venkatesh hostage all night in the stairwell, letting him go the next morning, in order to scare him off their turf. But then he just came back right back to administer the survey again, and the gang was so shocked and impressed by his boldness that they let him stay unhindered. He ended up writing a paper for the American Journal of Sociology about the gang and how it interacted with the rest of the housing project's community, and he's done lots of work on the lives of the urban poor. He's a professor at Columbia now. :)

+Quote Post
SL James
post Apr 20 2006, 03:33 AM
Post #9

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

It just proves some people are too stupid to be killed.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 20 2006, 03:37 AM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

University researchers, especially Thaumaturgists, face many dangers. Not only do they have to contend with their peers, they also have to contend with corporate research teams who would be happy to kill them and steal their work if they make a big breakthrough. They also have to worry about finding something that the immortals don't feel metahumanity is ready for yet and getting nuked by powerful fourth-world magic.
And lets not forget the interpid explorer who astrally projected to the edge of the manashpere and promptly ripped his own eyes out.

Having the runners bodyguard a grad student who actually understands Spinecrusher, Breaker of Souls.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 20 2006, 04:05 AM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

You just wish you had those kinds of balls. Your facade of grittiness fools no one.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #12

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 19 2006, 11:05 PM)

You just wish you had those kinds of balls. Your facade of grittiness fools no one.

Shadowrun already did a play on this cat, only it was with ghouls (instead of gangs) in Cabrini Green. Too bad he wound up infected in the end.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 20 2006, 04:23 AM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Most gangs don't eat people flesh.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Apr 20 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #14

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

As was mentioned, SSG has a closely related artical, written by one of our own (Elissa Carey). Its one of my fav. bits of SR flavor, that I often toss at a player so they get their roots right.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.