Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SURGErs
Glayvin34
post Apr 26 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,275

I'm new to SR with the fourth edition, were there any rules for being affected by the SURGE associated with Halley's Comet from the third edition? Were there any other metatypes available?
A "SURGEr" Quality would make sense if you're not already a metatype other than human. You would get a diminished metatype-like set of effects, like +1 to an atrribute or two but you run at half speed because your hooves are cumbersome, or you take a -1 on most social interactions because of your third eye, something like that.
Has this ground been covered already?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 26 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I was surprised that SR4 didn't have any of the "Changling" (that's what they call those affected by SURGE) traits. What you'll probably have to do is pick up Year of the Comet. That lists all of the SURGE traits. From there they should translate almost directly into Positive and Negative Qualities in SR4.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 26 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #3

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Take the BP cost of buying equvilant cyberware/bioware to gain the effect and then a little more BP for cosmetic surgery, then call it SURGE. Then maybe charge a BP or 2 to round it off. The advantage of not losing the essence is traded for being a freak.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Apr 26 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (mdynna)
What you'll probably have to do is pick up Year of the Comet. That lists all of the SURGE traits. From there they should translate almost directly into Positive and Negative Qualities in SR4.

Ah-so. I just downloaded Year of the Comet but I had only gotten a few chapters into it when I posted. There's that whole chapter at the end dealing with Changling traits. Neat-o. Maybe we'll see some 4th ed info on this next year.
The rules are cool, 5 BP to be a "changling", then they have corresponding Negative and Positive SURGE effects. You're supposed to roll 1d6+modifiers to determine how much of each you get. Looks like my GM is about to get the crap bugged out of him.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 26 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 98

I'll be honest... I Highlander 2'ed SURGE after I'd read through it (that is, I pretended it didn't happen). I get the impression from talking around here that there's a significant percentage of GMs that basically went "Heh, uh.. right. No."

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 26 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

But oh how it is lovely for critters. Immunity to Normal Weapons on a Barghest...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 26 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #7

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

from what i recall, most people freaked at the cat girl stuff in the fluff. to much anime for their tastes...

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 26 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

The mechanics made it reasonably unlikely to happen, we checked in our group and only one character was hit. Because the effects were not listed in SR4 we just decided that they faded over time because they required the added mana level associated with the Comet, of course that leaves the door open for them to come back if an upcoming book includes them again.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 26 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Runner

I really don't have a problem with people getting cosmetic surgery, balance tails, or whatever they want to be all anime-ed out in game. The Johnson might think less of them, but if they've got a solid street rep, that's more important.

But when it feels like a game like has basically said "Hey, let's pay fanservice to anime and X-Men fans by having characters randomly mutate into those genres," it doesn't sit well with me.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 26 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

What was so wrong about SURGE? It was totally up to the GM whether it actually happened to PC's or not. Sure there were rules for the "SURGE test" but it didn't have to happen.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 26 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Shrike30)
But when it feels like a game like has basically said "Hey, let's pay fanservice to anime and X-Men fans by having characters randomly mutate into those genres," it doesn't sit well with me.

You mean like paying homage to fantasy by having people randomly Goblinize into Orks and Trolls?

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Apr 26 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

Man, fuck you, hyzmarca. I wanted to say that.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Apr 26 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

its easiest to treat SURGE as a second wave of goblinization, which included the change of existing metas into sub-types. so an elf could goblinize into an elf sub-type, and so on. I expect teh sub-types will show up in one of the books soon, but until then its just a funny-lookin meta with extra racism problems.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Apr 27 2006, 02:06 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

I think a source book with SURGE is still to come. They main thing to point out about SURGE is it only effected a small portion of the population and it is not an ongoing metamorphosis. Those that were unlucky to SURGE did and any that did not is safe. I do expect simmilar events to occur in the future though.

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post Apr 27 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

SURGE was not so bad.

It was chaotic magic at it's finest.... Something wildly unpredictable, who could screw you bad.

And the catgirl interview... From what I know, is nothing cute, no furry or anime fanboyism... I mean what, the girl got used as a toygirl for derenged man as a sick fetish... And the interviewer don't fall into an Interview with a vampire-like fascination... If I remember well wheat I know, he get disturbed/disgusted at the GIRL, and all. In his mind, SHE is the freak.

SURGE, used properly, can add a 'we're fucked' element to the game. Another thing the terrians have no control on it, and a social harrowing stigmata. Imagine, by example, one that gre horns, tail, etc... In one of those muslim countries.

Beside, it's canon, like it or not. It happened. All too easy to fan-recon something that you don't like; but how about trying to use it, to make it work even more?

+Quote Post
juggertroll
post Apr 27 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 8,395

the SURGE idea is very good, adding even more flavor in the shadow run world, but the anime angle of SURGE is very opitional i think.

You mean like paying homage to fantasy by having people randomly Goblinize into Orks and Trolls?

Nice way to see this subject, i like it

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Apr 27 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #17

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

SURGE is still around in SR4, just not in the rulebooks. A character in On the Run is described as having SURGED bone spurs (probably chronic osteocuspus) and astral perception.

+Quote Post
Muskie
post Apr 27 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 8,426

Actually, I'm a furry, myself. I love SR, no doubts there, but I always had to go "Night One with Cyber and Cosmeticware" to get anywhere with my Feline Hacker Gumshoe. Thanks to SURGE, He's no longer such an oddity (not to mention such a pain to Chargen..).

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Apr 27 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Wow where do these people come from. I like my anime on the tv screen not in my SR game.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Apr 27 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Here here, TB. :)

PS You sure we can't play tomorrow?

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post Apr 27 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Apr 27 2006, 11:10 AM)
Wow where do these people come from.  I like my anime on the tv screen not in my SR game.

I fail to see WHERE anime is in Shadowrun, except perhaps as a stereotypical term for bad cartoony things from a guy who know jack. And that was NOT the premise fo SURGE, except a natural magic event, rather chaotic. Also, NOTHING cute in it. Naught.

And if good inspiration for a shadowrun game/campaign can be found in an anime out of all place, well...

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Apr 27 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #22

Running Target

sorry mdynna got to see my grandfather.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Apr 27 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (The ubbergeek)
I fail to see WHERE anime is in Shadowrun, except perhaps as a stereotypical term for bad cartoony things from a guy who know jack. And that was NOT the premise fo SURGE, except a natural magic event, rather chaotic. Also, NOTHING cute in it. Naught.

And if good inspiration for a shadowrun game/campaign can be found in an anime out of all place, well...

Too right, UG. Just because SR is using aspects of fantasy/sci-fi that have been used before doesn't mean they're paying homage to anything. Marvel Universe mutations are fairly ridiculous, they say the same gene that gives you the healing factor could give you superintellect, the ability to turn into metal, or what ever other random-ass thing. At least they gave an obscure if logical Genetic reason for SURGE, it's not inconceivable for hidden genes to express under certain circumstances giving moderate physiological changes. Simpler organisms do it all the time, and without mana.
And while Tolkien was arguably the originator of Orks, the other metatypes like trolls, goblins, elves and dwarves were in literature WAY before ol' J.R.R., and it would be a stretch to say that he is paying homage to previous works.

What's wrong with SURGE? Nothin'!

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 27 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #24

Runner

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Sorry, I must have missed out on the part where they added Orks and Trolls and, oh, magic and other fantasy elements into the game in the middle of the Third Edition.

I looked at SURGE, thought about it for a while, decided I wasn't interested in having it in the game, and ignored it. Considering the number of other meta-plot items that people freely discard left and right in their individual games, I don't see what the problem is with doing it with SURGE.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 27 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #25

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

its not that they discard it thats the problem, its that they come onto this forum and keep talking about themselfs doing so and why its so "bad" (mostly its boils down to some kind of anime-fobia) whenever the topic comes up...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.