Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Playing a member of the AARP?
PeanutGallery
post Apr 26 2006, 03:05 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,463

Has anyone played a member of the AARP, you know with like a walker or one of those rascals? That would be kinda cool...

[Topic Title edited by Adam for clarity. Please use descriptive subject titles in the future -- thanks.]

This post has been edited by Adam: Apr 27 2006, 03:09 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 26 2006, 03:27 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

…a thread without an informative title? No, I try not to play those.

(If someone needs to read the thread, even the first post of it, to know what it's about, that's a bad thing.)

~J

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 26 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (PeanutGallery)
Has anyone played a member of the AARP, you know with like a walker or one of those rascals? That would be kinda cool...

Ok I have to admit I find the visual of an Octogenarian Technomancer operating out of a retirement home amusing. Maybe it will turn up as an NPC in one of my games.

+Quote Post
Taran
post Apr 26 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,891

Yeah, it'd pretty much have to be a rigger or a stay-at-home decker. Shadowruns tend to be punctuated by unexpected bursts of athleticism, which pretty much lets out your average grandmother type.

+Quote Post
bustedkarma
post Apr 26 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,420

think a Senior Citizen could make for a really fun Johnson or Fixer.

Imagine your meet being at a Bingohall, or even at a retirement home.
Play him as kind of an edgy Granfather type, smoking, and smacking nurses on the ass. Mildly senile, weak bladder, and mean as a snake.

Quotes....

"Back in '54, we didn't have all your fancy Augmented Reality and Commie Links. If a man wanted to hack somebody in my day, he had to use a MACHETE!"

"Docwagon my ass. When a fella got shot when I was runnin, we used to just rub some dirt on it. Slap Patchs, let me tell you about Slap Patches. We kept em around for women and small animals. Real men just walked off a chest wound when I was your age."

"You there, the one with the face pierced. What do your parents think of that? Pass me those heart pills"

"Wanna see pictures of my Grandkids"

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 26 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I'm not going to contribute to this thread because the subject line was totally uninformative, and that is acutely annoying. Next time please make the subject line describe what the thread is about.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 26 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I stole the Grandma from Devil Hunter Yoko; forever leaping to the PC's aid through glass windows on a motorcycle. And then bitching them out for being so stupid.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Apr 27 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #8

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I'm not going to contribute to this thread because the subject line was totally uninformative, and that is acutely annoying. Next time please make the subject line describe what the thread is about.

Um...yet you still clicked it and posted.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 27 2006, 03:01 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

that's about par for the course around here.

there's no reason why a senior citizen couldn't be a decker or rigger. the ability to 'run and punch" might be needed for more of a feild person like a mae or street sam. i htink part of the problem though is that the tech levels are fairly new in the SR world. now only 20 years on.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 27 2006, 03:07 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

QUOTE (bustedkarma)
Quotes....

"Back in '54, we didn't have all your fancy Augmented Reality and Commie Links. If a man wanted to hack somebody in my day, he had to use a MACHETE!"

"Docwagon my ass. When a fella got shot when I was runnin, we used to just rub some dirt on it. Slap Patchs, let me tell you about Slap Patches. We kept em around for women and small animals. Real men just walked off a chest wound when I was your age."

"You there, the one with the face pierced. What do your parents think of that? Pass me those heart pills"

Brilliant! More, more! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 27 2006, 03:29 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 26 2006, 05:16 PM)
I'm not going to contribute to this thread because the subject line was totally uninformative, and that is acutely annoying.  Next time please make the subject line describe what the thread is about.

Um...yet you still clicked it and posted.

But I didn't *contribute* because I just clogged the thread up with a complaint. That's not a contribution; that's a minor annoyance.

DAMMIT, you made me go and do it again.

Oh well, I guess it's OK now because the thread title has been fixed.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Apr 27 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

QUOTE (FanGirl)
QUOTE (bustedkarma @ Apr 26 2006, 05:12 PM)
Quotes....

Brilliant! More, more! :rotfl:

But that is like someone today talking about what they did in 1991. My husband was out of the army by then. Cell phones were still big enough to be weapons and computers were no where near as hot as they are now. But no one gets that far gone.

I friend of his was in both Gulf wars and doesn't have that sort of disconnect.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Apr 27 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Some of the most dangerous fighters I know are in their 50s. They might not have the strength or speed or endurance of someone in their 20s or 30s, but they've got thirty years of experience to make up for that. Old age and treachery beats youth and speed every time.

Or, in other words, never forget Rule One.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 27 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Apr 27 2006, 01:37 PM)
But that is like someone today talking about what they did in 1991. My husband was out of the army by then. Cell phones were still big enough to be weapons and computers were no where near as hot as they are now. But no one gets that far gone.

I friend of his was in both Gulf wars and doesn't have that sort of disconnect.

I sometimes compare and contrast life "in my day" with the current life of the kids I babysit and I'm nineteen.

"When I was your age, we had good TV shows on Nickelodeon! Classics, like Are You Afraid Of The Dark? The Adventures of Pete and Pete, AAAAH! REAL MONSTERS! and Salute Your Shorts! And the Rugrats weren't 'All Grown Up,' either!"

I also remember when they didn't have little individual TV screens embedded in airplane seats, as well as a time when the Internet and cell phones didn't dominate people's lives, and many other aspects of life that were very different when I was a little kid. In short, I'm staggered by how much the world has changed in just a few short years, and sometimes it makes me feel much older than I probably should. I can't imagine how fast people in the future will "age."

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 27 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

After a recent flight from East coast to West Coast and back, I have to thank the airline for installing the little individual tv screens. It made the flight much more enjoyable. I remember flying from Atlanta to Hong Kong back in my days and those were miserable journeys without the tv screens.

I can see the old folks who do go out on the run using combat pills possibly to help maintain their edge when there's a need for that brief amount of high flying action.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 27 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

What was the original thread title that makes Wounded so annoyed?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 27 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

"Has anyone ever…" with topic description "played…", or something like that. It was an offense against nature, all of mankind, and any god that exists.

~J

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 27 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
After a recent flight from East coast to West Coast and back, I have to thank the airline for installing the little individual tv screens.  It made the flight much more enjoyable.  I remember flying from Atlanta to Hong Kong back in my days and those were miserable journeys without the tv screens.

I can see the old folks who do go out on the run using combat pills possibly to help maintain their edge when there's a need for that brief amount of high flying action.

...of course I remember real meals, on real plates with real glasses and real silverware served by real hostesses while sitting in seats that had real room - and those whirly things on the ends of the engine nacelles...what were they called...? ah! Propellers. (need more of that Cerebral Boost Tonic)

ahhh for the pre-deregulation days of air travel when you didn't have to transfer at points "C" & "D" to get from "A" to "B".

...and strangely enough, it was still pretty affordable.

Now flying (at least domestic US) has become something akin to a Greyhound bus with wings in just about every bad way.

Sherman. Set the wayback machine for the "golden age"...

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 27 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
After a recent flight from East coast to West Coast and back, I have to thank the airline for installing the little individual tv screens.  It made the flight much more enjoyable.  I remember flying from Atlanta to Hong Kong back in my days and those were miserable journeys without the tv screens.

...of course I remember real meals, on real plates with real glasses and real silverware served by real hostesses while sitting in seats that had real room - and those whirly things on the ends of the engine nacelles...what were they called...? ah! Propellers. (need more of that Cerebral Boost Tonic)

ahhh for the pre-deregulation days of air travel when you didn't have to transfer at points "C" & "D" to get from "A" to "B".

...and strangely enough, it was still pretty affordable.

Now flying (at least domestic US) has become something akin to a Greyhound bus with wings in just about every bad way.

Sherman. Set the wayback machine for the "golden age"...

Funny, that isn't the way I remember Panamerican Airlines........

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 27 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Heh.

I'll take the idiot box installed in the chair and cheap flight tickets over a meal. The food wasn't that great from what I remember anyway. :-P

Oh, this one time back in the 90's I managed to travel in the business section from Tokyo back to Atlanta... It was the plane with the upper section for the cockpit and business class so you had to go up some stairs inside the plane. my gawd I was in luxury. I was reclined in my chair, my feet were propped out. My sister who was travelling with me was sitting on the window seat, she gets up to go the restroom, walks AROUND me and into the aisle. I was thinking dang, life was good. Hmmm... where's the inflight movie? Oh crap, each seat has their own monitor that you swing out from the armrest. What? Free alcohol? Hmmm... never tried sake before.

Oh yeah, that was the flight. Something I doubt I'll ever get a chance to be in again.

Back on topic, so what do y'all think of that aging runner who's now having to pop Kamikaze's to maintain his edge? The geriatric decker/rigger operating from the retirement home makes sense. I guess a mage would work too, especially one who makes talismans, create wards, maybe do some stuff like astral scouting.

Oh, then there's the group of old farts in the retirement home that's formed their own magical group. They've booked the community room for their ritual sorcery from 8 PM till 10PM so no bingo tonight folks, please don't interrupt them, they can get a bit testy if you do...

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 27 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

QUOTE (FanGirl @ Apr 27 2006, 02:59 PM)
"When I was your age, we had good TV shows on Nickelodeon!  Classics, like Are You Afraid Of The Dark? The Adventures of Pete and Pete, AAAAH!  REAL MONSTERS! and Salute Your Shorts!  And the Rugrats weren't 'All Grown Up,' either!"

Yeah? I remember when pretty much all the cartoons were Hannah Barbera, and Go Speed Go! was our anime battle cry. I remember when VCRs were new, and having to dial rotary phones (that's why it's called dialing a number)

I remember LPs, and 45s that weren't pistols, and cable TV had 40 channels at most.

Roleplay a member of AARP? Crap, I'm about to live it!

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 27 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (ronin3338)
Yeah? I remember when pretty much all the cartoons were Hannah Barbera, and Go Speed Go! was our anime battle cry. I remember when VCRs were new, and having to dial rotary phones (that's why it's called dialing a number)

I remember LPs, and 45s that weren't pistols, and cable TV had 40 channels at most.

Roleplay a member of AARP? Crap, I'm about to live it!

Cable TV? What's that?
Though I do have to concede that you're probably older than I am, Ronin. Heh.

I grew up on the slightly later stuff, like Heman, Thundercats, Mask, GI Joe, Starblazers, Robotech, Smurfs (la la la lalalala...), Gummi Bears!

45s? You mean Colt 45, the beer? ;-)

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 27 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

I think he means 45 RPM records, they were like cassette singles for your record player. I remember when the first UHF stations came on in Seattle, of course I grew up without cable but I think they were up to about 50 channels by then. The Cosby show wasn't in reruns yet and the K Car was going to save the American Auto Industry :)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 27 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Sweet! I'm not the only old bastard around here. :)

My first computer plugged into the TV and used cassette tapes for storage.

The best cartoons were Our Star Blazers and G-Force. woot!

And yes, I did own Pong, although it was on the Atari 2600, not the original system.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 27 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

I know, but I just had to make a reference to good 'ol Lando (Billy Dee Williams) and his ads for Colt '45. :-D

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.