IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Active Softs and Incompetant !?!?(interaction?)
chewy01234
post Apr 25 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,490

Suppose I have a character with Incompetance in Heavy Weapons (like 0 unaware) but I also have an active soft of heavy weapons 4? (with skillwires or whatever)

furthermore what if I bought a knowsoft about (heavy weapons 5)??

I can't find any rules that explicitly mention this so I'm pretty sure this is going to be more of an GM opinion type thing or maybe someone has some SR3 cannon....

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Apr 25 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

My guess is it depends on how the GM interprets the rules, you could say that the incompetence applies to even the skillsoft, or you could say that the skillsoft is immune to the incompetence.

+Quote Post
chewy01234
post Apr 25 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,490

no offense but thats exactly what i was wondering. you kind of just restated my question. Thanks for the reply though :)

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Apr 25 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

A) Let the player get away with it cause he is spending the Nuyen on the skillwires and softs, but make it harder for him to get them for unknown reasons unless he RP's the situation well (IE, market dry, crackdown on illegal skills, etc). This is if he got the incomp at gen and wanted to buy the softs later in the game.

B) Smack the player up side the head for trying to get around the rules and saving only 1BP, cause the 5BP for the Incomp dont add up to the cost of the skillwires 4 "Basic" (8000) + the activesoft (12000) [4BP nuyen] + the essence loss of the skillwires (priceless). This is char gen...

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Apr 25 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

We all seem to agree that there's no Rule As Written prohibiting being Incompetent in an active skill and having Skillwires and an Activesoft to replace the Incompetence.

It's important to note, though, that for the 5BP that Incompetent provides that you would have to purchase Skillwires and an Activesoft of the same rating. Note that Incompetent does not apply to Knowledge skills and Languages.

That's a pretty big Essence and Nuyen hit just for 5BP. =)

Edit: Konsaki must have had the same thought at the same time. =)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 25 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

and interestingly, the person can no longer roll edge when using heavy weapons...

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 25 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

You can't get skillwires 4 with a rating 4 progam at char gen.

Also, keep in mind that the nuyen hit you take is really only for the 12,000 :nuyen: program if you assume the character would have gotten the skillwires anyway. 8,000 :nuyen: for a rating 3 program at chargen means they've gained 3BP and 2,000 :nuyen:. Not too shabby, and definitely a minor cheese of the system.

However, they can only have up to double rating active in skills and it takes a simple action to swap skills, so they'll sometimes find themselves losing actions to use their heavy weapons. They also can't use edge with the skill, so will lose the ability to pull off some big shots when they really need to.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 26 2006, 06:57 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 948

I see no problem for a character having incompetence in one skill and then using skillwires to help him using the equipment. They pay for it both in essence and money and hardly gain much in it.

1. They cannot use Edge
2. They are limited to Rating 3 (8D6 with smartlink for ranged combat)
3. Rating 3 skills cost 9K a piece so they aint cheap.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.