> Potency & The Twisted Way
gh0st.walk3r
post Apr 21 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,489

Wey, my first post!

In my new campaign I'm currently running as a ghoul twisted adept (of all things). What i want to know is peoples opinion of how potency would be gained, as MITS is quite vague.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 21 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Well, it's vauge because NPCs don't need hard and fast rules - the GM usually just assigns a reasonable amount and raises it as the threat completes goals.

If I were to allow PC twisted way, then I would say one could exchange karma for potency, which should work as long as they stay in character.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Apr 21 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

If it's a PC, let him purchase it at the same cost as initiating, with their dastardly deeds reducing the cost of it.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 21 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Considering how potent potency can be for an adept I'd have to agree with Nick about the cost but I'd add one caveat.

Your Twisted Way adept should have a specific MO for gaining potency. He may be a master thief, he may be a consumate warrior, he may be a serial killer or he may be something else entirely. His methods and designs should always be twisted but they should follow a certain pattern. He may stalk and kill. He may break into high security areas and destroy priceless artifacts. He may be like that guy from Saw. He may be like that [insert favorite serial killer here]. His methods may seem unconscionable to most or they may seem to just be eccentric.

He may also be a member of a Twisted inititory group, in which case he should follow their MO if he has one.

I'd like to congragulate you on finding a GM who would allow a PC with Potency in the first place.

+Quote Post
gh0st.walk3r
post Apr 21 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 8,489

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I'd like to congragulate you on finding a GM who would allow a PC with Potency in the first place.

thanks, he's nuts :P

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 22 2006, 04:38 AM
Post #6

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I've considered allowing it for a voodoun Petro in one of my games. I was going ot charge the same cost as it takes to raise spirit energy as a free spirit, but I Think the initiation makes more sense. Basically because it's an existing mechanic for raising an adepts power, with a stiff minimum cost.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes so I can better decide wether or not to allow it in my game.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 22 2006, 05:31 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the way i'd handle PC Potency is to make it a cross between an ordeal and a thesis. basically, the character has certain goals, which the GM should work out beforehand with or without the player's input (depends on the PC). the character then works towards these goals, and if he achieves them, the cost of his next initiation is reduced accordingly. but if he is thwarted, or if his work is ever somehow undone afterwards, he loses the grade until/unless he can somehow make amends.

i might make it so that if the GM gets to set the goals himself, the PC is counted as being in an initiatory group even if he works alone.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Apr 22 2006, 05:36 AM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

*cough* Way Ordeal *cough*

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.