IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [RL] Decorated security devices, Look at the cute smily face camera!
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 26 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,327

Security devices and art

Thought it'd be funny to have some vivid description of some of the security devices being decorated all funky depending on location/corporation.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 26 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #2

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...little did the runners realise that the potted plant on the table in the corner has been recording all of their moves and sending it in burst packets to the KE security office.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Apr 27 2006, 04:07 AM
Post #3

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

actually, I hide pop-up minigun turrets in concrete planters.

and that chandelier/hanging sculpture with the shiny bits? cameras behind two way mirrors.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Apr 27 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #4

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

"Weirdly enough, I've developed a certain fetishism towards security products. I quite like the broken glass," Mr Megyeri said.

HA!

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 27 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I alsmost always camoflauge the technical security in corporate facilities for two reasons. First it makes it hard for intruders to spot, but sencond and actually more important (to the corp) is makes it less obtrusive to their employees, and is consequently less distracting.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Apr 27 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

You might wanna go the other route. Really spiff the stuff up to look bigger and scarier than it is. If your guard shack looks like it can take an artillery hit, it'd probably deter some folks... and save money.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 27 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

That would work great for the external stuff that everyone is meant to see, but for interior type countermeasures it would probably be more detrimental to productivity. Having a giant chrome minigun sitting on a smart firing platform next to the Xerox and the watercooler ie probably going to make employees nervous and jumpy. There are studies that show backless cubicles reduce productivity by as much as 40%, imagine what the minigun does. Things like hidden cameras and mics, gas dispensers hidden in the sprinkler system heads, shock plates strategicly placed in the floors, hidden narcoject guns or squirts are the sorts of things I like to hide indoors.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Apr 27 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Yes, I was thinking of the stuff facing outward. There's probably an upside and a downside even to that, as far as employee morale.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 27 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

I was thinking something silly, like the minigun on the exterior having a giant smiley face on it. While the cameras are made to look like some garish cartoon face. Especially relevants for a theme park or toy factory.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Apr 27 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Reminds me of the urban legend that at Disney World, under those Mickey Mouse costumes are bad-ass armed to the teeth Disney-cops.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 27 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Dog)
Yes, I was thinking of the stuff facing outward. There's probably an upside and a downside even to that, as far as employee morale.

It really is something that kept in mind will radically alter your in game defensive design. Think of it this way what is the cost of a break in. Potential for a property damage, maybe some employee casualties, and in the case of professionals after a high value target, a short term loss of competitive advantage. But it's a one time hit, and how often is a specific locataion going to be hit in one year? Now think about the potential revenue damage of a daily 40-50% drop in employee productivity caused by adding poorly concealed active security measures to a working environment and compare the two. The added cost of a less obtrusive system makes a lot of sense when that math is done.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 27 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #12

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

That's easily enough fixed, Steve.

Inform the employees that those active security measures are constantly judging their performance, and that they have an algorythym to judge from patterns of productivity who may or may not be a rival corporation's employee planted in your location to drag productivity down.

:)

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 27 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

That sounds like the Mitsuhama way to me ;)

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 27 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

it might still drag morale down in that management does not trust their employees.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 27 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #15

Horror

But morale's positive benefits on productivity can be replicated by fear. Maintaining morale is difficult, maintaining fear is a simple matter of demonstrating a willingness to execute employees for failure to be productive.

See: the minigun.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 27 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #16

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

What's a "backless cubicle"?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 27 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Sorry that was a little less than descriptive. It's a cubicle arrangement where a person is at a desk that is walled on 3 sides but there isn't a wall directly behind them, just open space or a walkway. In a lot of offices you get the "buddy" cubical where you have a three sided enclosure and two employees back to back (Office Space used these I think) another common layout is a 3 sided enclosure where the open space is to the employees side in their normal desk position.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 27 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #18

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

And the backless is less productive than the buddy, or is it four walls that is the most productive?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 27 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

The backless is apparently the least productive by a large margin. The others varied a bit by industry, the buddy cubes, real offices, and open sides were in a fairly tight range for productivity, but the backless ones universally fell well below that range.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Apr 29 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (stevebugge)
The backless is apparently the least productive by a large margin. The others varied a bit by industry, the buddy cubes, real offices, and open sides were in a fairly tight range for productivity, but the backless ones universally fell well below that range.

...and bad feng shui. :P

+Quote Post
BlacKat
post May 1 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 2,631

I have worked on offices that used the backless system for cubes just to cut down on space. We had enough desk space for a computer and phone and that was about it. In many cases if we needed to take notes during a call we used wordpad or had a notebook in our laps. The main reason companies like the backless system is that it is very easy for a supervisor or team lead to see if you are doing your work or slacking off. Its poor for performance due to space loss, in our case, and the perpetual feeling that someone is staring at you from behind. Nervouse employees are generally poor performers. Ask anyone who's company has announced that there will be layoffs but not which departments will be affected.

BlacKat

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post May 1 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #22

Horror

Again, I'm telling you...

Just tell them that the giant, shining chrome minigun next to the water cooler is authorized to shoot corporate spies. And that poor performance is the primary way it judges who's a corporate spy.

Fear is an execelent motivator.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 1 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

But what sort of performance are you looking for, quality or quantity? Because with poor morale, quantity can still be achieved, but quality? Eh.

And shadow your argument still won't make people comforted because there's the constant worry about 'glitches' with the system. Work in a place that has a minigun by the freaking water cooler? Frag that.

+Quote Post
Dog
post May 3 2006, 02:55 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

But install a water-cooler at the mini-gun station, and the security department has become a friend for life! :D

+Quote Post
Platinum
post May 3 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Again, I'm telling you...

Just tell them that the giant, shining chrome minigun next to the water cooler is authorized to shoot corporate spies. And that poor performance is the primary way it judges who's a corporate spy.

Fear is an execelent motivator.

Are you kidding me .... it would wind up being a distraction. I would spend all my time trying to hack the system to take over control waste my boss and competition so I can move up the corporate ladder.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.