JongWK
post Apr 27 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Full story

QUOTE (BBC)
Alternatively, company bosses used to take on the role of matchmaker for their staff, although this is rare now.

:eek:

Possibilities, possibilities...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 27 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Shrinking population? Haven't they ever heard of immigration? And why is Japan becoming less overcrowded a bad thing?

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Apr 27 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Because Japan is incredibly racist and xenophobic and the idea of letting in non-japanese gives them the heebie jeebies.

And if anyone thinks my comments are racist. I am Japanese-american, my parents are Japanese and I have seen enough of the old school type to have soem real experience. Never mnid blacks and whites. there are some in japan who curl up their little toes at the thought of Chinese of Korean's moving in!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 27 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Because on the path to becoming less overcrowded is a period of time where the majority of the population is elderly?

~J

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Apr 27 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Right, there is a growing lack of aid workers to take care of the elderly.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 27 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 27 2006, 03:50 PM)
Because on the path to becoming less overcrowded is a period of time where the majority of the population is elderly?

There's a really horrible anime/movie that deals with this theme, by creating the perfect bed nurse or bed that's a nurse - whatever. It's designed to fulfill the needs of the patient in the most efficient way possible, including simsense. But, naturally, a group of geriatric hackers break the system, unleash the military based AI within, and the bed goes bonkers.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Apr 27 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

I think I saw that on the Scifi channel one very sleepless night a few years ago.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 27 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
Because Japan is incredibly racist and xenophobic and the idea of letting in non-japanese gives them the heebie jeebies.

And if anyone thinks my comments are racist. I am Japanese-american, my parents are Japanese and I have seen enough of the old school type to have soem real experience. Never mnid blacks and whites. there are some in japan who curl up their little toes at the thought of Chinese of Korean's moving in!

I'm a mixed breed also, and my mom grew up in Japan during WW2. It's amazing how resistant she's been to change over the years.

It's amazing how much Western culture they've absorbed, yet still remain vastly racist. In recent years it seems that they've accepted Westerners more, but are still very against non-Japanese Asians.

All in all, it makes me chuckle when I see how badly Japanese culture is misrepresented in most media.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 27 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #9

Dragon

The movie's Roujin Z, and it's made by Katsuhiro Otomo, the dude who made Akira.

And what do you mean by Japanese culture being misrepresented in media? I have no idea on this subject, so please don't construe that as bigoted in any way.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 27 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

All cultures are misrepresented by the media. Have you ever talked to someone in another country and gotten their impression of what they think of how the US is like, or watch their shows in how they envision the US? Likewise, we also have different representations on other cultures of the world and it just happens because everyone has their own view of what they've seen, read, experienced, though some of it might be stereotype and such and they go on to write/report/film in that light.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 27 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

You mean we're not all money grubbing redneck warmongers bent on world domination?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 27 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

sssshhhh, I'm trying to put them offguard so we can hit them in a surpirse strike. :-P

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 27 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #13

Beetle Eater

[Speed dating] was mentioned in a Dead Like Me episode. Seems like a nightmare, almost like a non-virtual chatroom.

+Quote Post
eralston
post Apr 27 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,917

If all the half-breeds are showing up to this forum, I feel compelled to join in.

I am half-Turkish and half-American. Most of my life I spent as a nerd because of race-based alienation, that's just background for this...

In 1996 I went to Turkey and was treated like some sort of demi-god for being american. Despite being very very very very young, young girls would ask me if I have a girlfriend and if my parents were thinking of "Arranging my marriage" (undoubtedly to them so I could take them away [to play with my legos I was so young!]).

However, my mother currently lives in Turkey and when she says she lived moved from America in 2004, most people say "they understand why she left such a bad place".

So, what's the point?

"Racism" is tied much more to "nationalism" which moves with the times (especially in the case of Japan). Ten years ago, America was a great place. Now, not so much in the eyes of the turks (and the middle east at large). BUT the things is, they actually have MORE AMERICAN MEDIA in Turkey now than they did ten years ago.

So is it the media that causes racial confusion? Perhaps, but the greatest influence on international opinion is the actions of your country and your portrayal in something more meaningful than Survivor 94: Mars.

How does this relate to Japan? That's for the next person, this post is too long already

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 27 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)

Rock, I'm also half Japanese. And, yeah, I basically agree with you.

It's kind of funny because for me the idea of Japanese managers playing matchmaker was just something I took for granted. It took me a moment to realize that something like that could sound really twisted if someone hadn't heard about it before.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Apr 27 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #16

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

It's amazing how much Western culture they've absorbed, yet still remain vastly racist. In recent years it seems that they've accepted Westerners more, but are still very against non-Japanese Asians.

that would be because all the other asian races hate them back. nan king come to mind?

occupation of korea?

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 27 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
All cultures are misrepresented by the media.  Have you ever talked to someone in another country and gotten their impression of what they think of how the US is like, or watch their shows in how they envision the US?  Likewise, we also have different representations on other cultures of the world and it just happens because everyone has their own view of what they've seen, read, experienced, though some of it might be stereotype and such and they go on to write/report/film in that light.

Hee, one time a French person asked me (I'm American) if I ate buffalo very often. As an aside, I'm a vegetarian, so I still would not eat buffalo even if it were plentiful in this country.

But back to the speed dating: I can definitely see corps arranging for their employees to marry and have children with other employees. Perhaps they'll even offer salary hikes and other bonuses for each child born into an employee family, as well as "legacy benefits" to encourage second-generation workers. The Nazis offered "racially pure" people all kinds of incentives to have children, such as The Cross Of German Motherhood to women with 4 or more kids, so why wouldn't corps offer similar incentives to their employees?

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Apr 27 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

Quote added so this will make sense (Wounded Ronin):
It's kind of funny because for me the idea of Japanese managers playing matchmaker was just something I took for granted. It took me a moment to realize that something like that could sound really twisted if someone hadn't heard about it before.

Yeah, and there's lots of those aspects in Japanese culture...

... amend that. I guess most cultures have those, even America. I know that my foreign friends/relations look at me funny sometimes too...

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 28 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Speed dating isn't unique to Japan. I didn even think it originated in Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_dating

It is, in general, an ill-concieved idea compared to classical arranged marriages.
The biggest factor in divorce today is the unwillingness of people to actually put work into a relationship because they believe in romantic nonsense including 'love at first sight'. Once the initial chemical rush wears off the parties find themselves unfullfilled and break up so that they can get that rush again. By contrast, traditional arranged marriages encourage both parties to make an effort to have a real relationship.

If SR megacorps want more babies I can see them actually paying people with qualified genomes to do nothing other than repeatedly have children, either through artificial means or the natrual way. You don't even need to get people to date. You just need a plastic cup and a turkey baster. Childrearing can be accomplished by paid professionals and the baby-factories don't need any contact with their offspring, which greatly reduces the time between pregnancies.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 28 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #20

Dragon

But marriage really shouldn't be a constant struggle to not resent somebody; although arranged marriages would give a general assumption of work, you would probably need to work harder not to stab them in the eye with a fork for the simple fact you never chose them to begin with.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 28 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

Not really. In general, having disinterested third parties make the match greatly increases the chance of overall compatibility since a dispassionant observer can more easily see the negative qualities of both parties. Love and lust ultimatly clout one's judgement and are no different from a drug addiction.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 28 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #22

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 27 2006, 07:02 PM)
The biggest factor in divorce today is the unwillingness of people to actually put work into a relationship because they believe in romantic nonsense including 'love at first sight'. Once the initial chemical rush wears off the parties find themselves unfullfilled and break up so that they can get that rush again. By contrast, traditional arranged marriages encourage both parties to make an effort to have a real relationship.

Come on, you know that's only part of the story. And besides, divorce often includes children. The problem speed dating is trying to solve is that of successful people who work dreadful hours trying to find suitable mates with similar social capital. This has been a problem since the rise of sexual equality, because there is a higher value on success and comfort - neither of which is based on children anymore. The issue is far deeper than romantic nonsense; it goes all the way to instant gratification. That's something SR megacorps support, so they will likely sell children as a product and then sell virtual child care workers to parents who grow tired of raising the beasts.

In general, having disinterested third parties make the match greatly increases the chance of overall compatibility since a dispassionant observer can more easily see the negative qualities of both parties.

That's never happened. Matchmakers are motivated by greed and the families are motivated by various incarnations of greed - wether increasing wealth or social status. There has never been a "golden age" of arranged marriages.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 28 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #23

Dragon

What caliber disinterested third parties are we talking about? People who know you as a person, or traditionalist fanatics?

In general, having disinterested third parties make the match greatly increases the chance of overall compatibility since a dispassionant observer can more easily see the negative qualities of both parties.

That's never happened. Matchmakers are motivated by greed and the families are motivated by various incarnations of greed - wether increasing wealth or social status. There has never been a "golden age" of arranged marriages.

Hear, hear.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 28 2006, 01:07 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If SR megacorps want more babies I can see them actually paying people with qualified genomes to do nothing other than repeatedly have children, either through artificial means or the natrual way. You don't even need to get people to date. You just need a plastic cup and a turkey baster. Childrearing can be accomplished by paid professionals and the baby-factories don't need any contact with their offspring, which greatly reduces the time between pregnancies.

I think that a corp would get a bad rep for maintaining such a "breeding program," since it's generally agreed upon in our society that it's better for a child to be raised by a family who loves him than by an institution that couldn't care less about him. The practice of encouraging employees to have large families is much more defensible from a PR perspective. The corps just want to help people experience the joys of parenthood without having to sacrifice their careers, right?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 28 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #25

Midnight Toker

Idealy, people who know you as a person.

Of course, traditionalistic arranged marraiges are only superior in tradtional relationship structures with traditional participants. In alternative or transhumanist relationship structures and amongst participants with unusual philosophical beliefs it may or may not be useful.

Arranged mariage is quite useless amongst those who practice polyamory, for example, an arranged relationships are little more than a suggestion amonst groups that practice communal marriage.

I can see communal marriage and polyamory being popular with more progressive transhumanist corporations to the point where every employee of a corporation may be legally married to every other employee while some corporations would encourage traditional marriage simply because their run by conservatives.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.